Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Site Team

While I was under my trailer checking out the tires I realized that several of the "L" brackets that hold the lower sides of my trailer had come loose. While watching in my mirrors I had noticed a lot of movement from the wind which had gotten my attention. Some of these brackets had 2 screw holes with only one screw being used. I purchased more self taping screws and reattached them better and I also got some stainless Steel bolts with nylon bushings and replaced the screws holding on the fender skirts. Now most of the movement from the wind is gone.

Somehow thinking that the aluminum screws weren't going to back themselves out with the vibration of the road is a mistake on Redwood's part. Now each time I find a loose screw I'm replacing it with small stainless steel stove bolts with nylon sleeved nuts.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #2

After my very first time last June I thought our 38 BR was a Canada Goose doing a take-off run!
All the factory bracket screws were broken! I re-drilled 2 holes in each bracket and installed 3/16" self tapping bolts with the serrated head so they "bite" the bracket when tensioned. No more flapping wings...

Old 11-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #3

Yep, this summer we were about to leave on a trip and found on of those brackets hanging down where it would have rubbed on the tire. Reattached all and added extra hardware and no problem since.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:38 AM   #4

Dave. Have you had to re-tape or repair the underbelly plastic cover> If so, what tape are you using to seal the plastic underbelly cover? I have had to open mine up for a hydraulic leak and can not find the correct adhesive tape to reseal the underbelly. Any help would be appreciated.
Chana Bill
Old 05-15-2014, 02:00 AM   #5
Site Team

Bill,

I've only unscrewed a few places to reach inside. What does the tape look like?
Old 05-15-2014, 03:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chana Bill View Post
Dave. Have you had to re-tape or repair the underbelly plastic cover> If so, what tape are you using to seal the plastic underbelly cover? I have had to open mine up for a hydraulic leak and can not find the correct adhesive tape to reseal the underbelly. Any help would be appreciated.
Chana Bill
The only tape I noticed under my 31 sl is at the rear where the rear cap is and it looks like there is a large electrical wire that lays up inside that cap and then the bottom is taped to the underbelly. Mine was loose in one spot (about 2 feet long). I went to Lowes and bought a roll of Gorilla Tape and re-taped it myself I don't think it will come loose now..
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:43 AM   #7

The tape used to repair the plastic underbelly was only available thru a RV dealer it looks like screen mesh and about 2 inches wide the adhesive is fantastic and that is its secret
Even gorilla duct tape compares
Bill
b41wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
Site Team

I'm sure if the manufactures have it .....it can be found on the web somewhere.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:59 PM   #9

another way to make a permanent repair is to take a piece of wood as long as the cut or maybe an inch longer and about 1.5in wide and place it above the plastic. then drill first then screw thru the plastic into the strip of wood. This way it is removable if you should ever have to gain access to the area. In my experience tape will only hold for so long. Good luck
Bill
b41wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:00 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
http://www.promobilehomeparts.com/se...V-Parts/Detail

Here is a place to purchase belly pan repair tape.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by b41wright View Post
The tape used to repair the plastic underbelly was only available thru a RV dealer it looks like screen mesh and about 2 inches wide the adhesive is fantastic and that is its secret
Even gorilla duct tape compares
Bill
Ya I need some of that stuff too - Mine is like Rick and Mindys. Looks like a gypsy wagon rolling down the road with all that stuff flapping on the back clip. Nothing I have used to date sticks.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote