Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2018, 06:24 PM   #1

Another Slide Issue

Group,

I have been having an issue that the curb side main slide does not want to come in. After the street side comes in, the other just stalls. In the past if I wait for a few minutes, it would come in making me think it is the breaker issue. I have yet to find the breaker on my unit.

However, I looked under my slide and found the adjuster nuts on the hydraulic ram in an odd position. The angle bracket is not clamped stationary and the nuts are far apart letting this bracket float on the ram. I think I will run the nut back to the bracket and the outside and inside nut should create a jam nut situation on each side of the angle bracket. I also believe that the third nut should limit the travel on closing correct?

I have searched the forums and have received some good information about the slide but have another question. I believe part of my problem could be that the slide is actually over extending. That is because I have a wear mark on the inside wall paper where the filler molding is rubbing (the molding is a little cocked from installation however). If the slide can be over extended, would that not cause a bind coming back in that could cause the breaker to engage? Is an over extension possible just from the nut on the ram or does the square tube limit the travel? This slide has normally raised up as it comes in from the bottom. I think that is normal.

Can I limit the travel out by just adjusting the Ram nuts?

I have also heard both sides of the issue of lubing the tubes. I thought I had read not to lube them. Where do we stand on using something like Lithium Lube on them?
Old 09-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #2

The Lippert Hydraulic slide out mechanism is adjustable. Here is the link to the LIP sheet #131 from Lippert on that subject:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...5FeytIUrrI95wz

I would not use lithium on the slide out bar itself. Just a good quality silicone spray like you would for the leveling jack legs. You don't want to attract dirt and such to that they don't get scored and wear and leak.

Chris & Maria
2012 36RL
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:17 PM   #3

Chris,

Thanks for the link! I was most concerned about the "Free Travel" and now know it is normal. I will probably adjust the slide in about 1/4 inch when extended and then try to find the breaker and change it out.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:21 PM   #4

I agree, icksnay on the lithium grease! NO WD40 unless its the silicone one, the original is a dirt/dust magnet.
IMHO the silicone spray is the only lubricant needed for your RW.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:24 PM   #5

One more thought, I think from reading previous posts, that it is normal for the bottom of the slide to come in first and the top follows at a little angle behind correct?
Old 09-18-2018, 10:23 PM   #6

If the slide out room is a flush floor, through the frame hydraulic ram mechanism, then yes the bottom comes up the ramp slightly before the top will start to come inward when retracting. That is normal.

Chris & Maria
2012 36RL
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:50 AM   #7

Another Slide Issue

We have had similar problems with our 38RL from the time we bought it almost two years ago. The kitchen slide comes in about 2 inches and then stops. The dining room side doesn't move at all. One tech told us to make sure that the fluid resevoir is full. So after topping off the fluid it worked pretty good long enough for us to take a 3 week trip to Yellowstone. But it is now acting up again and it is at a service center being worked on right now. They are probably going to replace the cylinder. Hopefully that takes care of it. I contacted Lippert and they sent me a link with instructions on how to test the cylinder. https://www.lci1.com/images/support/lipsheet/0076.pdf Maybe this could help you.
Greg C. is offline   Reply With Quote