Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2018, 02:47 PM   #1

Air Conditioning Ducted Vents

I have an issue with my Bedroom A/C vents in my 38RL.

Has anyone else had an issue with all 4 vents putting out Air. I have 3 vents that work well, but one is not putting out anything.

Now, the same thing occurred in the Rear A/C too. The Idiots at the REDWOOD Factory had failed to close off the ends of the Ducts and all the A/C was venting into the ceiling! Made for a Cool Ceiling, but not a cool RV.

The Factory service center fixed this problem with the REAR A/C, but did not fix the Bedroom A/C. It is a problem that the FACTORY Service Center says they see allot!

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
camper94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:37 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I would take the vent cover off and check the collar that goes up into the duct work to see if it is to long and protruding up into the duct blocking air flow. Also put your camera up there an take pics each direction to see if something else is blocking it no
Old 07-24-2018, 08:01 PM   #3

First thing I'll do is take a Tape Measure and see how far back I can go. Should hit the END of the Duct, if it is Closed. If I go more than 6 or 7 feet, then I know the Duct is not closed and it is venting into the ceiling.

I'll have to figure out some way to block it or redirect it back forward to the vent.

And NO the Vent itself is Not too big. It fits in the ceiling fine, without obstruction.

Since the RV is NO LONGER under warranty, Redwood has washed their hands of wanting to provide any assistance. Typical THOR Product!
Old 07-28-2018, 06:11 AM   #4

I had the same problem so I pulled every vent down and cut off the excess vent tube that stuck up into the supply duct. The result was 5-10 degrees cooler and probably the reason the original owner traded it in. Which also explained why it still smelled new inside.

HDT 1999 Volvo VNL610 12.7 Detroit 10 Spd Eaton Manual trans. 430 HP, 1500 pounds of torque,
"The Beast" (retired) 2003 Dodge 3500
2014 RW 38GK14, solar panels with MPPT controller, Progressive surge guard, 2 group 31 AGM batteries, Morryde SLR4000, Titan disc brakes,
Tom's38GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:07 PM   #5

Thanks Tom:

I currently have the duct tube off in the bedroom. The one vent where virtually NO air is coming out. Yet, when you feel up inside the vent, COLD Air is roaring past the opening, but not venting downward. The A/C in the bedroom will freeze your butt off and it actually helps to supplement the Living Room area, but the living room A/C runs constantly. Thus, we are forced to put a FAN in the Hallway to help pull some of the Cold Air from the Bedroom out into the living area.

There really is NO way I can see to cut down the duct tubes. And just to clarify with you, are you talking about the plastic louver thingy that sticks up in the hole? Or something else?

I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 07-28-2018, 02:47 PM   #6

After I cut all mine down by hand (ugh), I found a company in Elkhart online that manufactures the ceiling vents with different depth collars - but can’t get my hands on the url right now. I remember they were cheap though. I think you need 1 1/4” depth.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:56 PM   #7

I wonder if I can google it? Probably. I'll give it a try.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 07-28-2018, 05:26 PM   #8

Pictures of RV A/C Louver

Attached are pictures for the Vent.

There is nothing protruding up into the Duct Work that would prevent A/C from working thru this vent. 3 other vents in the room blast out good cold air, but nothing out of this one.

There is nothing to Trim off this vent without destroying it.

The Hole the vent cover goes into is 4 5/8".

Anyone have any ideas, all are welcome.

Thanks,

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180728_105133.jpg (145.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20180728_105143.jpg (134.0 KB, 39 views)
Old 07-28-2018, 06:26 PM   #9

Looks like they installed the short ducts in yours. This is a change because for the rest of us, the collars protruded about 2.5” into the duct and needed to be cut down. The reason they use a collar is to prevent the cooled air from leaking into the gap between the top of the ceiling panel and the bottom of the AC air duct.

You either have the separation foam under the roof units out of place or could use more return air ducts in the ceiling. Lastly, you might want to seal your ducts after the farthest ceiling outlet on each run.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff&Brenda View Post
Attached are pictures for the Vent.

There is nothing protruding up into the Duct Work that would prevent A/C from working thru this vent. 3 other vents in the room blast out good cold air, but nothing out of this one.

