Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2015, 08:37 PM   #21

I always double check the pin and do the pull test. This way I check the brakes and the hitch at the same time.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenhardt View Post
I agree AA. I too don't do a pull test now that I have the leveling system. I just make sure the pin latch is closed. However, don't think, as Dave is suggesting, that it would hurt to take most of the weight off the front jacks and do a little pull on the fiver.
Oh I agree, I always test the brakes before I leave, which is essentially a pull test but without the safety net of the landing gear. I'm actually afraid if I dropped it with the landing gear partially retracted it would hurt the frame for the twist it would get trying to land with one side higher than the other. Or maybe they would level out with a load on each side, I just don't know.

My buddy has a remote that raises the electric landing gear, and he just didn't raise it quite high enough and he pushed back and knocked his trailer off the 6" blocks under the landing gear and "kawham" it hit the bed of the truck. I felt bad, as it's the 2nd time he has done that.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:59 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenhardt View Post
I agree AA. I too don't do a pull test now that I have the leveling system. I just make sure the pin latch is closed. However, don't think, as Dave is suggesting, that it would hurt to take most of the weight off the front jacks and do a little pull on the fiver.
That's exactly what I do. I believe a lot of weight is taken off the landing gear by the time the first leg comes off the ground. I make sure that I am not too aggressive when I do the pull. I just activate the trailer brakes and slowly let off the truck brakes for just a second. Like someone else mentioned I don't want to put too much stress on my landing gear, but I feel more confidant that I am hitched by doing a pull test. I also physically check to ensure my hitch jaws are locked around the pin, and my Curt hitch is color coded to let me know the status of the hitching process.
Can never be too safe
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:40 AM   #24

Has never happened yet but this is why I installed this. Sooner or later I will make a mistake??

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (529.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 10-26-2015, 03:29 AM   #25

It's easy to do a pull test with the 6 point landing gear. When you raise the front gear you will see it raises one side, then the other. Mine raises the off door side first then the door side. After you raise the one side, let it raise the other about an inch and then stop. Now, lower the front gear again. It will start lowering the gear that it raised first. Let it get to about the same height as the one you didn't raise and do pull test. This works on my SOB everytime. so I would think it would be the same on all Lipert systems.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:30 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
Has never happened yet but this is why I installed this. Sooner or later I will make a mistake??

Steve
Now that is interesting. Would that devise be capable of holding the weight of a RW slipping off the hitch It honestly doesn't look like it could, but I hope it works for you if you ever need it.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:01 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post

Steve
I have one of those also. Just cheap insurance for a possible senior moment. Hope I never use it.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:23 AM   #28
S&K

We were parking our RW and ready to unhook her, and as Ken pulled away... I couldn't get out of my mouth fast enough that the 7-pin plug was still hooked up to the truck. Well, it wasn't after that.... and Ken had to do some quick repairs to it because the RW went crazy without that plug on the end!

We now check and double check unhooking from the kingpin!

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingman View Post
It's easy to do a pull test with the 6 point landing gear. When you raise the front gear you will see it raises one side, then the other. Mine raises the off door side first then the door side. After you raise the one side, let it raise the other about an inch and then stop. Now, lower the front gear again. It will start lowering the gear that it raised first. Let it get to about the same height as the one you didn't raise and do pull test. This works on my SOB everytime. so I would think it would be the same on all Lipert systems.
Thanks, I never thought of that. I'll try it next time out.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:31 PM   #30

Normally when I hook up once I pack into the pin it will lift the Trailer off the Jacks about 1". I then lock the hitch and hook up the 7 pin connector. Once that is hooked I do the pull test to check the connection this way I have protection of the bed getting damaged as trailer would only drop 1" if they came apart. Once tested then I put jacks up the rest of the way. I have never had one come unhitched and pray it never happens has always been a worry.