Old 12-22-2015, 10:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTXRAS View Post
I turned on our electric water heater a couple days ago and after a bit there was a smell of burnt electrical. Found it last night, pulled the cover off the limit switches.

It you look at the black wire just above the metal, you can see where the metal cut the insulation. Think I may change the wires and cut the metal back.

Rick
Thanks for the info. I headed off the problem before it cut, thanks to you. My fix was to just take a pair of pliers and squeeze the metal at the bottom down, making more room and a soft, rolled edge. Thanks to this forum, that's two problems I headed off before damage happened. The first was the washer drain that goes under the bed. Someone said it was prone to leak if not secured good, and it was dripping a little water upon inspection. Fixed it as soon as my coach was delivered.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:15 PM   #32

A few weeks ago I de-winterized our RW to go glamping for Easter weekend. While I was reinstalling the anode rod I decided it was a good time to check my water heater wiring behind the reset cover. My wiring looked fine. But did have the indentations in the wiring insulation as others have mentioned. Again this was not from the metal frame of the water heater itself, but the lip of the reset cover that protrudes inside. It is made of a hard plastic and I just removed 1/4" or so from the top and bottom edges where it needed it and put the cover back on. Should be good to go. Now if Mother Nature would return to spring weather and quit snowing again, we will be out in a few more weeks. Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Water Heater 01.jpg (130.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Water Heater 02.jpg (128.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Water Heater 03.jpg (80.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Water Heater 04.jpg (52.6 KB, 4 views)
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:19 PM   #33

check your water heater wiring

Thanks to this post, I went out and checked mine, found the black wire had some rub marks on it, also looked at red wires going up top, they looked close also, so took your advise used my pliers and bent both top and bottom back to create a soft edge.
Great post, stopped a potential problem.
Love this community.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote