Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #21

Ashley,

Just for the record for the others on this thread, I could have fixed most of the issues on my Redwood with a little time and money... after spending all that money on my unit and only getting 5 weeks vacation (3 that I had to buy over and above the 2 I am entitled to) I had little of either to waste. I own an air compressor, chop saw, and nail guns but frankly after spending all that money and having a warranty, Redwood could damn well fix it.

A few weeks after we picked up the coach, during a hot spell, the trim that covers the connection between the front cap and the exterior wall popped off on both sides at the bottom of the cap. The dealer applied silicon to both sides and taped it down while the silicon set. When we got the next hot spell, the trim on the convenience center side popped off again and would not re-seat. The dealer applied a generous amount of silicon to the gap and problem solved... not pretty but it's fixed.

We had and now still have another common problem... I am guessing there are relative humidity differences between the factory during fabrication and where I live on the north shore of Lake Ontario as well as my 5 weeks beside the ocean this summer causing all the trim to swell.

The trim above the cupboard containing the slide controls and tank monitors just plain fell off. It was toe nailed on... dealer glued and re-nailed it.

The cedar trim in the diva closet all bowed and popped its staples on ALL the corners... dealer cut and re-installed.

Wall to Ceiling trim in the bedroom slide and the entire length of the kitchen slide bowed out 1-1/2"... dealer removed, cut, and re-installed.

Back wall of BR office area made in 2 pieces on either side of the back window and then "wallpaper" applied at factory. Gap shifted and opened distorting wallpaper... dealer cut wallpaper the full height from window to floor to relieve pressure and applied a 1-1/2" trim tape to the cut.

Back exterior door for BR office did not fit opening correctly and was rubbing rain gutter. Fix was to remove and re-install rain gutter introducing more holes into the side wall or use a file and file down the door to get a gap... dealer filed down the door, problem fixed.

Bedroom door rubbed against 2nd A/C controller on wall when bedroom slide closed resulting in an area the size of a nickel with no stain left... dealer installed new door, moved controller, and applied a self adhesive pad to eliminate future occurrence.

All these items were fixed at the dealer in 5 days at the end of the season and I witnessed the winterization so I can do it myself next year.

During my monthly winter inspection to check for rodents and run the furnace and genny in Feb I am noticed the slide trim on the left side of the washer/dryer closet had swelled and was rubbing on the floor. If this is left to continue, it will damage the lino. I noticed the trim was wet... maybe that caused the swelling, we had a huge wind storm and torrential rain in the days just before. I am going up to the storage area this Sunday... we have had significant winds, wet snow, and rain that past 3 days... I am actually afraid of what I may find when I open the slides for my monthly inspection.

This will be fixed by the dealer as part of my 1st year annual inspection in late April... I will be asking them to check the seals as well as the slide alignment when closed since this is clearly indicated as a inspection they must perform to confirm my warranty.

These kinds of issues happen when real wood is used rather than plastic but I have seen these issues mentioned in other posts on this forum as well. This is a QC issue that needs to be fixed... RW is well along on the number of units built, it is time to stop seeing these kinds of comments from newer owners.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
I would sure like to see someone from Redwood comment here. I think we need a bit of positive reinforcement. Maybe I would be better off walking away and losing my down payment come April.
Rick - I suggest looking at the big picture. This thread has two owners obviously unhappy with the quality of their coach and the customer service received from RW and/or their dealer. The RW website has a news posting advising of the 1000th unit leaving the factory. Unfortunately, no company can guarantee 100% problem free. On this forum we also have numerous postsfrom owners outlining QC issues with their coachesthat have been addressed by RW, which in many cases have surpassed their expectations.

These are very complex assets that are subjected to a beating while driving on our not so well maintained roads andfrequent weather changes. When I saw the amount of wood in the RW, I expected to deal with problems. We liveon theWest Coast which I suspect has much higher humidity than the factory, so I expect the trim and structure will expand.Whenproblems arise Ihave full confidence that our dealer will resolve them, or I will contact RW directly.

In anticipation of potential defects, prior to purchasing a RW I researched their customer service and how they responded to warranty issues. The warranty is one of the best in the industry and the greatest majority of comments from owners are positive.

