Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2015, 09:18 PM   #1

Check Your Water Heater Wiring

I turned on our electric water heater a couple days ago and after a bit there was a smell of burnt electrical. Found it last night, pulled the cover off the limit switches.

It you look at the black wire just above the metal, you can see where the metal cut the insulation. Think I may change the wires and cut the metal back.

Rick
Old 12-04-2015, 09:52 PM   #2

WOW!!! We have got the same year and model RW. I know what I'm doing the minute I get home. Thank goodness you caught it when you did.
PsychoBob65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:56 PM   #3

Rick did you just remove the cover on the outside of the RW to access this or is this behind the basement wall?
PsychoBob65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:16 PM   #4

You can get access to this area of the hot water tank by just removing the outside cover. A couple of years ago I fried my thermostat. The wiring was fine.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:17 PM   #5

This is not the first time this issue has come up. Many of us with earlier models have already checked these wires out. It seems that most have the metal cutting in to the wires. I can't believe that the manufacturer is still producing HWH this way. You do not access this behind the basement wall. The cover is located on the HWH above and to the left of the drain plug. 2 screws hold it on.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoBob65 View Post
Rick did you just remove the cover on the outside of the RW to access this or is this behind the basement wall?
Bob,

As others have said, just remove the outside cover and the black cover that has the words" Push to Reset" on it.

Rick
Old 12-04-2015, 11:57 PM   #7

Traveled with good friend, who also has a RW, last year & had that happen to both trailers within about 24 hours of each other, took pliers & flattened the metal & also cut about a 1/4" off of the reset cover. On his the metal cut the wire & on mine the cover pinched the wire against the water heater.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:18 PM   #8

I had the same problem, smelled plastic burning then got only lukewarm water, the wiring and thermostat was fried.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:36 PM   #9

Happened to me as well. It's unbelievable to me that these things aren't part of a safety recall. The manufacturers know it's happening. I think it demonstrates what little influence is wielded by the RVIA.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:38 PM   #10
Site Team

well.......

they replaced the trouble RV refrigerator with residential units. Maybe the water heater is next. They need to look at the instant hot water heaters.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:41 AM   #11

............and the further away they get from being campers and the closer to being mobile homes..........
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:47 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
well.......

they replaced the trouble RV refrigerator with residential units. Maybe the water heater is next. They need to look at the instant hot water heaters.

Dave........

The semi-custom 5th wheel we were looking at back in 2008/2009 had the "on demand" water heaters as an option. They claimed that the units were more efficient than the standard water that operate on LP because you only used LP when needed rather than keeping a tank of water hot all the time. But, an electric water heater can be "no cost" to operate if your electric is included in the site rent like where we stay in Florida. Although, we are likely paying for it.........we just don't see a separate bill for electric.

Is the "on demand" water heater what you have in your MH?

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:47 AM   #13

Have had this happen to our Redwood and to our previous fifth wheel, its like what is the probability of getting hit by lighting or winning the lottery twice, can happen but in rare occasions, these defects are happening to often but I assume the industry doesn't care until one of these rv's goes up in flames with lives lost and it is determined it was a defective water heater. It's like where there are multiple accidents at an intersection with out a stop light, then a fatality occurs and then a stop light is installed a little to late for the family that lost a loved one.
2013 36FL, Winegard Trav'ler Dish 1000, Stacked W/D, Heat pump, Trailair Air Ride 5th Wheel Pin Box, 2016 3500 Ram Longhorn Edition Crew Cab 4x4, 50 gal auxilliary tank, 5000 Airlift bags, 26K Husky hitch
riciren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:11 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
Dave........

The semi-custom 5th wheel we were looking at back in 2008/2009 had the "on demand" water heaters as an option. They claimed that the units were more efficient than the standard water that operate on LP because you only used LP when needed rather than keeping a tank of water hot all the time. But, an electric water heater can be "no cost" to operate if your electric is included in the site rent like where we stay in Florida. Although, we are likely paying for it.........we just don't see a separate bill for electric.

Is the "on demand" water heater what you have in your MH?

Guy

Yes and No
I have a Aqua Hot system that works off LP (some work off diesel) and electric for small quantities. I think there's room for improvement
Old 12-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Parents have a new 2016 Winnebago with the Tank less LP water heater. They are on their 3rd unit in less than 3 months. It tells you something when the dealer has this high dollar item in stock
Old 12-08-2015, 01:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Yes and No
I have a Aqua Hot system that works off LP (some work off diesel) and electric for small quantities. I think there's room for improvement
What are you noticing that you are not happy with?
Old 12-08-2015, 02:44 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
What are you noticing that you are not happy with?
I've had some issue with the system since I got the MH and now it's in the shop being reworked. Entegra is holding Aqua Hot's feet to the fire which is nice and we finally identified the "ghost" issue. Entegra really beats up the suppliers to help the owners which is refreshing.

The problem with RV hot water is that the campgrounds have only limited amperage and due to the nature of RVs, you can only carry a limited amount of energy source with you for heating and cooling. So on electric, you're using precious amperage. While on gas, you're worried about all the flammable stuff around the heater.

As for the Aqua Hot system, you have to plan ahead because it takes several hours for the heated floors to heat but I love all the plumbing in the basement that's thermostatically controlled.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:09 PM   #18

Quote:
I've had some issue with the system since I got the MH and now it's in the shop being reworked. Entegra is holding Aqua Hot's feet to the fire which is nice and we finally identified the "ghost" issue. Entegra really beats up the suppliers to help the owners which is refreshing.

The problem with RV hot water is that the campgrounds have only limited amperage and due to the nature of RVs, you can only carry a limited amount of energy source with you for heating and cooling. So on electric, you're using precious amperage. While on gas, you're worried about all the flammable stuff around the heater.

As for the Aqua Hot system, you have to plan ahead because it takes several hours for the heated floors to heat but I love all the plumbing in the basement that's thermostatically controlled.
So after everything you said - I didn't understand. Are you having a technical problem with the aqua hot or design problem?

Would Entegra have been better off going with electric floors like most of the other manufacturers? Is the capacity of the Aqua Hot challenged with hot water heated floors in addition to coach heat and general hot water?

Planning ahead, do you mean preparing for a trip, or prior to arriving at a destination? Does the Aqua Hot draw heat from the engine HW while rolling?
Old 12-08-2015, 04:56 PM   #19
Site Team

The Aqua Hot works good but it takes some planning. If I want to leave in cold weather I have to turn the system on about 12 hours ahead of time. Whereas with the Redwood you just flip a switch at the time of need. Not long ago I was on the road and it turned cold unexpectedly. I ran the diesel generator with the 3 heat pumps because I didn’t think ahead of time to turn on the AH (the dash heat won’t heat the entire coach). The system does work while driving however unlike the diesel models mine does not work off the coach’s engine coolant. The electric side is only good for washing your hands (about 5 or 6 gallons of hot water)

For hot showers, I turn on the burner about 10 minutes in advance. While parked, the AH does preheat the diesel, and keeps the basement toasty and all water lines and tanks are surrounded by heat so as long as I keep it fed with LP I never have to winterize. My LP tank is 50 gallons and it does seem to be energy efficient.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:33 PM   #20

Thanks Dave, I didn't think of traveling into cold country. So the electric side of the aqua hot is enough to maintain once its hot, or is it not even good for that?

Looking at the Anthem and I thinks its diesel electric only. LP delete.