Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2015, 06:53 PM   #1

Couple of Questions

First an update on my awning, I did replace the fuse but it blow again. We found a short in the wiring as it exited the side wall. There was no silicone or any protection at the entry point.

We have a 2015 38GK with a residential fridge. How many batteries should I have? We have 2 should there be 3?

Does the fridge run off the inverter fulltime?

We came from a motorhome that was very solid on the ground. What is the best was to eliminate all the motion in this 5th wheel?

Thanks... Ian
Old 04-24-2015, 08:57 PM   #2

in our 38gk we have 3 batteries with the res pkg.... two up front and one in the driver side front basement...

typically I turn the inverter off when we store the rv...
we don't WANT the fridge on while in storage.

but, since even with the inverter off,
if you plug in,
it will run,
so we also put the fridge in demo mode by pressing and holding the
freezer and power freeze for 3 seconds or so to toggle it on or off.
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:47 PM   #3

The newer RWs with the Residential package are only getting 2 batteries (generic no name group 29s). I've done some prelim measurements and think I could squeeze in 2 more sometime in future.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Smith View Post

Does the fridge run off the inverter fulltime?

We came from a motorhome that was very solid on the ground. What is the best was to eliminate all the motion in this 5th wheel?

Thanks... Ian
Ian,

No, the refer only runs on the inverter when there is no shore or generator power. The inverter has a built in transfer switch. What it does is look for shore/generator power first. If present, it bypasses the inverter function and sends the ac on to the refer.

If there is no shore/generator power, then the inverter draws power from the batteries, inverts it to ac and sends it along to the refer.

BTW, we sometimes dry camp.....I use 4-6 volt batteries and have a Honda 2000 generator.

As far as the motion, I installed a rear stabilizer that helps a bunch. Although I used a 24", BAL also makes a 30" which would have worked better. With the 24", I have to use blocks most of the time to reach ground. Amazon sells them both,
here is a link to the 30" Amazon.com: BAL 24830 24" Deluxe Telescopic Stabilizing Jack: Automotive

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Smith View Post

Thanks... Ian
We installed the Steady Fast Stabilizer System on our Redwood, made a big difference, especially when the Washing Machine is running.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote