Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2012, 06:40 AM   #1

We're hooked up to an electric only site and woke up yesterday with very dim lights, no water pressure and rising temps in the refrigerator. The RV's batteries were dead. I checked the distribution panel and discovered the CONV breaker had tripped. I reset the breaker figuring that would take care of the problem but it didn't so I got out my trusted multimeter and started checking voltages and fuses. There was no DC power coming out of the converter.
The company that manufactures the converter, World Friendship, has a tech support number so I called it and told the tech what testing I had done. He determined that the converter was bad and needed replaced.
My next call was to the nearest Redwood/Crossroads authorized service center to get a replacement converter, no luck there.
I then contacted Brian Emmons at Redwood and told him what my problem was and what steps I had taken to remedy it. He took my phone number and said he'd make some calls and then contact me. A half hour later he called me wanting to know the address to the RV park I was in because he was going to overnight a new converter to me. Understandably they want my old converter so they will include a return shipping label so I can send it back.
I have dealt with Brian Emmons for several other warranty issues I've had and he has responded in similar manner every time. I cant say enough about his customer service ethic and what a comfort it is knowing I can contact him when I have a problem. Redwood better hang on to this guy.

Also. Even though it sounds like they were named by a Miss America contestant, World Friendship has excellent customer service as well.

TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #2

OMG Steve:
You've had your share of problems! Good thing you are handy & have Brian behind you . While you're in there, suggest you mount it on some vibration isolating feet. But maybe that converter noise is noise is coming from the fan(?)
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #3

Hey Steve, What do you think might have made it fail? Do you have a surge protector installed yet?

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #4

Not sure what caused it to fail.. I heard the breaker trip but there was no indication of a power surge. You how how electronic parts are.. they either work fine or not at all... no warning when they are ready to go belly up.
No.. I don't have a surge protector but I really should get one. We're in a new campground every week so the risk of getting bad power is probably greater for us than for campers that stay in one cg for the season.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:17 AM   #5

You already know the answer... get a 50Amp surge protector, before your power hits your RV. Whether a stand alone unit on power post or hard wired into it. Will save many of your systems. Kind of like insurance.Best of luck. Edited by: Adamsvr
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #6

Steve Campers World has the Progressive 50amp surge protector on sale and if you click at the top you can see what you have to do to get more off plus if your a GS member you get shipping free. I just picked up the surge protector and the water softener you suggested shipped to the house for under $400. Only thing is I have to wait to get them. Internet only deal so they had to be shipped.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #7

Thanks for the heads up... I'll check it out. The shipping may be an issue because we move every week but maybe I can upgrade it for a nominal fee.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #8

Ive never lost a converter in the past 18 years in my other two RVs(10 yrs in one and 8 in other). I never had additional surge protection. Im reading now many of these " World Friendship" units are goin south. Maybe I just got lucky with my other two Rvs but I suspect not. I will soon be changing my "World Friendship" unit out. Any suggestions on a good robust quality unit???
Thxs
martaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:26 AM   #9

We got our surge protector from Camping World. It has been a saver many times with the surges due to the extreme heat and high usage in the RV Park. It is not cheap ($300) and is called a Progressive EMS-PT50C. I think they are $400 right now.. It was recommended by a fellow full timer. We even got a lock and chain for it.
Rooksfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooksfive
We got our surge protector from Camping World. It has been a saver many times with the surges due to the extreme heat and high usage in the RV Park. It is not cheap ($300) and is called a Progressive EMS-PT50C. I think they are $400 right now.. It was recommended by a fellow full timer. We even got a lock and chain for it.

We opt for the same surge protector. I didn't want to hard wire one in for the trouble of doing itand if there was a problem with it, we would be stuck. this way we can always unplug it and plug in directly untill we get a replacement.

Lillyputz
Old 07-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #11
Site Team

I just ordered a hard wired surge protector.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #12

I think that's the right one to get. Which unit did you order?
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #13
Site Team

I'm not sure to be honest, I found it at the Camping World web site

Old 07-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #14

I don't like to appear this stupid, however, exactly where IS the converter on these redwoods?