There is nothing to Trim off this vent without destroying it.

The Hole the vent cover goes into is 4 5/8".

Anyone have any ideas, all are welcome.

Thanks,

Jeff
That piece locks onto the black collar on mine. That louvre is pulled out, the collar came with. Did you check to see if it is still there? If it’s not there, that could be your problem,as the cold air could be running between the ceiling, and the ducts..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:02 PM   #11

Jeff,

Here is the black collar that I cut down... Don’t judge my cutting abilities

Old 07-29-2018, 03:05 PM   #12

And without a collar, the col air could be running up the void between the ceiling and the vents pictured below..
My collars were about 1 “ or so too long...

Old 07-29-2018, 03:13 PM   #13

After watching a Video from REDWOOD. They state that the A/C systems in the REDWOODS are CLOSED Circuit Ducting with 2 Climate Zones and Thermostats.

Meaning the Living Room A/C Duct system should be closed off from the Bedroom and Vice Versa!

However in my UNIT Turning on the Living Room A/C only, you can feel Cool Air pumping into the Bedroom, thereby DEBUNKING the claim of a Closed Circuit System. The same is true if you turn on the Bedroom A/C only. You feel cool air in the Living Room area. Again, the Bedroom A/C is Not closed off from the Living Room.

I need some ideas if there is a FIX for this or Not. Obviously, I can't rip the roof off the RV to fix it.

I've Emailed REDWOOD, but don't expect to hear anything from them.

All Replies appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 07-29-2018, 04:29 PM   #14

Maybe the new ones are, but yours isn’t. Both ACs dump to common duct system.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time View Post
Maybe the new ones are, but yours isn’t. Both ACs dump to common duct system.
Pretty much figured that out. Now, I wonder if I am able to block off the VENTS before the Steps and separate the Ducting system?

Would this FIX the pressure problem between the 2 rooms?
Old 07-29-2018, 05:19 PM   #16

Quote:
After watching a Video from REDWOOD. They state that the A/C systems in the REDWOODS are CLOSED Circuit Ducting with 2 Climate Zones and Thermostats.

Meaning the Living Room A/C Duct system should be closed off from the Bedroom and Vice Versa!

However in my UNIT Turning on the Living Room A/C only, you can feel Cool Air pumping into the Bedroom, thereby DEBUNKING the claim of a Closed Circuit System. The same is true if you turn on the Bedroom A/C only. You feel cool air in the Living Room area. Again, the Bedroom A/C is Not closed off from the Living Room.

I need some ideas if there is a FIX for this or Not. Obviously, I can't rip the roof off the RV to fix it.

All Replies appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
Mine also does both..
Old 07-30-2018, 01:30 AM   #17

Quote:

All Replies appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
I agree with you Jeff. I believe both units dump into the same plenum and disperse throughout the coach.

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:40 AM   #18

I know for a fact my 2015 ac/heat pump duct on the rear unit pushes hot/cold air all the way to the other end of the coach. the duct system is common to both units . I am going to look at the bedroom duct registars I have always complained about it not being cool up there with out the middle unit running. thanks for the photos!!
Old 07-30-2018, 02:21 AM   #19

Mine has all the mods, but won’t cool off the bedroom like it used to.

Based on temp checks in the ducts between the supply and discharge, I’ve determined that my front AC unit has failed. It does everything right except output cool air. Even the compressor starts. When run alone, the rear unit has 20 degree difference between ducts. The front unit, almost no difference.

They’re not as expensive as I expected and will replace it myself.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:02 AM   #20

I have also done all the mods and repairs to the AC system. First, I have to say my duct work is not closed and AC's run through all the ducts. We just spent 15 days in North Myrtle Beach and high humidity and temps in the 90's. I was very, very surprised that I could keep the RW at 72 with only one running. I have also added foil tape over the holes in the bathroom to eliminate those vents since not needed. This helped a lot with the rear bedroom.
We like it cooler when sleeping so I would switch my front one off and turn rear on since we have the FL. In the morning the kitchen was at 65 and a bit to chilly for me but the AC's did there job ( for now)

This is the first time I ever tried only one at a time and it worked. The front cap insulation made a huge difference.

Steve