Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #1

I visited the dealer this afternoon to check out our coach and saw it for the first time with all the slides in. We have the King Bed option and noted that the end of the bed is tight against thewardrobe/drawers on the opposite bulkhead.

We are planning to replace the existing mattress in the coach with our current King c/w pillow top mattress from the house, which is at least double the thickness of the RW mattress.

Have any other 36 FL owners exchanged the mattress for a residential King mattress and does it impede the closing of the slides.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #2

We have a 36FL and have a memory foam topper on the mattress. We roll back the topper to allow the mattress to collapse into the dresser. we have had no issues thusfar with that process.I would check with Redwood on the dimensions/specifications regarding your mattress and what the collapseable dresser drawers are capable of handling.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLJDM
We have a 36FL and have a memory foam topper on the mattress. We roll back the topper to allow the mattress to collapse into the dresser. we have had no issues thusfar with that process.I would check with Redwood on the dimensions/specifications regarding your mattress and what the collapseable dresser drawers are capable of handling.

Thanks John - I'll send a note to RW. We also use memory foam in lieu of the pillow top, but the mattress alone is about double the thickness of the RW offering.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #4

We Also have a F L and the mattress actually pushes the dresser in under the closet. Sorry, you can not use a thicker mattress? We also use the foam and roll it back, about a foot
Old 02-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #5

Thanks for the response, so it is either back to the drawing board or taking the bed apart every time you bring the slides in.
My preference is keeping it simple, but can't guarantee the other half, who has an extra vote.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriana
Thanks for the response, so it is either back to the drawing board or taking the bed apart every time you bring the slides in.

My preference is keeping it simple, but can't guarantee the other half, who has an extra vote.

We have a 2012 36RL with the standard RW queen bed. Wehave always beenused to a very firm mattress in our home. We were very pleasently surprised with the the RW queen, in that even though it has the pillow top which is much softer than we are accustom to and no box spring, we find it very comfortable. You may want to give the RW bed a try before you make your decision to replace it.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #7

We have a 36FL and like COLJDM and Oriana we use a 2" foam topper on our mattress and have to roll it back when we bring the slides in. I think the standard mattress that comes with the Redwood is about as thick as you can go without causing you problems.
We are very comfortable with just the 2" topper but have discovered that they really get stiff in dry climates. When we in in Big Bend National Park and and New Mexico we noticed it getting very hard and thought maybe it was time to replace it. I did a Google search on foam mattress toppers and humidity and discovered that they get hard in low humidity and buttery soft in high humidity. We bought a small humidifier and now our mattress topper and our sinuses are in good shape.

Sorry about going a little off topic at the end there but since I'm not the only one here using a foam mattress topper, I figured I'd share that experience as well.
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #8

We have ordered the king bed option with our new 36RE. If we are not happy with that mattress, will a king sleep number work. We have one in the motorhome and love it.

Thanks
jpdunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #9

We had the Radius Corner King Sleep number in our Montana and it was the first item moved from the Montana into our 36RL and we have had no problems, and with the radius corners it makes it a little easier getting around the corners of the bed.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #10

Jim, we took a memory foam topper and placed it on our King Mattress that came with our coach, we sleep well
Old 06-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #11

Do you put the sleep number mattress right on top of the Euro springs?
USN Retired
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #12

You will have to check the height of the mattress, as when the slides are closed the mattress pushes the lower drawers in and slides below the wardrobes. The top of the mattress cannot be any higher than the top of the lower drawers.

We also initially planned on taking our residential mattress out to the coach, but even removing the box spring it was too high. This would have required modifying the wooden base and drawers. As the bedroom doesn't have a lot of room to manoeuvre a king mattresswe reconsidered andstayed with the RW mattress & use a 2" memory foam topper. When bringing the slides in we fold the bottom of the foam topper up to the head of the bed.

This combination is surprisingly comfortable.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredtp
Do you put the sleep number mattress right on top of the Euro springs?
I cut a 1 inch sliver of plywood (or osb) and put it on the center seam of the "Euro frame" to raise it up level with the outer rails. Then I cut 2 pieces of plywood length wise so the boards came together over the middle. I used self tapping 1 inch screws to hold everything together.

Before I put the boards on top of the frame, I put the control unit under the bed. I drilled a 3/4 hole in the side of the bed by the plug so I could run the plug out from under the bed and plug it in. I also drilled 2 other holes (through my plywood) at the head of the bed for the airlines.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #14

We started with our Sleep Number on the Euro springs, but weren't overly happy with that setup, so last week we removed the Euro springs and installed two sections of 3/4" luan to support the Sleep Number, much better in our opinion
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote