Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2013, 10:42 PM   #1

OK, I'm stumped... our porch light is burnt out so I tried to change the bulb. Sounds like a simple task so I get out the screwdriver to take off the light cover, this thing has four screws that seem long enough to go through the wall, finally get all the screws out but the cover wont budge!

So can someone please tell me how to get this thing loose so I can get to the bulbs?

Thanks!!!
Old 08-15-2013, 11:25 PM   #2

I had heard before that the cover was caulked around the edges. You may have to break the seal and then re-seal.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:24 AM   #3

Just had ours off, you need to cut the caulk and then pry the lens off. had to use straight screwdriver and hammer to break seal on ours.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:36 AM   #4

Just did the same thing. You were lucky to get the screws out. They use that square head screw. Once you get the screws out, there is a metal plate under the plastic lens, you need to separate the two of them. The caulk is really tough to break loose. I updated to LEDs when I did it so I won't have to do it again for awhile hopefully.

USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #5

Thanks for the responses...why would they design this thing so that it is so difficult to get to the bulbs? The scare light was easy to get into, the cover is in two pieces and the part tha covers the bulbs was easy to get off, it has a rubber/plastic seal which prevents water from getting into the electronics.

Radio_Flyer...where did you get the LED bulbs?
Old 08-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #6

While you're at it, make sure the lens in on correctly. About half of our exterior lights had the lens upside down, I.E., the drain notch at the top allow water in that then can't get out. On some of the marker lites they even tried to seal the drain notch rather than mount the lens correctly. BTW the lens are marked which it top!!!!!! Skilled Craftsmen, I think not, or maybe they just can't read.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #7

I got mine from HERO-LEDs. I'll get the order info when I get to my email. Some folks on here also order from here - http://www.m4products.com with good luck. Make sure to get two, one for the porch, one for the scare and two of the amber bulbs for the porch and under the outside stairs.</span>

USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #8

If you don't have one already, get yourself a screwdriver or two for that square headed screw. They are used extensively throughout. I have a bit for my drill to fit them.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflame
If you don't have one already, get yourself a screwdriver or two for that square headed screw. They are used extensively throughout. I have a bit for my drill to fit them.
I've always had the square shank screwdriver, but I've found that all the screw types on this 5er will take a phillips as well. Nice new design.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Papa Stu
It's called a Robertson head screw....and it's a Canadian invention. Usually found in three sizes depanding on application.
Papa Stu is offline   Reply With Quote