Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2019, 08:08 PM   #1

Critter Invasion!!! Not impressed with underbelly sealing.

Well I had my first critter invasion in my 2018 GK. I've been full-timing since purchasing my coach in August 2017. I live in a mountain wooded area but have never had a pest or rodent issue which I think is due to my use of electronic rodent repellent devices.

Imagine my surprise when I pulled open my kitchen island trash bin and a ring tailed cat was staring up at me! He immediately ran back through the top of the island to the hole in the floor that the drain and water lies are plumbed through. Apparently he got into the underbelly and was able to get into the island through this opening as well as into the utility bay through the openings for the shower/sink/washer drains.

I have cut some wire mesh to fit the sink island plumbing opening and plan to do the same for the openings in the utility bay but I also need to figure out where he got into the underbelly. I suspect it was at the rear under the rear cap but with the hitch welded to the frame it's difficult to access this area for inspection and to put in blocking material.

Needless to say I am not impressed with Redwood on how well sealed up the coach is. This was no small animal. Luckily I placed a trap under the rear of the coach and baited it with dog food and he took the bait and is being relocated. He was a cute little booger but not in my coach. It's snowing outside today and with the immediate threat gone I think I can wait a few days for warmer weather to figure out where he got in. Does anyone have a guess or have experience on better sealing the underbelly to prevent critter entry? Thank you!

BTW - Ring Tailed Cats are not cats, but are related to Racoons. They are sometimes referred to as Miner's Cats as they were used for rodent control in mines. They definitely like a protein diet. I've lived in Colorado my entire life and this is the first one I've ever encountered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg ring tail cat 1.jpeg (86.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpeg ring tail cat 2.jpeg (225.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpeg floor.jpeg (109.8 KB, 26 views)
PunksRedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:45 PM   #2

Jimni5er

A couple of years ago our whole resort was over run with rats. They were clearing property on both sides of the resort and they were all coming over here. We had them in the underbelly. One RV'er had 1800 worth of electric wire ate up in his truck. I put bags of repellent in the underbelly plus an electronic device. After I made sure they were all out. I took rodent resistant foam spray and sealed around all the plastic panels that were warped due to the heat we have in south Texas. I also bought stainless steel wool and filled all the holes around the hydraulic rods for the slides and any place else they may be able to get in. The resort got an exterminator to come out and put bait boxes all around the perimeter of the resort and it has seemed to work for the past couple of years. But I also believe that Redwood could do a better job of sealing the underbelly. So there customers don't have to deal with these problems. I have a 2016 38RL. Jim
Jimni5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:47 PM   #3

Oh my! This year I reached to pick up a dirt clod and it jump! A little toad had come in. I jumped on the sofa and started screaming. (Just startled) Your critters would have given me a stroke!!! We had friends in Colorado that had a Mountain Lion get in their Sticks N Bricks. My little toad is feeling like a blessing.

2014 38RL, 2014 RAM Dually and Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Loving Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:06 PM   #4

Infestation

I've mentioned this before, but we've had super success with a product called Mouse Free. We spray it on the areas that come in contact with the ground, (like the level up feet, tire bottoms, cords, hoses, etc.) and around any openings that are visible on the frame when looking up from the pavement. We wash it off when we clean the 5th with a power washer and then reapply. It's very easy to apply and not harmful. We also haven't had any roaches or ants either. It has a mild menthol scent. I actually spray it around a number of other things just to keep critters away.
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:56 AM   #5

I also have had excellent luck with "MOUSE FREE". You can get it by the gallon from amazon with a cheap spray gun included. Once you have the gun you can spray it on annually or as needed. Works great but it's a pain to work around because you get it all over you if don't wash it off first. I still plug large holes in the frame with spray foam or rubber closures. I also seal any gaps in the colorplast bottom with black silicone caulk or spray foam. I stuff the large holes that are cut in the plywood flooring under cabinets for plumbing and wires with steel wool. Had mice in our last fiver so I won't take a chance on that happening again.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:05 PM   #6

This is our 1st year with our Redwood 5th wheel. I am pleased with most everything with one exception. The total lack of protection to pests. I was scared to death when I came upon a palmetto roach in the kitchen. I immediately bought every bait station I could get my hands on. When inspecting the obvious areas for entry I was shocked to see how lacking the unit is for protection. Holes and Large gaps everywhere! Too many to list and think it would take a professional to make things secure.
Really disappointing. Anyone have advice? I am not sleeping well.
racemarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:52 PM   #7

Sonic pest repellers & a couple boxes of Fresh Cab, or Cab Fresh, never can remember which, found at Tractor Supply.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:09 AM   #8

This is not exclusive to Redwood.....when I worked at a large RV dealership....I found that no one brand did a good job of sealing EVERYTHING up from critters. Very common for a disappointed customer to come back after after finding mouse turds in their unit...Problem is...we (the tech's) knew they needed work to get a handle on this....and during the PDI I would bring it up with our service manager....he would then follow up with the manufacturer (whom ever it was...we supported 1/2 a dozen big names)....The answer we would get is....they would not pay to have us go over the unit to "critter proof" until the customer filed a complaint after ownership....then and only then they would authorize the repair....Sorry to say....That is how the industry works....totally controlled by "bean counters".....profit is king....
Some would ask ....In knowing this...Why didn't we alert our customers of this fact....so they could complain shortly after ownership so things could be made right ...The industry doesn't work that way....a dealership that starts to show some trend in warranty work....will get into trouble....again ...its not right and the industry needs to change....will it ? Not in my lifetime...
2015 38RL, Full Body Paint, Slide in Slide, full Laundry, RV Fridge, 5.5 Onan, Magnum Inverter Charger, Samlex Solar, Trav'ler Sat System. Heated Tanks, R.O. Filtration, Sailun Tires**2016 F-450, Reese 25K Elite
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote