Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2018, 07:32 PM   #1

Broken Spring issue on pre 2016 Redwood models

Below is a link to the NHTSA federal government agency where a safety complaint can be filed for your suspension issues. Anyone that has bent or broken a spring need to file a formal complaint this may result in a manditory safety recall where the company will have to cover the cost of upgrades to your Redwood. The more people that follow through with this the better the chance of corrective action can happen. The form is very easy to fill out you will need your VIN number and type up the history of your issue. This form is for safety related only and highly recommend that everyone fill this out even if you have upgraded your suspension feeling you needed to for the safety of yourself and the general public around you. (MAY help offset the cost you have incurred for your upgrades.)

Don't get me wrong I love my Redwood and plan on living in it to see this great country in the very near future. My deal is Thor the parent company is only concerned about the profit and not the safety of our community. The fact the they have voluntarily raised the standard suspension to 8000 pound axles in 2016 show where they have decided to do the right thing.

www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIsssue

Upper Right corner of the page is the link "Report a problem" to get to the form

HDT 1999 Volvo VNL610 12.7 Detroit 10 Spd Eaton Manual trans. 430 HP, 1500 pounds of torque,
"The Beast" (retired) 2003 Dodge 3500
2014 RW 38GK14, solar panels with MPPT controller, Progressive surge guard, 2 group 31 AGM batteries, Morryde SLR4000, Titan disc brakes,
Tom's38GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:35 PM   #2

Broken spring issue

Thanks for the heads up on how to report this issue. I had 2 broken springs in the last two weeks during our summer trip, I am getting perturbed. We had one break two years ago so that is three springs so far. Looking into suspension upgrade when I get back home in a couple of weeks. I will file a report.
Joerpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:11 PM   #3

I have an early 2017 36RL built in late 2016 that still has the 7000 lb axles and 16" G tires. I hope I don't run into broken springs once I start using it a lot more after the end of the year. Are those that experienced broken springs tend to be Fulltimers with likely heavier cargo loaded?
Old 08-22-2018, 10:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyl53 View Post
I have an early 2017 36RL built in late 2016 that still has the 7000 lb axles and 16" G tires. I hope I don't run into broken springs once I start using it a lot more after the end of the year. Are those that experienced broken springs tend to be Fulltimers with likely heavier cargo loaded?
We've fulltimed in ours since Nov '12 with the 7k axles with approximately 60k+/- mikes with the only upgrade being the MorRyde heavy shackles & wet bolts at about 5k miles & upgraded to disc brakes & Sailun H rated tires Nov '16, no suspension issues.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:46 PM   #5

Broken Springs

Lost one spring last year on the way down to Florida. Replaced both on passengers side. Down in Florida I replaced the other side.
Even though I had replaced the u-bolts the existing ones where short which would indicate to me the thickness of the leaf material was thinner on the original leafs.
Not sure how much fudge factors is incorporated into the suspensions system compared to their actual ratings.
My opinion it's undersized.
Teflon bushings with this kind of weight what a joke.
It's all about the dollar cheap as they can to produce them.
Consumer is at the bottom of the line
gflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:30 AM   #6

When I toured the factory some years back, the storage lot had lots of chassis from LCI all built with complete suspension and wheels/tires (even generators) already installed just waiting to be rolled in. So Redwood got a lot of blame for the cheap bushings, leaf springs, shackles, wheel bearings, etc. but it was LCI that provided the chassis & attachments. Jusy sayin...
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomNGina06 View Post
Below is a link to the NHTSA federal government agency where a safety complaint can be filed for your suspension issues. Anyone that has bent or broken a spring need to file a formal complaint this may result in a manditory safety recall where the company will have to cover the cost of upgrades to your Redwood. The more people that follow through with this the better the chance of corrective action can happen. The form is very easy to fill out you will need your VIN number and type up the history of your issue. This form is for safety related only and highly recommend that everyone fill this out even if you have upgraded your suspension feeling you needed to for the safety of yourself and the general public around you. (MAY help offset the cost you have incurred for your upgrades.)

Don't get me wrong I love my Redwood and plan on living in it to see this great country in the very near future. My deal is Thor the parent company is only concerned about the profit and not the safety of our community. The fact the they have voluntarily raised the standard suspension to 8000 pound axles in 2016 show where they have decided to do the right thing.

www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIsssue

Upper Right corner of the page is the link "Report a problem" to get to the form
Just be careful what you ask for! I had issues with Tredit tire and wheel on wheels they built for a Montana 5th wheel we had (others may remember the same issue). In resolve, they were sending me new wheels, however I also submitted the issue to NHTSA for what I thought was due diligence. Once NHTSA called Tredit tire and wheel to get their side of the story, all resolve with them ended. They no longer took my calls or a friend of mine's calls for the same issue.

I walked away with the good Samaritan feeling I contacted NHTSA (which never went anywhere), and I lost out on 5 new replacement wheels at no cost. I selfishly wish I would have just left it alone and let Tredit take care of me to shut me up
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Just be careful what you ask for! I had issues with Tredit tire and wheel on wheels they built for a Montana 5th wheel we had (others may remember the same issue). In resolve, they were sending me new wheels, however I also submitted the issue to NHTSA for what I thought was due diligence. Once NHTSA called Tredit tire and wheel to get their side of the story, all resolve with them ended. They no longer took my calls or a friend of mine's calls for the same issue.

I walked away with the good Samaritan feeling I contacted NHTSA (which never went anywhere), and I lost out on 5 new replacement wheels at no cost. I selfishly wish I would have just left it alone and let Tredit take care of me to shut me up
Adam,

I guess I am out of warranty and have to pay for it anyway. The amount of people having problems with the under engineered suspension is alarming. I have not over loaded my 38GK and after weighing it was still within specs. The part that is of concern to me is they sign off on the weight before any options are put in. So if they say the pin weight is 3500 it is probably 4000 pounds after you load your clothes, some bath accessories, a barbi, and some chairs? I moved my hitch pin up 2 feet to put more on the front now that I have a heavy duty truck. I put a washer dryer combo unit in and some water in the tank my hitch pin weight came in at 4800 pounds and my axles on the RW came in at 12700. The extra weight I shifted to the pin has helped with the stress on the axles. I do have the double bedroom slide (option) but had I not moved the hitch pin forward where would I be with the axles. Easily pushing the limit for sure. So in essence these full time rigs were designed to sit in a campground not cross the country multiple times. I still feel that this is a safety issue not only for me but for many running down the road today. It is only a matter of time before some gets hurt bad.

HDT 1999 Volvo VNL610 12.7 Detroit 10 Spd Eaton Manual trans. 430 HP, 1500 pounds of torque,
"The Beast" (retired) 2003 Dodge 3500
2014 RW 38GK14, solar panels with MPPT controller, Progressive surge guard, 2 group 31 AGM batteries, Morryde SLR4000, Titan disc brakes,
Tom's38GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomNGina06 View Post
Adam,

I guess I am out of warranty and have to pay for it anyway. The amount of people having problems with the under engineered suspension is alarming. I have not over loaded my 38GK and after weighing it was still within specs. The part that is of concern to me is they sign off on the weight before any options are put in. So if they say the pin weight is 3500 it is probably 4000 pounds after you load your clothes, some bath accessories, a barbi, and some chairs? I moved my hitch pin up 2 feet to put more on the front now that I have a heavy duty truck. I put a washer dryer combo unit in and some water in the tank my hitch pin weight came in at 4800 pounds and my axles on the RW came in at 12700. The extra weight I shifted to the pin has helped with the stress on the axles. I do have the double bedroom slide (option) but had I not moved the hitch pin forward where would I be with the axles. Easily pushing the limit for sure. So in essence these full time rigs were designed to sit in a campground not cross the country multiple times. I still feel that this is a safety issue not only for me but for many running down the road today. It is only a matter of time before some gets hurt bad.
Oh I don't disagree with you - I was just saying my experience with the NHTSA bit me back. I was 4 years out of warranty, but they were still going to replace the wheels and pay the labor to change them out. At that moment I would have preferred the wheels over the righteous feeling
Lesson learned - wait until all is settled, then file!

