Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2016, 04:38 PM   #1

D-Seal

The D-Seal above my bedroom slide has failed and I need to replace it. I have a 2015 38RL, but I would assume the D-Seal is pretty common among different RWs. The cross section of this seal is not a pure "D", like most of the D-Seals I have seen. It is lopsided. The D-shaped ones seem to be readily available. RW customer service tells me to take it to my dealer and won't give me any more info to order the seal from them. My dealer is 4 hours away, and they rarely fix anything properly.

Questions:
1. Has anyone replaced the lopsided seal with a "normal" D-Seal that fits the track?
2. Has anyone found a source for bulk lopsided D-Seal for a direct replacement?

The screw holding the failed D-Seal came out ( a common problem with all the exterior screws on my RW) which caused about 6 feet of the seal to slip out of the rear of the slide into the wind stream as I was traveling. That tore it up pretty good! I'd sure like to have a hundred feet or so on hand to fix the next one. The RW probably has over a hundred feet of the stuff on the slides.
2015 38RL with MORryde IS, residential fridge, DW, washer and dryer, generator, and slide in slide. 2 A/C, 1 HP and a fireplace. Added 17.5 inch wheels. Follows a 2013 Ram dually diesel with 8' bed and Reese 20K.
RW Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:59 PM   #2

I had to replace all of the D seals on my Redwood because they got sticky and tore apart. I just got the seals at the Dealer because I was on the road. Not exactly sure what you mean by lopsided, but I replaced like for like. Ironically the top seal on mine slid out and damaged the paint on the way home from my $300 initial annual inspection

Here is a pretty good outlet for all seals, including the wipers:
- RV Windows

The screws at the ends of those seals are just to help with install, the sealant actually holds them in place. I had a heck of a time finding a sealant that would stick to both the paint and the rubber. After 3 fails, the Dealer gave me Goecel MHRV 2300 clear and that worked perfect.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:31 PM   #3

AP Products has most of the seals needed. They even have one that has an offset. I ordered some off of E-Bay by the foot but I'm not sure it is available anymore. AP also sells a new seal that has wings on it. I'm wanting to try it, thinking it may stop the seals from splitting but I haven't found anyone yet that has tried them. The "D" seal is pretty generic but I think there are 2 different sizes so make sure you measure what you have.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:36 PM   #4

Thanks, Brad. My D-Seal fits into a channel that is mounted to the exterior wall. It slides into the channel and the screws on each end tie the seal to the channel to keep it from slipping out. It is a pretty good way to mount the seal, but the seal is definitely not a D-shape. I'm headed to my RW today, so I'll send a pic.
2015 38RL with MORryde IS, residential fridge, DW, washer and dryer, generator, and slide in slide. 2 A/C, 1 HP and a fireplace. Added 17.5 inch wheels. Follows a 2013 Ram dually diesel with 8' bed and Reese 20K.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW Cal View Post
Thanks, Brad. My D-Seal fits into a channel that is mounted to the exterior wall. It slides into the channel and the screws on each end tie the seal to the channel to keep it from slipping out. It is a pretty good way to mount the seal, but the seal is definitely not a D-shape. I'm headed to my RW today, so I'll send a pic.
It does slide into the channel and the screws do help keep it in place, but that seal should be caulk where it meets the side of the RV. That caulking is what really keeps it in place. The sag you are talking about across the top may be from Redwood or someone using the wrong size "D" seal. If the larger "D" seal was used, it could sag. Pics would be great.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #6

Ya, this is what mine had. As Rick said, my screw wouldn't hold them, it required the sealant.

I did see offset one when looking for this, hadn't seen them before. Interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 422sos1.jpg (39.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 10-28-2016, 08:41 PM   #7

Here is a pic of mine. It is 1" across the base. I have found a similar cross section on a website, but they want $3.50 a foot.
I think the channel the seal fits in is metal, but it is hard to get at to photograph. If I need to caulk the top edge of it, I'm going to have to remove the slide awnings unless someone has an alternative.
Thanks for all the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1412.jpg (188.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 10-28-2016, 08:59 PM   #8

The best price I have seen is from RV Slideout EK D Seal - 1" x 15/16" x 35' - Black
This is the normal cross section D-Seal from AP.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Here is a pic of mine. It is 1" across the base. I have found a similar cross section on a website, but they want $3.50 a foot.
I think the channel the seal fits in is metal, but it is hard to get at to photograph. If I need to caulk the top edge of it, I'm going to have to remove the slide awnings unless someone has an alternative.
Thanks for all the help.
Ya, yours is closer to what I had than my pic. I pulled one from the internet to show the track. I remember they were large and thin like the ones in your pic. I wish I could remember what the Dealer charged, but I don't as it was a few years ago. I don't think it was 3.50 a ft or I might have balked and looked at warranty.

