Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-21-2018, 07:32 PM   #1
Member
 
Tom's38GK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 54
Broken Spring issue on pre 2016 Redwood models

Below is a link to the NHTSA federal government agency where a safety complaint can be filed for your suspension issues. Anyone that has bent or broken a spring need to file a formal complaint this may result in a manditory safety recall where the company will have to cover the cost of upgrades to your Redwood. The more people that follow through with this the better the chance of corrective action can happen. The form is very easy to fill out you will need your VIN number and type up the history of your issue. This form is for safety related only and highly recommend that everyone fill this out even if you have upgraded your suspension feeling you needed to for the safety of yourself and the general public around you. (MAY help offset the cost you have incurred for your upgrades.)

Don't get me wrong I love my Redwood and plan on living in it to see this great country in the very near future. My deal is Thor the parent company is only concerned about the profit and not the safety of our community. The fact the they have voluntarily raised the standard suspension to 8000 pound axles in 2016 show where they have decided to do the right thing.

www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIsssue

Upper Right corner of the page is the link "Report a problem" to get to the form
__________________
Life is great when you can scratch that hitch itch....

HDT 1999 Volvo VNL610 12.7 Detroit 10 Spd Eaton Manual trans. 430 HP, 1500 pounds of torque,
"The Beast" (retired) 2003 Dodge 3500
2014 RW 38GK14, solar panels with MPPT controller, Progressive surge guard, 2 group 31 AGM batteries, Morryde SLR4000, Titan disc brakes,
Tom's38GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 5
Broken spring issue

Thanks for the heads up on how to report this issue. I had 2 broken springs in the last two weeks during our summer trip, I am getting perturbed. We had one break two years ago so that is three springs so far. Looking into suspension upgrade when I get back home in a couple of weeks. I will file a report.
Joerpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:11 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 47
I have an early 2017 36RL built in late 2016 that still has the 7000 lb axles and 16" G tires. I hope I don't run into broken springs once I start using it a lot more after the end of the year. Are those that experienced broken springs tend to be Fulltimers with likely heavier cargo loaded?
__________________
'17 Redwood 36RL and '19 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW for retirement "snow-birding" and travel! Me, wife and 2 small dogs.
Garyl53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:40 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
travelin' texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyl53 View Post
I have an early 2017 36RL built in late 2016 that still has the 7000 lb axles and 16" G tires. I hope I don't run into broken springs once I start using it a lot more after the end of the year. Are those that experienced broken springs tend to be Fulltimers with likely heavier cargo loaded?
We've fulltimed in ours since Nov '12 with the 7k axles with approximately 60k+/- mikes with the only upgrade being the MorRyde heavy shackles & wet bolts at about 5k miles & upgraded to disc brakes & Sailun H rated tires Nov '16, no suspension issues.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:46 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 23
Broken Springs

Lost one spring last year on the way down to Florida. Replaced both on passengers side. Down in Florida I replaced the other side.
Even though I had replaced the u-bolts the existing ones where short which would indicate to me the thickness of the leaf material was thinner on the original leafs.
Not sure how much fudge factors is incorporated into the suspensions system compared to their actual ratings.
My opinion it's undersized.
Teflon bushings with this kind of weight what a joke.
It's all about the dollar cheap as they can to produce them.
Consumer is at the bottom of the line
__________________
Gerard & Dale
2013 36RE,
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4WD SRW
gflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:30 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
5th_Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,120
When I toured the factory some years back, the storage lot had lots of chassis from LCI all built with complete suspension and wheels/tires (even generators) already installed just waiting to be rolled in. So Redwood got a lot of blame for the cheap bushings, leaf springs, shackles, wheel bearings, etc. but it was LCI that provided the chassis & attachments. Jusy sayin...
__________________
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

'18 GMC Denali 3500HD CC, 4x4, DRW, DuraMax, Allison, Curt Q25 w/OEM Prep, Intellihaul Cameras, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:48 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomNGina06 View Post
Below is a link to the NHTSA federal government agency where a safety complaint can be filed for your suspension issues. Anyone that has bent or broken a spring need to file a formal complaint this may result in a manditory safety recall where the company will have to cover the cost of upgrades to your Redwood. The more people that follow through with this the better the chance of corrective action can happen. The form is very easy to fill out you will need your VIN number and type up the history of your issue. This form is for safety related only and highly recommend that everyone fill this out even if you have upgraded your suspension feeling you needed to for the safety of yourself and the general public around you. (MAY help offset the cost you have incurred for your upgrades.)

Don't get me wrong I love my Redwood and plan on living in it to see this great country in the very near future. My deal is Thor the parent company is only concerned about the profit and not the safety of our community. The fact the they have voluntarily raised the standard suspension to 8000 pound axles in 2016 show where they have decided to do the right thing.

www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIsssue

Upper Right corner of the page is the link "Report a problem" to get to the form
Just be careful what you ask for! I had issues with Tredit tire and wheel on wheels they built for a Montana 5th wheel we had (others may remember the same issue). In resolve, they were sending me new wheels, however I also submitted the issue to NHTSA for what I thought was due diligence. Once NHTSA called Tredit tire and wheel to get their side of the story, all resolve with them ended. They no longer took my calls or a friend of mine's calls for the same issue.

I walked away with the good Samaritan feeling I contacted NHTSA (which never went anywhere), and I lost out on 5 new replacement wheels at no cost. I selfishly wish I would have just left it alone and let Tredit take care of me to shut me up
__________________
Brad & Dory - Lone Tree, CO
CURRENT - 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E/2013 Wrangler 4dr Sahara
SOLD - 2014 Redwood 36RL/2014 F350 DRW
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:30 PM   #8
Member
 
Tom's38GK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Just be careful what you ask for! I had issues with Tredit tire and wheel on wheels they built for a Montana 5th wheel we had (others may remember the same issue). In resolve, they were sending me new wheels, however I also submitted the issue to NHTSA for what I thought was due diligence. Once NHTSA called Tredit tire and wheel to get their side of the story, all resolve with them ended. They no longer took my calls or a friend of mine's calls for the same issue.

I walked away with the good Samaritan feeling I contacted NHTSA (which never went anywhere), and I lost out on 5 new replacement wheels at no cost. I selfishly wish I would have just left it alone and let Tredit take care of me to shut me up
Adam,

I guess I am out of warranty and have to pay for it anyway. The amount of people having problems with the under engineered suspension is alarming. I have not over loaded my 38GK and after weighing it was still within specs. The part that is of concern to me is they sign off on the weight before any options are put in. So if they say the pin weight is 3500 it is probably 4000 pounds after you load your clothes, some bath accessories, a barbi, and some chairs? I moved my hitch pin up 2 feet to put more on the front now that I have a heavy duty truck. I put a washer dryer combo unit in and some water in the tank my hitch pin weight came in at 4800 pounds and my axles on the RW came in at 12700. The extra weight I shifted to the pin has helped with the stress on the axles. I do have the double bedroom slide (option) but had I not moved the hitch pin forward where would I be with the axles. Easily pushing the limit for sure. So in essence these full time rigs were designed to sit in a campground not cross the country multiple times. I still feel that this is a safety issue not only for me but for many running down the road today. It is only a matter of time before some gets hurt bad.
__________________
Life is great when you can scratch that hitch itch....

HDT 1999 Volvo VNL610 12.7 Detroit 10 Spd Eaton Manual trans. 430 HP, 1500 pounds of torque,
"The Beast" (retired) 2003 Dodge 3500
2014 RW 38GK14, solar panels with MPPT controller, Progressive surge guard, 2 group 31 AGM batteries, Morryde SLR4000, Titan disc brakes,
Tom's38GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:11 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomNGina06 View Post
Adam,

I guess I am out of warranty and have to pay for it anyway. The amount of people having problems with the under engineered suspension is alarming. I have not over loaded my 38GK and after weighing it was still within specs. The part that is of concern to me is they sign off on the weight before any options are put in. So if they say the pin weight is 3500 it is probably 4000 pounds after you load your clothes, some bath accessories, a barbi, and some chairs? I moved my hitch pin up 2 feet to put more on the front now that I have a heavy duty truck. I put a washer dryer combo unit in and some water in the tank my hitch pin weight came in at 4800 pounds and my axles on the RW came in at 12700. The extra weight I shifted to the pin has helped with the stress on the axles. I do have the double bedroom slide (option) but had I not moved the hitch pin forward where would I be with the axles. Easily pushing the limit for sure. So in essence these full time rigs were designed to sit in a campground not cross the country multiple times. I still feel that this is a safety issue not only for me but for many running down the road today. It is only a matter of time before some gets hurt bad.
Oh I don't disagree with you - I was just saying my experience with the NHTSA bit me back. I was 4 years out of warranty, but they were still going to replace the wheels and pay the labor to change them out. At that moment I would have preferred the wheels over the righteous feeling
Lesson learned - wait until all is settled, then file!

You might remember the issue. In 2007 Montana went to 7K axles on the larger units in preparation for re-introducing the Big Sky, and for a very short time installed G614 tires on those axles. In order for Montana to be able to install G614 tires they needed new wheels. Tredit said no problem and sent them stickers that said 3,750lbs@110psi to apply over the casting on the wheels Montana had in stock. We got one of the first new 2007 3400RL that had the stickered wheels and 7K axles. When I went to replace tires, Goodyear said no-no-no, that's not the way it works, as it's required to be tested and cast into the wheel. I contacted Tredit and said I can't get new G614 tires, they said no problem and told me to pick out new wheels and they would be on the way. When I got NHTSA involved, Tredit dropped the offer and ironically, the NHTSA called me and said actually Tredit did no wrong, and that wheels are typically rated for whatever the market tire is going to be. He told me there is no physical pressure test performed on a wheel, and that the load rating is primarily based on the composition of material spec and the size of the stud. According to him, Tredit did not have to retest the wheel, because there is no test, but they were in poor form using the sticker. No spanking for Tredit, no wheels for Bradley

Ironically, The new Redwood suspension (other than being 8K) is the same LRE system Keystone marketed on our 2007 Montana, so at least in 11 years, RVs haven't come far in the suspension world!
__________________
Brad & Dory - Lone Tree, CO
CURRENT - 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E/2013 Wrangler 4dr Sahara
SOLD - 2014 Redwood 36RL/2014 F350 DRW
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:57 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
mhs4771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,324
The suspension have come a little farther than the OEM Electric Brakes. That setup was used back when all cars and trucks were 6V systems with generators.
__________________
Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Redwood RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.