Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2014, 08:17 PM   #1

Bedroom Slide Issue

We took delivery of our 2014 36RE in November 2013. After going thru and reading all our new owner manuals we found where Redwood recommends that the slides be brought in and back out once a month to assure that the gear components remain properly lubed and in working order. As we are snow-birds and spending 6 months in Florida in one spot thought OK, we have better do this. So in come the slides and out go the slides, however, the bedroom slide would not go back out all the way. It got stuck half way out.....great we didn't do it fast enough (it had probably been 2 months since the delivery)! Several attempts were made before we finally got it to go, but only with a little persuasion of one of us holding the button and the other giving a gentle push to make it go out. Of course it was raining cats and dogs at the time too! Dealer did a service call on it and of course could not replicate the problem. Continued our due diligence of moving the slide every month as recommended until the day we finally decided it was time to head home for the summer. Brought all the slides in with no problem until we walked outside and noticed the bedroom slide had not fully closed. Fortunately we where taking the rig to the dealer for some other warranty items and could drive the short distance from where we were staying. The dealer attempted (several times) to do a manual realignment on the slide mechanics. They were unable to get the slide to come in fully and then decided that the bedroom door was preventing the slide from coming in fully. So their idea is to cut the wall back where the door is mounted. Hmmmmm how is the door going to close if the cut the wall back? And if you try to close and latch the door now, it misses the strike plate completely and won't latch. We never had a problem with it latching before they took the door off the frame. And we would not let them cut anything until they did further research on this issue. We are of the opinion that when the slide got stuck it either slipped or stripped a gear tooth (if there are any) or something of this manner thus the slide is misaligned on it's mechanics and now it will not close properly.

The dealer will not be working on this again until we return to Florida in October. But would really like to know if anyone has had an issue like this or an idea of what it might be. Dealer said it was ok to haul, as we drove 1500+ miles back home with it, but feeling very uneasy about it. Have a couple of trips planned for the summer, not really sure we want to chance it. Of course still have to get back to dealer in Florida!
1000islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000islander View Post
We took delivery of our 2014 36RE in November 2013. After going thru and reading all our new owner manuals we found where Redwood recommends that the slides be brought in and back out once a month to assure that the gear components remain properly lubed and in working order. As we are snow-birds and spending 6 months in Florida in one spot thought OK, we have better do this. So in come the slides and out go the slides, however, the bedroom slide would not go back out all the way. It got stuck half way out.....great we didn't do it fast enough (it had probably been 2 months since the delivery)! Several attempts were made before we finally got it to go, but only with a little persuasion of one of us holding the button and the other giving a gentle push to make it go out. Of course it was raining cats and dogs at the time too! Dealer did a service call on it and of course could not replicate the problem. Continued our due diligence of moving the slide every month as recommended until the day we finally decided it was time to head home for the summer. Brought all the slides in with no problem until we walked outside and noticed the bedroom slide had not fully closed. Fortunately we where taking the rig to the dealer for some other warranty items and could drive the short distance from where we were staying. The dealer attempted (several times) to do a manual realignment on the slide mechanics. They were unable to get the slide to come in fully and then decided that the bedroom door was preventing the slide from coming in fully. So their idea is to cut the wall back where the door is mounted. Hmmmmm how is the door going to close if the cut the wall back? And if you try to close and latch the door now, it misses the strike plate completely and won't latch. We never had a problem with it latching before they took the door off the frame. And we would not let them cut anything until they did further research on this issue. We are of the opinion that when the slide got stuck it either slipped or stripped a gear tooth (if there are any) or something of this manner thus the slide is misaligned on it's mechanics and now it will not close properly.

The dealer will not be working on this again until we return to Florida in October. But would really like to know if anyone has had an issue like this or an idea of what it might be. Dealer said it was ok to haul, as we drove 1500+ miles back home with it, but feeling very uneasy about it. Have a couple of trips planned for the summer, not really sure we want to chance it. Of course still have to get back to dealer in Florida!
I had a similar problem with the bedroom slide on our 2012 36RL the second year of ownership. I could not get the BR slide to go all the way in. As a matter of fact, each time I tried to bring it in, it was stopping further out......about 4 inches.

I called the Redwood customer service department and talked with the manager. It was recommended that I spray the Schwintek rails with CRC Power Lube with Teflon. I did not have that product, but, I did have a spray can of DuPont Teflon lubricant. So, I tried that and the very first time I tried to bring in the slide, it came all the way in. Since then, I spray the rails about every 6 months and have not had a repeat of the issue.

I would recommend you give it a try. Be sure to spray the entire length of the top and bottom rails.

