Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2018, 01:46 AM   #1

Coax cable has a short

The cable that connects my roof top satellite antenna to the living room receiver has a short in it. Does anyone have an idea as to how the coax is typically installed in the rv. I have the wiring diagram but it doesn’t help finding the actual routing in the rv.
I have a 2014 36RL.

Joe
Joerpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:28 AM   #2

Are you saying that with the coax disconnected at both ends there is a short between the center conductor and the putter shield? If so the first I would try is to remove the coax connectors and check the raw cable. Usually shorts are due to a connector failure. Only other way is that a nail or screw penetrated the cable along the path.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:42 AM   #3

Yes I understand about the short. I’m trying to find a way to replace the cable But don’t know how it is routed thru the RV.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:20 AM   #4

Well, we have a 2013 RL and our sat cables for the living room enter the slide room behind the lower left cabinet drawer. Take that drawer out and you'll see the orange cables going up to the top cabinet. They must traverse on one of the Lippert bendable looms that support the cables when the slide is extended and retracted. Look at the back of the slide outside.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #5

Satellite Cable Short

If you haven’t checked the back side of the connectors on the roof I would start there. When I installed my winegard directv antenna I took both the front and rear connectors out looking for the control cable (which was not there, I might add (sore subject for another day). I noticed the screw in connector for both cables were barely screwed on the back side. They were so loose I am surprised they were still connected at all. After you unscrew the three phillips screws and gently pry the mounting plate from the roof, check the back side cables, and don’t forget to reseal the roof.

Good luck. I hope you figure it out.
kmiller75771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:00 PM   #6

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I just had a new upgraded roof installed an am reluctant to break the seal. Guess Ill go back to over the air TV for now.

Thanks again,

Joe