Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2016, 04:25 AM   #21
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
Danny, I agree. But, unfortunately, that seems to be the mentality of the RV industry.

-Fake warranties
-low quality tires or overloaded tires
-poor assembly of braking systems
-poorly designed suspensions
-plastic bushings on a 16000 lbs trailer
-poorly designed plumbing systems
-poorly designed drain systems

BUT, if one is going to be critical, one should also find something good to say...........they surely can make them look "purty" on the inside and outside. And, fortunately, I got mine in the first year of production when it seemed they were at least trying to do a better job of assembly.
Guy that's a good start on the design failure list

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:56 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Guy that's a good start on the design failure list

Dan,

I know......I could have doubled or maybe even tripled that list, but, I did not want to get carried away too far. I don't want to blame too much on poor engineering. I am a retired engineer and I fully understand that the RV industry is driven by marketing and sales groups within management. The engineering departments often are forced into taking shortcuts or limiting design of a product to keep costs down for the sake of sales. What seems ironic to me is that a company like Redwood is marketing to the "baby boomers" who are generally willing to pay a little more for a well designed, quality built product. Some of the shortcuts in product design that I have discovered in 4 1/2 years of ownership of my coach really leave me scratching my head. The items I listed are the big ones that I see. Some of those items, if done correctly, would have saved them money in assembly costs and/or warranty costs in the long term.

Fortunately, I have been capable enough to correct most of the deficiencies that have found without having to spend great amounts of money. At this time, I have possibly one additional upgrade that I may do this summer. That will be the addition of a shock absorber system.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:48 PM   #23

That is a good list! However I would have to admit I've had longer lists for prior units I've owned.

Once you get past the homogenized Lippert issues that are inherent to most all 5ers such as terrible suspension, Redwood did do a few things right. Shoot, after rebuilding my plumbing system so it doesn't leak, it's not a bad design
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:27 PM   #24

I think, after seeing other brands at rv shows, that RE is still one of the top FT units. I don't think but a small percentage of the problems are engineering/design but rather the folks on the assembly floor don't give a rat's patooty how is turns out as long as it's out the door, but from what I've seen it really doesn't matter the brand,they all just get shoved down the line & out the door.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:28 PM   #25

Damn auto correct, that supposed to be RW not RE!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:30 PM   #26

I hate those CHEAP Aluminum CHINESE JUNK LADDERS!
camper94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #27

Poor Quality Workmanship!

I am replying to the same problem others have noticed in this Forum. The Egress window in the rear of the RV is blocked by the Roof ladder. I have a small Window on the kitchen side that has an Egress Window, but have not tried to get out of it. The rear Window I could maybe get one of our dogs out, but not a full size human.

Now, in my Egress Window in the Bedroom, I have an Emergency Egress Ladder in there. That is the best place to get out if my Main Door is blocked.

Since my RV (2016 38RL) is out of warranty, I have had to take the RV to Lippert Customer Service in Goshen, IN back in October for Slide Repairs. For those who don't know, Lippert makes the Slide hydraulic system, but if anyone has a slide with a Cable system, that is not a Lippert system. Also, Lippert provide service for the Schwintech Slide (slide in slide)

It was during this trip to Lippert that I learned WHY our RV's are manufactured so poorly. The RV industry (for those who remember) work on Piece Rate. Lippert has just converted over to an Hourly Wage system.

Bottom Line: It doesn't really matter what brand RV you buy, it will probably be constructed very poorly!

In closing, I am checking with the Consumer Product Safety Commission on the EGRESS Window on my RV. I think REDWOOD should be made to correct this problem free of charge for all owners who have this issue.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:47 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff&Brenda View Post
I am replying to the same problem others have noticed in this Forum. The Egress window in the rear of the RV is blocked by the Roof ladder. I have a small Window on the kitchen side that has an Egress Window, but have not tried to get out of it. The rear Window I could maybe get one of our dogs out, but not a full size human.

Now, in my Egress Window in the Bedroom, I have an Emergency Egress Ladder in there. That is the best place to get out if my Main Door is blocked.

Since my RV (2016 38RL) is out of warranty, I have had to take the RV to Lippert Customer Service in Goshen, IN back in October for Slide Repairs. For those who don't know, Lippert makes the Slide hydraulic system, but if anyone has a slide with a Cable system, that is not a Lippert system. Also, Lippert provide service for the Schwintech Slide (slide in slide)

It was during this trip to Lippert that I learned WHY our RV's are manufactured so poorly. The RV industry (for those who remember) work on Piece Rate. Lippert has just converted over to an Hourly Wage system.

Bottom Line: It doesn't really matter what brand RV you buy, it will probably be constructed very poorly!

In closing, I am checking with the Consumer Product Safety Commission on the EGRESS Window on my RV. I think REDWOOD should be made to correct this problem free of charge for all owners who have this issue.
Jeff,

the only company so far to take "egress" seriously is Newmar who has included a egress door in the rear bathroom. I hope other manufactures follow their lead.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:36 PM   #29

That's fine for NEWMAR, however, that is a high end RV.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:45 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff&Brenda View Post
That's fine for NEWMAR, however, that is a high end RV.
Everything starts at the high end and then trickles down from there. Not too long ago, a residential refrigerator was only for the high end units. In the RV industry, this trickle down effect happens pretty fast too.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:33 PM   #31

I agree. Been RVing for over 20 years. The Biggest problem is they RV industry works on the CHEAP mode most of the time. But, when it comes to safety they rarely care about it! They have certain standards they have to meet within the RVIA guidelines and Consumer Products Safety Commission and also the Federal Trade Commission. Seems to be a Federal Agency around every corner. Unfortunately, that does not mean the RV industry has to abide by them. It's usually only after something devastating happens that they will take action.

So, with regards to the EGRESS Windows, I guess NO one has been trapped and killed in the REDWOOD line YET!

I am a safety NUT and make sure I have all the safety stuff in the RV for emergencies.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:32 PM   #32

I don't believe the ladders manufactured in Edwardsburg, MI and other local manufacturers are considered to be made in China. Our 2012 36RL has the large rear window behind the couch. Large stationary section at the top, egress section in the lower middle. Wouldn't matter if there was a fire to exit there as the couch blocks a good portion on the nominal size needed for an egress. That is why Redwood installed an egress window to the right of the couch (Off Door Side) to meet code for the egress window routes. The large rear window fits many brands of coaches, provides a lot of viewing area. Not every manufacturer has a ladder at the rear of the coach to block the egress portion of the window either. I agree on the height of the bedroom egress being quite high, but I would rather drop and break a few bones than burn to death in a fire. 2 years ago my wife asked RW management at the Rally about why they didn't provide the chain type ladder to safely egress from that window, and if I remember correctly just the window needed to be there for egress standards, not the convenience of a ladder. I do plan on buying one of those chain type ladders next year. Most people in a fire situation will exit the RV the way they came in, through the front door.

You can have your own ladder designed and custom built if you so desire, but I would bet it would cost a pretty penny to replace the one on the coach now. For the couple of times per year I use my ladder to access the roof, my original works well for me.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:21 AM   #33

I'm not gonna argue with you on the quality of Redwoods. Some of the stuff is manufactured in the US, but allot of things are made in China, Korea and other Cheap manufacturing countries. If the REDWOODS were made by all US manufacturers, the average RV owner couldn't afford them.

As for the EGRESS Windows, I would not recommend the Rope or chain ladders for the Bedroom Window. Check out this video: Start watching the video around the 10 minute mark.

I purchased the solid ladder that is demonstrated in the video and it works extremely well. Instead of trying to steady yourself on a Rope Ladder, you simply crawl down this one with ease. It is an 8 ft. drop from the bottom of the window to the ground.

In terms of Fire Safety, you should have a minimum of 3 fire extinguishers with you. 2 in the RV and one in your Tow Vehicle. For sure you need one in the Bedroom. I have one in my Washer/Dryer closet too, just in case of a dryer fire!

As always think safety and be safe!
Old 12-12-2017, 12:23 AM   #34

I don't remember where I read it, but someone else asked their Dealer or Regional Sales manager about the Ladder blocking the "Exit" window. The answer was "Remove the "Exit" sticker from the Window"
I'm not sure if either of us could get through that back exit window even without the ladder blockage, but the side window would work fine.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:39 AM   #35

The question remaining would be: Have you tried exiting through the side Window?

I weigh about 240 pounds, my Wife 160. Not worried about her, but it is a tight fit for me, but I can still get out! Don't forget the Blanket over the window Frame or you could possibly leave parts behind on the metal Frame!

Everyone should try to EGRESS their RV's thru the Windows (Bedroom and side windows at least once per year.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:47 AM   #36
Site Team

On a 5th wheel, when it’s parked, has 2 problem areas most likely for a fire.
#1 the RV type of refrigerator, but those fires start on the outer wall and go up the roof

#2 the front pin area due to all the batteries and electricity up there.

If I were in a 5th wheel and I thought it was on fire, it would be quicker to either go out the door or throw something through the largest window I could find. I wouldn’t be worrying about egress windows that are usually too small to begin with.

This spring I’m putting an automatic fire suppression system in both ends of my mh.