Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #1

My first question on the forum. After getting on the roof of our new trailer, it's obvious that it wouldn't pass the yearly inspection. Can someone tell me what brands and products were used by Redwood. On both front and rear caps where the selflevelingstopped, what ever they used the last 8-10" was very poorly done. It looks bad from the ground and worse from above.

I also have the amber light out above the door. The lense is sealed to the body with clear caulk. At least I hope it's just the bulb. It's much easier for me to fix what I can myself.

Mark
Old 05-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #2

I had to replace the bulb on mine after we left the dealer. Didn't think to check it before taking delivery. Mine was caulked heavy also and had to carefully use a knife to cut through it. Am in the process of changing to led's
Old 05-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
Rod

I know what you mean about the last few inches at the end of the roof seals, as mine is the same. I ordered the Alpha Systems Self leveling Sealant p1015 from RV Parts Nation at $6.00 per tube. This is the correct sealant for the roof material, but I suggest applying it in thin layers, as it is self leveling, and on a slope.

Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #4

Mark,
Same issue, gaps showing thru in a couple of places + cap ring seems not be crewed down in several places it is sticking up. Took pictures before taking in for yearly insp. Yearly inspection is $324.00 + cost of any issues found. Not sure what the warranty covers. LG DVD player was used a total of 3 times since REDWOOD WAS BOUGHT, RV shop tells me, NOT COVERED. REDWOOD 36 FL BOUGHT in 10/2011. I am really disappointed. I am beginning to wonder, our REDWOOD has a approx. total miles 120. Batteries died 2 times, once I couldn't get REDWOOD off truck until I charged batteries separate and then Hooked up to truck power. Bad battery seller shop told me, I was told I had to buy a new battery after 3 weeks, they finally replaced. While I was Checking power found battery power wired wrong. Fixed wiring seems to be working.
BTW IF YOU WANT photo's P.M. Me and I will send you a copy.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod
I know what you mean about the last few inches at the end of the roof seals, as mine is the same. I ordered the Alpha Systems Self leveling Sealant p1015 from RV Parts Nation at $6.00 per tube. This is the correct sealant for the roof material, but I suggest applying it in thin layers, as it is self leveling, and on a slope.

Thanks, I didn't realize they used Alpha Systems and not Dicor. Just looked at the Alpha web site. They have a #1010 that is not self-leveling. The dealer told me to use Sika-flex on the roof.

I still would like to know what product the clear used on the side walls is. I have used RV-Proflex clear before. Might have to go with that.

Mark
Old 05-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod
I know what you mean about the last few inches at the end of the roof seals, as mine is the same.Â* I ordered the Alpha Systems Self leveling Sealant p1015 from RV Parts Nation at $6.00 per tube.Â* This is the correct sealant for the roof material, but I suggest applying it in thin layers, as it is self leveling, and on a slope.
Â*Thanks, I didn't realize they used Alpha Systems and not Dicor. Â*Just looked at the Alpha web site. They have a #1010 that is not self-leveling. The dealer told me to use Sika-flex on the roof.
Â*
I still would like to know what product the clear used on the side walls is. I have used RV-Proflex clear before. Might have to go with that.
Â*
Mark
Oh Mark, don't use Proflex on the roof. That stuff is nasty. Its great for sealing lights and other tight gap equipment, but it would just make a mess on the roof.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #7

I'm talking about clear Proflex to seal the light on the side wall. There is nothing nasty about Proflex if you know what your doing. I've used it on my Lance for 10+ years.

Mark
Old 05-15-2013, 12:12 AM   #8

Use what you want, I wouldn't let it near my roof. Its actually not even designed for the roof.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant
Use what you want, I wouldn't let it near my roof. Its actually not even designed for the roof.

I'm not TALKING about the roof. I'm talking clear around the light above the entrance door. So far noone has told me what Redwood uses. Maybe noone knows.

Mark
Old 05-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant

I'm not TALKING about the roof. I'm talking clear around the light above the entrance door. So far noone has told me what Redwood uses. Maybe noone knows.
Â*
Mark
I misunderstood you Mark. I also use ProFlex around the lights and trim - it is a great product for that.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #11

Geocel 2300 MHRV vehicle body sealant is what a tech at Crossroads gave me info on.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired educators
Geocel 2300 MHRV vehicle body sealant is what a tech at Crossroads gave me info on.

Thanks, I'll look at this.

Mark
Old 05-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired educators

Just looked at the data sheets on the Geocel site. 2300MHRV appears to be relabeled RV PROFLEX.

Mark
Old 05-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #14

The tech sent me a tube. Apparently they must have a lot in stock before company changed the name of the product to Proflex. It is a great product and works better than anything I have tried before.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:33 AM   #15

If we let the dealer do the maintenance and they sign off on it then we are cleared on any liability, just like I have the 4 year extended maintenance plan on my truck, Ford handles EVERYTHING for this 4 years.