You might remember the issue. In 2007 Montana went to 7K axles on the larger units in preparation for re-introducing the Big Sky, and for a very short time installed G614 tires on those axles. In order for Montana to be able to install G614 tires they needed new wheels. Tredit said no problem and sent them stickers that said 3,750lbs@110psi to apply over the casting on the wheels Montana had in stock. We got one of the first new 2007 3400RL that had the stickered wheels and 7K axles. When I went to replace tires, Goodyear said no-no-no, that's not the way it works, as it's required to be tested and cast into the wheel. I contacted Tredit and said I can't get new G614 tires, they said no problem and told me to pick out new wheels and they would be on the way. When I got NHTSA involved, Tredit dropped the offer and ironically, the NHTSA called me and said actually Tredit did no wrong, and that wheels are typically rated for whatever the market tire is going to be. He told me there is no physical pressure test performed on a wheel, and that the load rating is primarily based on the composition of material spec and the size of the stud. According to him, Tredit did not have to retest the wheel, because there is no test, but they were in poor form using the sticker. No spanking for Tredit, no wheels for Bradley

Ironically, The new Redwood suspension (other than being 8K) is the same LRE system Keystone marketed on our 2007 Montana, so at least in 11 years, RVs haven't come far in the suspension world!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:57 PM   #10

The suspension have come a little farther than the OEM Electric Brakes. That setup was used back when all cars and trucks were 6V systems with generators.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
We've fulltimed in ours since Nov '12 with the 7k axles with approximately 60k+/- mikes with the only upgrade being the MorRyde heavy shackles & wet bolts at about 5k miles & upgraded to disc brakes & Sailun H rated tires Nov '16, no suspension issues.
Failed to mention my '13 is one the "Tom Montague" Redwoods! To be honest I think they're better built.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:04 PM   #12

Remember those early RWs were built in the RW Plant in Syracuse before the BIG move over to CrossRoads.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Old 09-01-2018, 05:06 PM   #13
par

Our 2014 Redwood was built in Syracuse. I had the 8K axle option installed and have not had any spring breaks but have lost shackle bolts on the door side back wheel. This occurred twice, in 2015 and 2017. The second time it occurred, it busted the brake hose since I have disk brakes. Last year I replaced the equalizers with the heavy duty Dexter EZFlex system. The bars on the factory equalizer had almost worn through from rubbing on the springs. I also replaced all the nylon bushings with brass ones.
Yearly I remove the wheels and check the bearings and so far have replaced 4 of them and I am about the pull the wheels off in the next few weeks for this year's inspection. YES I have had suspension problems but don't think I qualify for this safety complaint.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:53 AM   #14

I decided to go with the MORryde IS. Have an appointment with Morryde for the installation in April.
Joerpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:07 AM   #15

I think that's a smart move. There are any number of BandAids that can be added, but if you follow some of those post, issues still pop up and by the time you add up the cost of all those BandAids and break downs the IS isn't so expensive after all.
For some unknown reason Redwood Management keep dragging their feet on at least added the MORryde IS as an option. We proved it can be done, because the IS was added to our Unit before it went to Paint, just like done to the DRVs.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:57 PM   #16

We are thinking about converting to MorRyde IS system next year. Would you please give me information regarding who you contacted and phone number? Would appreciate the information, would like to set an appointment around the Rally in Shipsawana in 2019.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastakid View Post
We are thinking about converting to MorRyde IS system next year. Would you please give me information regarding who you contacted and phone number? Would appreciate the information, would like to set an appointment around the Rally in Shipsawana in 2019.
Gary Wheeler -
Gary.Wheeler@morryde.com
Mailing Address:
MORryde International
2123 Middlebury St.
Elkhart, Indiana 46516
Phone: (574) 293-1581
Email: sales@morryde.com
Plant 11 & 12
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:47 AM   #18

Thank you for the info, we will give him a call. Anyone know when the Rally is going to be held in 2019? Will try to schedule around that time.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:07 AM   #19

July 14th to 21st, Shipshewana South Campground
Old 09-27-2018, 01:18 AM   #20

We lost two shackle bolts on our 2017 36 RL, the first was on the way to the 2017 Rally in Shipsawana, was able to limp in and had it repaired at the Rally by the factory and work was done by Lipper. This year we were bringing the trailer to Toscano, the Redwood dealer in Los Banos in Central Calif., for some warranty work and found that another bolt broke and the frame was cracked, dealer would not touch the cracked frame, Lipper sent out a tech. from Indiana to Calif. to repair the frame and replace bolts, claimed they were having problems with shackle bolts and have since changed them. We ordered the trailer from the factory with 8K axles, disc brakes and H tires, trailer was weighed at the Rally and was one of the few that was under weight per the weight tech. at the Rally. We are still not sure what we are going to do, install MORryde IS system or hire a lawyer if it happens again. We really love our trailer so it is going to be a hard decision. One more failure should fall under the Lemon Law in Calif.