Slide toppers, that is a problem. I didn't have them. If you brought the slide in a bit, is there enough slack to crawl in there pushing up on the topper? That would be a pain to remove them. I honestly might be inclined to seal what I could at the ends, and let the topper do it's job for the rest!.......... maybe I would, I don't know - probably not.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:14 PM   #10

I just looked them up on Amazon - $79.53 for 35 feet.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Ya, yours is closer to what I had than my pic. I pulled one from the internet to show the track. I remember they were large and thin like the ones in your pic. I wish I could remember what the Dealer charged, but I don't as it was a few years ago. I don't think it was 3.50 a ft or I might have balked and looked at warranty.

Slide toppers, that is a problem. I didn't have them. If you brought the slide in a bit, is there enough slack to crawl in there pushing up on the topper? That would be a pain to remove them. I honestly might be inclined to seal what I could at the ends, and let the topper do it's job for the rest!.......... maybe I would, I don't know - probably not.
Good idea to pull in the slide a bit to see if I can get in there. Most of the sites I've looked at are around 3.50 or higher. I have only found one that had the cross section and wall thickness like mine. Now, if I could only remember which site it was!
I'd imagine a normal D cross section would work, but I would prefer to use OEM in case it decided to leak.
I'll let y'all know what I end up doing. This has to be an issue with everyone eventually.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:24 PM   #12

Thanks, Rick. They also have a 100 footer for around 2 bucks a foot. I'm thinking of going this way, since the size should be ok and the D shape can't be that far off. (famous last words!)
Old 10-28-2016, 10:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks, Rick. They also have a 100 footer for around 2 bucks a foot. I'm thinking of going this way, since the size should be ok and the D shape can't be that far off. (famous last words!)
When I researched mine, I found that all the "D" seals are the AP product. The same product is just sold by different retailers. I have never found a "D" seal made by someone else. Did you go to AP Product website and see their offset seal? Also look at the new seal that they have come out with that has the wings on it.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Thanks for all the help.
Could your seal have sagged into this shape?

Mark
Old 10-29-2016, 04:47 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
The seal in the pic looks like the regular Don but is miss shaped from being compressed by the slide
Old 10-29-2016, 07:53 PM   #16

D seal

Quote:
Thanks for all the help.
If you go on you tube and put in RV awning slide removal and replace, several slides come up under different RV slides, it shows you how to release your slide awning and lock spring with a screw driver, which will allow you total access to top of slide, so you can replace seal, caulk and then re attach awning, hope this helps.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff&Karen39MB View Post
If you go on you tube and put in RV awning slide removal and replace, several slides come up under different RV slides, it shows you how to release your slide awning and lock spring with a screw driver, which will allow you total access to top of slide, so you can replace seal, caulk and then re attach awning, hope this helps.
Thanks, Jeff. That really helps!
Old 10-30-2016, 08:17 PM   #18

My top seals were starting to come apart near the ends, Looks like there were too large and when slide was closed, they were smashed good. So far I have replaced the curb side top only (AP 018-312-EKD - 35ft - about $90.00) and its a little smaller "D" and seems to work a lot better, since its not smashed as much when closed. I did use a good clear sealant (Dap 3.0 Gutter and Flashing, Crystal Clear) and seems to stick to both the rubber and side wall. I do not have Slide Toppers nor Full body Paint. Time will tell if the rubber size and sealant type work better then the OEM.
Also the end seals (left and right) seem to be holding up a lot better than the top seal.

Next project will be doing the same thing to the kitchen slide. (bedroom slide seems to be holding up good, all the way around)

Good Luck!!
Old 10-31-2016, 04:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
I just looked them up on Amazon - $79.53 for 35 feet.

I bought 50' box from amazon like 100 bucks
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:07 PM   #20

What brand or kind of caulk.....and is it on amazon?? also
katy4man is offline   Reply With Quote