Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2019, 09:31 PM   #1

Considering 3rd AC - questions?

Hello. With summer just around the corner I've been considering the addition of the 3rd AC unit on my 2018GK. I have some question for those of you that have the 3rd AC unit or who have installed one. My AC section of my power distribution panel is full so I cannot add the breaker there. For those who have the 3rd AC unit from the factory where is the breaker installed? If you added the 3rd unit at the dealer how/where did they install the breaker? I'm pretty sure I need to upgrade my Power Control System module and control panel as well to accommodate the 3rd AC unit. My current PCS only controls two AC units and the electric water heater. For those of you that have the 3rd AC and the PCS could you post a pic of your PCS panel? Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image2(1).jpeg (99.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpeg image1(2).jpeg (102.6 KB, 8 views)
PunksRedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:35 PM   #2

First let me say I don't have 3 acs & am not an electrician.
As I understand even with 3 acs you'll only have 2 running at a time unless the 3rd is powered separately with its own power source.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:49 AM   #3

We were in Disney here in Florida this past October when they had a week of 95 plus temps and we kept our interior at 72 to 74 keeping the shades down and both ACs running.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:13 AM   #4

the start up inrush current of 3 AC units (two on the same leg of power) may be high enough that it could trip the 50 AMP breaker feeding the rig. Motor start up currents are roughly 5 time the running name plate amps. I would suggest you look into the window shades, keep your awning faced into the sun pushed out. Next I would suggest looking at the return air path into the AC units , many owners have found the return air and supply air mixing in the AC unit plenums . Some owners have found restricted return air ducts. Bottom line is I think it would be best if you do add the 3rd unit to plug it in directly to the panel in the site not wired via the coach 50amp power cord.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunksRedwood View Post
Hello. With summer just around the corner I've been considering the addition of the 3rd AC unit on my 2018GK. I have some question for those of you that have the 3rd AC unit or who have installed one. My AC section of my power distribution panel is full so I cannot add the breaker there. For those who have the 3rd AC unit from the factory where is the breaker installed? If you added the 3rd unit at the dealer how/where did they install the breaker? I'm pretty sure I need to upgrade my Power Control System module and control panel as well to accommodate the 3rd AC unit. My current PCS only controls two AC units and the electric water heater. For those of you that have the 3rd AC and the PCS could you post a pic of your PCS panel? Thank you!
I have 3 ac and the factory was kind enough to wire breaker panel wrong ...Here is a link to a panel i used to re wire mine ...http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/...rs-4776-3.html
Hope it helps ...I can run all 3 of my ac units when on shore power..

Brad
2018 RW 3991RD
2018 Ram Dually
brad chilton is offline   Reply With Quote