Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2019, 05:36 PM   #1

Cracking fenders

Much to my upset and disappointment, I noticed that the plastic (or fiberglass, not sure which) decorative fenders on our 2013 36FB Redwood had cracked in several locations. More specifically, beginning next to the screws that connect them to the slide-wall, and traversing downward into the main body of the fender itself. Since our unit has the full body paint, it isn't going to be just a matter of removing the old and rehanging the new ones on our 5er, which I could do. But also having to get them painted to match the now five years of paint fade that has most likely occurred.
What makes no sense about these fenders having cracked, our Redwood has been stationary for its whole life, having only traveled from the factory to the dealer (Lazydays in FL), and to our original site in central Florida. Then once back to Crossroads for warranty work at the factory, and then back home. We've then only moved it twice within the same county to a campground we stayed in for six months, before taking our assignment as permanent campground managers where we have resided for just shy of three years now. Overall mileage on our 5er, is less than 4000 miles. Our slides have probably only been opened and closed 25-times in this RV's entire life. Nobody has ever bumped into these fenders, (or the sides of our RV) which could have stressed them and later made them crack.

All I can do at this point is wonder if the very cold nights we've had over the past few nights here, (and certainly not the coldest or Redwood has been in) and then the 30-plus degree warm ups during the daytime may have been what caused them to fail? Any thoughts or past experience regarding this issue would be appreciated. If willing to share your cost to have yours painted and replaced would be a big help too. Thanks
Eaton Fuller Super 10-speed Transmission
ET Senior Fifthwheel Hitch,articulating air ride pin box
Resident Lead Host @ Ross Prairie Trailhead & Campground
Gary Hage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:29 PM   #2

Gary,

It could be that the screws were tightened too much when installing the fenders. they are only plastic ( as you know ) and with them over tightened, that could cause weakness.

Mine only cracked where my kid ran into it with the lawn tractor.. and where my wife opened the slide onto the scaffolding I had there to do the waxing.

Joe
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:11 PM   #3

I have some cracks in my RW's fenders near the screws and my buddy with a RW took them off and used crazy glue to glue the cracks together, it worked for him. The screws have been over tightened
Old 02-05-2019, 04:46 PM   #4

I had some cracks and a kid ran into one at a campground. I remove the fenders and then on the inside is cut some ABS strips and glued them everywhere possible to add support to the fenders. I cut small ABS washers and super glued them to each hole on the inside for support around each screw. Now they are very solid and stand up to much more punishment. I did this after reading other problems on here and getting the replacements painted to match. Most likely if you take them off and then super glue and add supports you will be fine for a very long time.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:31 PM   #5
Site Team

I too had one fender that started to crack at a screw hole. I riveted an aluminum strap on the backside, across the crack, near the bottom of the crack. This seems to have stopped the crack.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:53 PM   #6

I purchased a small fiberglass kit from Walmart and ran it on the backside of each screw hole. Has worked well with no further issues. Also installed a rubber washer in behind the plastic.
gflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:53 PM   #7

One of ours (2013 36RL) cracked in three places, sitting by itself for 7 months in a cold garage. It had nothing to blame but itself Redwood covered it under warranty and although they sent it in black plastic, they later agreed to paint it metallic black per the paint code after I refused it.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 04:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hage View Post
Much to my upset and disappointment, I noticed that the plastic (or fiberglass, not sure which) decorative fenders on our 2013 36FB Redwood had cracked in several locations. More specifically, beginning next to the screws that connect them to the slide-wall, and traversing downward into the main body of the fender itself. Since our unit has the full body paint, it isn't going to be just a matter of removing the old and rehanging the new ones on our 5er, which I could do. But also having to get them painted to match the now five years of paint fade that has most likely occurred.
What makes no sense about these fenders having cracked, our Redwood has been stationary for its whole life, having only traveled from the factory to the dealer (Lazydays in FL), and to our original site in central Florida. Then once back to Crossroads for warranty work at the factory, and then back home. We've then only moved it twice within the same county to a campground we stayed in for six months, before taking our assignment as permanent campground managers where we have resided for just shy of three years now. Overall mileage on our 5er, is less than 4000 miles. Our slides have probably only been opened and closed 25-times in this RV's entire life. Nobody has ever bumped into these fenders, (or the sides of our RV) which could have stressed them and later made them crack.

All I can do at this point is wonder if the very cold nights we've had over the past few nights here, (and certainly not the coldest or Redwood has been in) and then the 30-plus degree warm ups during the daytime may have been what caused them to fail? Any thoughts or past experience regarding this issue would be appreciated. If willing to share your cost to have yours painted and replaced would be a big help too. Thanks
They break because of the void behind the screws the screws are self drilling and are installed too tite so the plastic breaks also the bad news is they don’t make them anymore that’s what they told me six months ago I needed one and all they had was two so I got both and no I don’t want to sell my only spare
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:05 PM   #9

Replace your screws with machine screws and plastilock nuts. You can then be sure that they are not screwed in too tight and will not fall out.. We had one crack because the bolt that is supposed to hold the metal panel in place was through a hole in the support bracket that had been drilled to large and the bolt pulled through so everything was flapping.

Everyone should check to see if these panel bolts are in place as, if they are, it takes most of the strain off the fender screws.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:05 PM   #10

Fender skirts

I recently purchase a fender skirt from the company listed below. Make sure you measure everything correctly. They by mistake sent the wrong one and I moved it to one of the RV dealers for free.
They were very good about taking care of the problem.
I believe these are molded as you order them, all you need to do when you get them is pull off the protective plastic and drill the holes.
Best of luck.
Jennifer Hawkins
Tiara RV Sales, Inc.
(574)264-2505
Jennifer@tiararvsales.com
rjberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:08 PM   #11

Jennifer Hawkins
Tiara RV Sales, Inc.
(574)264-2505
Jennifer@tiararvsales.com

You can order them from this company. Google the name and you will find them. Make sure you measure correctly . Best of luck! They match perfectly. I have a 2013 RW
Old 02-17-2019, 06:00 PM   #12

Jennifer, Thanks. Do have a part number for the fender skirts? What color did you get? Cost? Thanks again for sharing. Ozzie
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:56 PM   #13

Fender skirts

You need to go on Tira web site to look your fenders up. Lots and lots of different genders. I drew it out and measured everything before I ordered it. Mine are black
rjberry is offline   Reply With Quote