Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2015, 01:41 AM   #1

36 FL Flooded Kitchen

We have owned our 36 FL since march of 2014. Bought it new from Sutton RV Eugene OR. Had a great delivery experience.
In 14 months of ownership we have made many trips even attended the 2014 Redwood Rally.
l can remember one occasion putting out slide and we had no hot water pressure. Figured it was caused by kinked hose so put slide back in and out again solved problem.
We recently went to MS Gulf Coast set up at Buccuneer State Park to conviently attend a wedding. After a long shower I could not believe how much water was on the kitchen floor. I told my wife who was visiting her sister next camp site over our shower was done. The next day she was using sink to wash dishes and flooded kitchen again.
Attended great wedding and headed home early so I could tackle this problem. I knew if you have plumbing that moves or slides you have to have a flexible drain line. I removed the cabinet bottom under sink found drain hose completely pulled out of rigid pipe causing flooding. But more alarming was the hot and cold water hose were kinked and in danger of being cut by slide cabinet back this is what caused drain line to be pulled apart. Lack of tie wraps caused the problem. I rearranged water hoses reinstalled drain line and added 10 tie wraps 1/2 to 1 inch apart to keep hose in order while moving slides in and out 8 times all looked good. Put cabinet bottoms in so they can be removed for inspections.
Wanted to attache photo's but could not find
attachment icon.
Joel and Janis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 02:08 AM   #2

If you have photos, sure wish you would post them as we have a FL and kitchen sink plumbing is one of my concerns.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:04 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel and Janis View Post
We have owned our 36 FL since march of 2014. Bought it new from Sutton RV Eugene OR. Had a great delivery experience.
In 14 months of ownership we have made many trips even attended the 2014 Redwood Rally.
l can remember one occasion putting out slide and we had no hot water pressure. Figured it was caused by kinked hose so put slide back in and out again solved problem.
We recently went to MS Gulf Coast set up at Buccuneer State Park to conviently attend a wedding. After a long shower I could not believe how much water was on the kitchen floor. I told my wife who was visiting her sister next camp site over our shower was done. The next day she was using sink to wash dishes and flooded kitchen again.
Attended great wedding and headed home early so I could tackle this problem. I knew if you have plumbing that moves or slides you have to have a flexible drain line. I removed the cabinet bottom under sink found drain hose completely pulled out of rigid pipe causing flooding. But more alarming was the hot and cold water hose were kinked and in danger of being cut by slide cabinet back this is what caused drain line to be pulled apart. Lack of tie wraps caused the problem. I rearranged water hoses reinstalled drain line and added 10 tie wraps 1/2 to 1 inch apart to keep hose in order while moving slides in and out 8 times all looked good. Put cabinet bottoms in so they can be removed for inspections.
Wanted to attache photo's but could not find
attachment icon.

Joel, sorry to hear about your water issue. We had a similar one with the water lines under our bed in the RL.

To post pictures look for the paper clip icon along the top of the text box. If you don't see it there, "preview" the post and it will show up.

good luck
Old 04-18-2015, 03:25 AM   #4

we too have a front living and now that you have had water under the cabinet under the sink, I would suggest that you inspect the floor of the slide... outside... it could have been damaged by the water collecting in the corner. We had a drip for 2 weeks before noticing and that water found its way to the rear corner of the slide which has caused the wood to "warp"... at some point, we are looking at a kitchen slide floor replacement... goody!
marandjwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:07 PM   #5

Kitchen slide water damage

I was fortunate in that I had a big flooding problem so I stopped all water for the shower and sink before any real damage took place. But I will give it another inspection on the slide bottom today. As for as the dishwasher removal I can't give advice as my 5er does not have one. I had to remove the bottom of the cabinet floor by pulling up on bottom panels and arching all most to the point of breaking them to be able to remove. I removed all the stables and reinstalled at completion of repair. Left unsecured so I can do future periodic inspection on flex lines. I am really confident that I will not have any problems in the future as I have them really secured with tie wraps.

I DO HAVE PICTURES BUT I AM HAVING PROBLEMS SENDING THEM. I AM WORKING ON THIS AND WILL POST AS SOON AS I GET THE BUG OUT OF MY COMPUTER

Joel and Janis
Old 04-18-2015, 06:37 PM   #6

Pictures

20150413_163852-1.jpg

20150413_163909.jpg

20150413_173501.jpg

20150416_102514.jpg

Kitchen slide drain problem and fix.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:12 AM   #7

Thanks for the pictures

Old 04-19-2015, 02:49 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Good job Joel I hope that fix will solve this issue for you
Old 04-20-2015, 02:02 AM   #9
S&K

Nice job!
Doesn't look like you will be having any problems now!

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:53 AM   #10

Another note for 36FL

Thanks to everyone for the encouraging comments. Have tested the fix many times and I know I should not see that problem again. I forgot to mention, when the cabinet bottoms were removed I did notice that he other end of the flex hose had a damp spot so checked for tightness and found it was not tight as should have been. I had a pair of pliers large enough to tighten, so future problem can be avoided. I have read a few post about tires possible throwing water under the slide causing water on the kitchen floor. I would certainly recommend to anyone with unexplained water on the kitchen floor to pull the cabinet bottom and make sure it is not a slow drip from a loose compression fitting. This refers to the 36FL floor plan as I don't know anything about the other floor plans.

Joel and Janis
Old 04-21-2015, 04:05 AM   #11

Same cabinet / plumbing layout on our 38FL

Old 04-21-2015, 04:30 AM   #12
Site Team

Thanks Joel for posting this information. Hopefully you've saved others a whole lot of heartache.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #13

Thank you Dave and Ginny. Helping people is contagious. I will never forget how you helped me when we arrived at the 2014 Redwood Rally. I had one of those notorious goodyear marathon blowouts just before arrival Shipshewana. Our 36 FL looked like it had been in a train wreck. You came over assured me everything would be ok. Next morning you took me to service center. With your contacts we had all replacement parts needed. When you got through working your magic our Redwood looked like it had just come off assembly line. THANKS AGAIN.
Hope to see you, Ginny and the new MH soon. CONGRATS ON 37 YEARS.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:41 PM   #14
Site Team

Joel ~ will you and Janis be there again this year ?? We need to do another "campfire night " LOL
Old 04-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #15

Piper Guy

We have reserved our spot at Shipshewana. Can't wait to see you all again. The campfire is at the top of the list for things to do.

Joel and Janis
Old 05-03-2015, 12:57 AM   #16

I pulled our Kitchen Cabinet bottom up today and checked the Sink Drain line and water lines.
I sure do not want any suprizes with a water leak under there.
For the most part everything was ok and dry, the water lines were not ran very good and were rubbing.
I did a little housekeeping making sure everything is ran correctly, secure and tight.
Peace of mind - Priceless

I also put a shutoff valve on our Toilet water line just in case we have a issue with it.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:08 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Nice job Rob
These things should be coming from the factory looking like that
Old 05-03-2015, 01:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Nice job Rob
These things should be coming from the factory looking like that

Yes they should Shane

Old 05-06-2015, 05:42 PM   #19

Can you tell us the size and manufacturer of the valve you installed on the commode? We experienced the leak under the sink in our 2013 36FL yesterday. Thanks for posting the photos of the fix, it helped us get the repair done correctly.
riciren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by riciren View Post
Can you tell us the size and manufacturer of the valve you installed on the commode? We experienced the leak under the sink in our 2013 36FL yesterday. Thanks for posting the photos of the fix, it helped us get the repair done correctly.
It is a 1/2" pex shark bite brass ball valve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150506_111412.jpg (292.9 KB, 5 views)