Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #1

Broken door hinge and Warranty

Seemed like a simple enough task - replace the gas struts on the large outside cabinet door because it won't stay open. They put 1 strut on the left, a very powerful strut, and this is what I get:

Did I mention I HATE warranty. I was in better shape BEFORE I went in -

Why wouldn't you just put the factory struts on? Between the non-painted fender and struts, I don't think any of this came from Redwood.

I'm heading out Friday! I pulled a strut off the generator cabinet and a hinge off the curb propane door to get by. I rigged the broken hinge to work on the propane door.

And for this I waited 2 months to get a spot in que to wait a couple of weeks for the work to get done. Needless to say - I will do the work myself from now on - parts only warranty for me - just to keep my sanity

Who is in charge at Redwood these days? None of the original folks I was able to contact are still there.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #2

YIKES! That stinks. I had the same issue with my front door hinge. Fortunately I was there and asked that they use a strut rated for less force...I believe it was ten pounds. I also had them install a backer plate so they could use through bolts. Screws in certain situations are for the birds.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #3

Was it your pictures I posted earlier (last year)? I couldn't remember.

What part did they use through bolts on?
Old 06-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Was it your pictures I posted earlier (last year)? I couldn't remember.

What part did they use through bolts on?
The upper horizontal section of the frame.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #5

Ah, OK. Thanks
Old 06-11-2014, 10:08 PM   #6
Site Team

Brad, those were my pictures from last year. Your door did the same thing mine did. I reinforced the new door by putting pop rivets through the upper door frame and into the door. Also put them through the hinge plates.

You might be able to save the door if you can get a replacement hinge part and then reinforce the door frame. When mine went, it was cold and it twisted the frame.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:18 PM   #7

Holy smokes Brad, that is really crappy!
I know folks have had issues with the struts on the Montana's too, pulling out of the doors. I kind of miss not having the basement door open all the way and was thinking about pulling the struts off and adding the old fashion chrome keeper.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:20 PM   #8

Struts are available with various tension specs.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
Holy smokes Brad, that is really crappy!
I know folks have had issues with the struts on the Montana's too, pulling out of the doors. I kind of miss not having the basement door open all the way and was thinking about pulling the struts off and adding the old fashion chrome keeper.

Ken
Exactly what I think I will do - kind of annoying have the door stick out in the patio area anyway. I'll find a black clip like the daddy door, as long as it doesn't hit the bedroom window.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Brad, those were my pictures from last year. Your door did the same thing mine did. I reinforced the new door by putting pop rivets through the upper door frame and into the door. Also put them through the hinge plates.

You might be able to save the door if you can get a replacement hinge part and then reinforce the door frame. When mine went, it was cold and it twisted the frame.
Vaughan, the door is good, I caught it in my hand Its working good with the propane door hinge and the strut off the front cabinet (like it was originally), but already the door drifted down and slammed shut in a bit of a breeze. Where did you find the hinges???
Old 06-11-2014, 10:44 PM   #11

Good idea about the black clip! Big day today.....front door comes off and the stain glass gets installed. The frames came in yesterday. I'll post photos when done.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
Struts are available with various tension specs.
that part I haven't been able to figure out - seems like there is no balance between what will hold the door and what will break the hinge. Part of the issue may be my 1/8 inch plexiglass on the inside of the door, but I don't want to give that up, and I don't want the door slamming on my outside TV either
Old 06-11-2014, 10:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
Good idea about the black clip! Big day today.....front door comes off and the stain glass gets installed. The frames came in yesterday. I'll post photos when done.
Do Please! would love to see how it turns out. My main door is jamming again - jee zoots
Old 06-11-2014, 11:54 PM   #14

That just sucks. Sorry for all the troubles Brad. Our basement door has the single hinge all across the top. Napa has a bunch of lift arms of various weight and length. Good luck, and yea, don't like the looks of that fender !!

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:27 AM   #15

Ty sent an email said he sent pics to Redwood to get authorization to paint it. A major disconnect somewhere, as they already authorized to replace it.

Is your hinge different than mine?
Old 06-12-2014, 04:07 AM   #16
Site Team

Brad....sorry to hear about your door. I'm with you, I'll fix things myself now that my warranty is over anyway. I can usually fix things better and a whole lot quicker.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Ty sent an email said he sent pics to Redwood to get authorization to paint it. A major disconnect somewhere, as they already authorized to replace it.

Is your hinge different than mine?
Yes, it is continuous across the top of the door. Don't know how to describe it and can't take a photo. Not a true hinge with a hinge pin but more like a hook in a sleeve. ??

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Vaughan, the door is good, I caught it in my hand Its working good with the propane door hinge and the strut off the front cabinet (like it was originally), but already the door drifted down and slammed shut in a bit of a breeze. Where did you find the hinges???
Wow! My hinge on the front battery/generator compartment broke right before the rig was taken to the service center. They were able to replace the hinge and struts with what they said was a heavier hinge but it looks the same to me. I think the doors are made by Lippert so I assume they had to get the hinge from them. At first the service manager said he was going to replace the entire door but there was a problem gettint the exact door so he went with just the hinge since the door was fine. I've checked the other hinges to see if they are cracked. I don't think the screws holding them in is the best connection.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:11 AM   #19

Interesting - Coloradolivin got me wondering, so I stopped at Tarpley RV in Durango a few days ago because it was too windy at the lake. I checked out two new Redwoods -

They DID change the hinge on the top hinge type doors with struts. It is a full hinge all the way across the door, instead of the 3 small hinges like I have that broke. Also interesting, all the full hinge doors have the heavy Master Lift struts, and all the 3 hinge doors have the Suspa weak hinges like mine. The Dealer was in error to install the heavy Master Lift strut on my old style hinge.

If you get struts replaced, be sure they give you the correct ones!

Redwood authorized replacing and painting the door, but I definitely do not want new caulking marks in my beautiful paint. My door is fine, I just want the new hinge so I can use the heavier strut. I would think they would rather just paint the hinge champagne than paint the whole door.