Hope this helps.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:39 PM   #3

OK, worth a try. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #4

We were also told we should bring the slide in and count 3 seconds to "reset the alignment according to the people at the Redwood Factory when we were there on tour.
JohnEileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:41 PM   #5

This solution works, whatever you do DO NOT LET THE DEALER BUTCHER YOUR COACH!!!
We use the CRC Power Lube with Teflon, like hoosierguy it worked on our rig the very first time!!!
Old 06-16-2014, 10:36 PM   #6

Was told also to periodically extend 2-3 inches & retract 3-4 times, as this aligns all the motors so everything comes in/out square.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Was told also to periodically extend 2-3 inches & retract 3-4 times, as this aligns all the motors so everything comes in/out square.
When I picked up our 31SL from the Service Center 2 weeks ago, the service manager made a note to tell me about this procedure. It must be an issue that they have had to deal will periodically. You should also count to 3 everytime the slide is fully in and after it stops to reset the motors. And lubricating the slide gears is also necessary.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:32 AM   #8
Site Team

#1 There's a video made by Lippert on how to lube the motor from outside the coach. The fact that the slides aren't moved much, could end up being a problem.

#2 if you go to the home supply store (like Menards or Lows), in the lock department, you'll find larger striker plate used for doors that have been kicked in. These plates also have larger holes for the lock to go through. I installed one of these and this eliminated the problem of the door not always staying shut. I found that depending on how the trailer leveled, the door would raise about 1/8 inch missing the factory striker plate hole.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:59 AM   #9

Same Problem

I have had the same problem!!!! I keep getting frustrated !!! I put a washer and dryer in and after that my slide would NOT go back in without a little help just like you. I ended up taking out the washer and dryer and after trying 5 times, finally got it to go back in all the way. I think it must be the washer and dryer however, now I believe the motors are WAY to weak!!!!! RW does not recommend a specific brand of washer and dryer, because I have searched everywhere. I purchased a whirlpool washer and dryer and they fit perfectly but the slide won't go in. I have a 2014 36 RL plus I was told I have a stress crack under the left side of my bedroom slide. Imagine that!! Oh..and I had another water leak this week while on vacation.

Dave
Dave6532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #10

Working better now

I'm sorry to hear that you have had the same issue. Upon the advice of another member we have sprayed the rails on the slide and slowly but surely the slide is coming in. We also have a w/d, but they were factory installed so everything is to their specs. Thankfully we have not had any issues with water leaks from the washer. We had a water leak from a faulty water pump which the dealer took care of immediately. Our dealer has been great, however; some of the general maintenance things on these rigs were not addressed. We are not newbies to this lifestyle and certainly asked many questions on some of the new technologies that these rigs have, but the lubrication of the slide was never explained anywhere including our owners manuals. Hopefully when we take it in for it's annual inspection in October there will not be any stress fractures either! So far we are very happy with this rig. Our last was a total nightmare, not a RW, and had to unload it after 2 years of ownership.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #11

1000islander...do you folks like to vacation there or is that your home base? When I was a kid we made a couple of trips up to Gananoque. Good times.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #12

We are very lucky to call Alexandria Bay our home. We are true River Rats and by the time March and April roll around we are anxious to come home and put the boat in and enjoy river time! You should come back and enjoy it. Bolts Castle and Singer Castle have been beautifully renovated and are just gorgeous!
Old 07-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000islander View Post
We are very lucky to call Alexandria Bay our home. We are true River Rats and by the time March and April roll around we are anxious to come home and put the boat in and enjoy river time! You should come back and enjoy it. Bolts Castle and Singer Castle have been beautifully renovated and are just gorgeous!
A long time ago we fished the BASS tourneys out of Alexandria bay and Clayton always beautiful always a good time. Still a hike even from Long Island I'll get back up that way soon. We will be in lake George next week for 10 days.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #14

Too many places, not enough time.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #15

We have the 36 RL and the whirlpool washer and Dryer and have had no issues with the slide. I am not sure why you are having issues but I do not think the washer and dryer are the cause since we have the same unit and washer and dryer. Our were dealer installed.
JohnEileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #16

I wonder how much of the bedroom slide problems could be caused by this. It rained here for the last four days and walking by the bedroom slide I noticed all this debris from the tree needles stuck in the tracks when we close up to leave I'll make sure I clean a all this debris out before it gets in the gears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (120.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-15-2014, 10:35 PM   #17

My slide did this and we changed the slide controller. You can re-synch the motors by reseting the slide controller located in the left side of your bay on the 36RL. The instructions are printed on the controller.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:49 AM   #18

I'm experiencing a problem with the bedroom slide on our 36RL. The post below suggests "resetting" the controller which will resync the motors. I've looked for a button to reset but don't see one. Can anyone give me instructions to reset?
Old 07-16-2014, 05:19 AM   #19

I had to break the seal on the front of the controller to to reset and place it into diagnostic mode. Here is a link to some information: http://dutchmen.com/image/data/docum...InWallWebD.pdf

Lippert also has information.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
I'm experiencing a problem with the bedroom slide on our 36RL. The post below suggests "resetting" the controller which will resync the motors. I've looked for a button to reset but don't see one. Can anyone give me instructions to reset?
The button is very small and has to be pushed in with a key or small knife. Most of my slide problems have been resolved by spraying the silicone spray on the tracks and resynchronizing the motors by running them either in or out and holding the button for a few seconds after the slide stops moving.

The sevice center taughts me to run the slides in all the way.... then out just a few inches....then back in. After doing this a few times, the system was as good as new.