Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2016, 08:39 PM   #1

Question Black tank flush line leak

I have been having a problem with the black tank flush line when the water pressure is on the high side. About 2 minutes into the flush I see a small stream of water from the ceiling in the utility bay. I can't see where the line goes other than over the ceiling of the cargo bay toward the front of the trailer. I assume it goes to a vacuum breaker mounted higher up and then back to the black tank. Since I don't have a problem under lower pressure, I expect that the leak is a poor connection in a line fitting.

Does any one know how RW routes this line and where they generally put the vacuum breaker?
I don't want to take down the cargo ceiling only to find I still can't see the breaker.
I have looked around the rig, in the bathroom vanity (That's where it was in my Holiday Rambler) etc. The layout of my rig would seem to put it in the wall cavity between the bedroom and bath, that is directly above the utility area but there are no access panels.
Any info would be a help.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:04 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Mine goes from the water connection up into the sink cabinet in the bathroom and back out. You can open up the wall in the basement and trace where it goes or use a flashlight through the door for the water filter and do the same. I personally would take the wall down and check all water connections. Also get a water regulator to install on the hose bible for city water if do not already have one.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie16 View Post
I have been having a problem with the black tank flush line when the water pressure is on the high side. About 2 minutes into the flush I see a small stream of water from the ceiling in the utility bay. I can't see where the line goes other than over the ceiling of the cargo bay toward the front of the trailer. I assume it goes to a vacuum breaker mounted higher up and then back to the black tank. Since I don't have a problem under lower pressure, I expect that the leak is a poor connection in a line fitting.

Does any one know how RW routes this line and where they generally put the vacuum breaker?
I don't want to take down the cargo ceiling only to find I still can't see the breaker.
I have looked around the rig, in the bathroom vanity (That's where it was in my Holiday Rambler) etc. The layout of my rig would seem to put it in the wall cavity between the bedroom and bath, that is directly above the utility area but there are no access panels.
Any info would be a help.
It seems like I'm having the same issue on my Cypress 38BHS, any news on a repair?
Peter&Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:12 PM   #4

The vacuum breaker should be accessible, but I've heard of some that aren't. Ours was under the bathroom sink as well on our 36RL. If you want to know what you are looking for on Redwood, they look like this on the end of the blue pex lines:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04157.jpg (181.7 KB, 21 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
The vacuum breaker should be accessible, but I've heard of some that aren't. Ours was under the bathroom sink as well on our 36RL. If you want to know what you are looking for on Redwood, they look like this on the end of the blue pex lines:
Thanks for the reply. The flush line in our unit is running up through the floor behind the shower. The vacuum breaker isn't under the sink in my RW and I don't see an access panel.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter&Shannon View Post
Thanks for the reply. The flush line in our unit is running up through the floor behind the shower. The vacuum breaker isn't under the sink in my RW and I don't see an access panel.
Check around - you should have access behind your shower was well. Mine was in the entry closet on my Redwood. When I removed the coat hooks board I found the access to replace my faucets in my shower.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140809_171938.jpg (175.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-01-2017, 08:55 PM   #7

Okay, don't know about your floor plans, but on our RW 39MB I'm pretty sure it's in the wall between the shower and our washer & dryer cabinet, and there is an access panel just below the washer hook-ups, would just require us to pull the washer to gain access.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:56 PM   #8

Thanks again. With a little more digging I found the access to the shower valve and the vacuum breaker was in the same spot. Unfortunately I was unable to duplicate the leak but it may have just been a loose fitting. At least I know now where to look in the future!
Old 08-15-2017, 03:50 PM   #9

I finally got around to fixing my vacuum breaker leak. Wasn't a high priority since it was an intermittent leak only when connected to high water pressure.

I couldn't locate the breaker in all the normal locations so I had to trace it from rinse inlet. I took down the service wall and found that the water lines looped back over the utility ceiling and disappeared. I had to take down the first ceiling panel to track the water lines to an access hole that went up into the space behind the shower. Using a flash light and mirror I was able to see the valve but the hole was too small to get my hand in. I went back into the bedroom and opened the access plate to the shower control but since that is a double wall cavity (sliding door space) there was no way to reach the valve from the top. I did notice that the valve was not mounted to anything, so I pulled the water lines from below until the valve was visible. I was afraid of pulling to far as it would kink the Pex tubing so I cut the line instead. This allowed me pull the valve straight out. I found the source of the leak was a loose supply line fitting, apparently never tightened at installation. I pushed the valve back and installed two Pex unions. and then replaced all the stuff that I had to remove.

This whole problem could have avoided by properly tightening the fitting and putting an extra foot of line on in the initial installation to insure the valve was high enough to reach from the shower access hole. Just poor planning.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:24 PM   #10

Good job, you got it! Agree it could have all been avoided. It's too bad there isn't a hydrostatic test performed at various place holders in assembly to ensure this stuff doesn't leak. It would avoid a lot of problems later, but I have to say the Redwood was assembled far better than our old Keystone products. You had to spend a week tightening hoses and electrical wiring lugs on Keystone just to use it the first time.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie16 View Post
I finally got around to fixing my vacuum breaker leak. Wasn't a high priority since it was an intermittent leak only when connected to high water pressure.

I couldn't locate the breaker in all the normal locations so I had to trace it from rinse inlet. I took down the service wall and found that the water lines looped back over the utility ceiling and disappeared. I had to take down the first ceiling panel to track the water lines to an access hole that went up into the space behind the shower. Using a flash light and mirror I was able to see the valve but the hole was too small to get my hand in. I went back into the bedroom and opened the access plate to the shower control but since that is a double wall cavity (sliding door space) there was no way to reach the valve from the top. I did notice that the valve was not mounted to anything, so I pulled the water lines from below until the valve was visible. I was afraid of pulling to far as it would kink the Pex tubing so I cut the line instead. This allowed me pull the valve straight out. I found the source of the leak was a loose supply line fitting, apparently never tightened at installation. I pushed the valve back and installed two Pex unions. and then replaced all the stuff that I had to remove.

This whole problem could have avoided by properly tightening the fitting and putting an extra foot of line on in the initial installation to insure the valve was high enough to reach from the shower access hole. Just poor planning.
Thanks for the information since I have the same unit.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:45 AM   #12

Why don't they put the vacuum breaker out close to the hose attachment?
Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #13

The atmospheric vacuum breaker for the black tank flush needs to be higher than the highest flood level in the coach. Typically placed near shower plumbing access so it's easier to get to or under the lav because it is higher than the level the water would get in the toilet. It is a code requirement.

Chris
2012 36RL
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:22 PM   #14

When pressure is released on the vacuum breaker, it opens to let air in and the water drains down the contaminated side into the tank to create an air break for safety to prevent contamination from migrating into the fresh supply side. That's why it has to be higher, and I think it is 2-3 ft.