Ourlimited experience of contacting RW is 100% positive. We have met and talked to their local sales representative and found him to be very pleasant and helpful. He went out of his way to answer a question regarding our coach. We also sent a query via the website at 2130 (PST) on a Friday and received an almost immediate response from the General Manager.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #23

Thanks for putting it in perspective. But my big picture is selling a home and belongings to pursue a dream that was concocted over 10 years ago. And now we are finally here within 6 months of making it happen. Whether it is one or two in a hundred I just don't want to wind up being the Ashley or Lilliputz spending money and nights in a hotel room because my new home isn't performing.

I ran a yacht manufacturing company for 10 years and our motto was simple "exceed your expectations" . admittedly there were a couple that we could just never satisfy. Even as hard as I would try as the President of the company. I am very familiar with the little things that can go wrong due the complexity of RV's and yachts. It the big stuff I sweat and lack of follow up on even an occasional basis that just is not acceptable.

I plan to have a very frank discussion with my dealer before delivery. I want to make sure the commitment is there.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
I would sure like to see someone from Redwood comment here. I think we need a bit of positive reinforcement. Maybe I would be better off walking away and losing my down payment come April.
Rick - I suggest looking at the big picture. This thread has two owners obviously unhappy with the quality of their coach and the customer service received from RW and/or their dealer. The RW website has a news posting advising of the 1000th unit leaving the factory. Unfortunately, no company can guarantee 100% problem free. On this forum we also have numerous postsfrom owners outlining QC issues with their coachesthat have been addressed by RW, which in many cases have surpassed their expectations.

These are very complex assets that are subjected to a beating while driving on our not so well maintained roads andfrequent weather changes. When I saw the amount of wood in the RW, I expected to deal with problems. We liveon theWest Coast which I suspect has much higher humidity than the factory, so I expect the trim and structure will expand.Whenproblems arise Ihave full confidence that our dealer will resolve them, or I will contact RW directly.

In anticipation of potential defects, prior to purchasing a RW I researched their customer service and how they responded to warranty issues. The warranty is one of the best in the industry and the greatest majority of comments from owners are positive.

Ourlimited experience of contacting RW is 100% positive. We have met and talked to their local sales representative and found him to be very pleasant and helpful. He went out of his way to answer a question regarding our coach. We also sent a query via the website at 2130 (PST) on a Friday and received an almost immediate response from the General Manager.

Well said
Old 02-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #25

I would still like to see some Redwood interaction here. It worked really well for me in a previous life selling 28 to 52 ft yachts.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #26

Rick,

You are right on... it is a huge issue if the RW is your home... all the more reason to take all the time you need to PDI and ask for the opportunity to spend the night or weekend onsite in the unit.

Being miles away from your dealer with issues ruins a holiday for part timers and full timers alike.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #27
Site Team

Look folks....I realize that some people on this forum think I'm paid by Redwood to defend them but I'm not.

I scratch my head when I hear negative stories because even though I've had significant problems, Redwood HAS ALWAYS taken care of my problems and have asked me how they could help. WHY? What's the difference between my coach and theirs?

For example, someone had posted on here a few months ago that the management didn't care about their problems, yet the factory paid to have their trailer picked up and hauled over a 1000 miles each way. Those aren't the actions of a company that doesn't care and the disgruntled owner failed the mention this little bit of information. I only found out myself when I called the company to give them hell after reading this persons posts.

Question.....why would the company work with some of the dealers and not others? Or are the dealers making the company the scapegoat because they didn't want to fix a problem? Just asking
Old 02-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #28

To further reinforce how Rick feels when comparing yachts to RWs...

I have sailed for 15 years on Lake Ontario... 5 times circumnavigating Lake Ontario 24/7 over 4 days in what is know as the "300" on C&C 29s and C&C 99s.

Not very complex to some but a C&C 99 costs as much as an RW. BAD things happen when the QC is not right... we lost a carbon fiber mast 6 feet above the deck and all our rigging while doing 15 knots due to a chainplate weld failure on a brand new yacht... crew had to change their shorts! We had other boats nearby that came to our assistance... poor weld missed by manufacturer , dealer PDI, and owner!

Old 02-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #29

Dave... I have to wonder about some dealers too. My dealer changed out my DVD player 3 times last summer and finally gave me a different model. Al my issues were fixed at the end of the season and they have already told me they will fix my latest issue when I do my 1 yr warranty check as soon as we thaw out up here. I am a little concerned how Ashley was treated but that seems to be headed in the right direction now.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #30

I can speak from experience that selecting and managing a dealer network is one of the toughest tasks the manufacturer has to deal with. Too few dealers with too many lines dilutes the focus that a quality manufacturer needs at the point of sale. Dave mentioned some of the heroic actions taken by Redwood. Those are outstanding efforts that build confidence in the brand and with customers that choose to own the brand. Redwood needs to take credit when credit is due.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #31

Rick & Brad - I can relate to both your experiences, having spent 38 years at sea, with mostin command of large Ro/Pax vessels and a few yearsas the General Manager of a commercialshipyard.
As an operator, when in the SY for repairs/maintenance we were fortunate thatmy officers and Iinspected the S/Y work on an ongoing basis, identifying issues and having them resolved immediately, before further work commenced. Getting the job done right was critical, failures mid Atlantic or Pacific weren't acceptable.

When shipyard GM we had a fully functioning QA, especially for welding, pipe fitting, mechanical and safety equipment. We endeavoured to give exceptional customer service and live up to our warranty, but unfortunately we couldn't please every customer, no matter how hard we tried.

With the RV we only get to inspect the finished product, so I will be conducting a thorough inspection and testing of the systems before accepting from the dealer, similar to our post refit inspection prior to departing a SY.Being our first RV this will present some challenges, but we have done our research, especially on this forum and other sites on the internet.Hopefully we will pick up any major issues missed by the RW and the dealer, as I firmly believe that all parties have a responsibility - manufacturer, dealer and owner. As owner rep on the vessel we had to ensure we received quality work, either repairs or new building.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:23 AM   #32

I never said the dealership was completely faultless. They did not do a good job either. However when I contacted Redwood and told them how unsatisfied I was with it they did nothing. I am over four hours away from that dealership and after them not fixing my issues that time obviously I didn't want to go back to them. I asked Redwood to help me find a dealership closer to my location. Two and a half months later I was still looking. Finally found one and they didn't seem to know much about Redwoods at all. That is the manufacturer's fault. They need to take the time to make sure every dealership that carries and works on redwoods are thoroughly educated on their product. I know I would want whoever is representing me as a company to be fully capable of an excellent job.

Also, I do not speak for every Redwood owner in the world, I can only speak for my husband and myself and as for us we're beyond unhappy. Some of you keep speaking of how wonderful Redwood's customer service has been, well they haven't been to me. It takes months of email after email and phone call after phone call just to get a response of "let me look into this and see what I can do", only to not hear from them again.

As for inspecting it myself when I received it, you best believe I took my time and went over every little thing in that trailer. Redwood was even notified before I ever left the dealer because stuff had to be ordered that was not there.

Let me reiterate, I am not speaking for every owner out there. If you're happy with your unit and have received excellent service then that is wonderful. I wish it would be that way for everyone. All I know is it hasn't been that way for me at all. I am extremely unsatisfied and I want something done. There's no excuse whatsoever for any consumer to go through these types of issues.

Rick I can totally understand your extreme hesitation now. I researched and read through these same forums before I ordered my 36re last year. Now I just wish there would have been someone on here with some of the issues I've faced so maybe I would not be in this situation. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy your redwood, however if I were you I would at the very least take these issues I'm having and write them down. It's something to check when you inspect your rv. Also pay attention because I will let you know if Redwood takes care of these issues. Obviouslyit hasn't been in a timely manner as I have been having these issues for nearly a year. April will be a year that I have had my unit.
Something has to be done.
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #33

Ashley,

I do not know your location, nor have I had other dealer experiences with Redwood. If you are anywhere near Lazy Days in Tucson or Tamp please visit them with your issues. They have been excellent to work with and I am satisfied with their service and technicians.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #34

The truth is that many of these problems are simply due to poor workmanship. Sure you can take the rig back to the dealership or factory if you are close BUT YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO if the work was done right in the first place. That is what some folks are talking about. I have had to fix to many problems that I should not have had to fix. I did not have this many issues with the other rigs I owned for over nine years with just one. I have had this rig for one year this May. People continue to have the same problems with new rig. I realize that some folks on this forum would smile and wave bye bye while they were on a sinking ship with the water lapping at their necks. But others can see the ship starting to sink. Make everyone happy while you are there then poof gone. Thou dost protest to much
DonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #35

Strange isn't it. The last ship I was on was supposed to be sinking, but instead it continues to come in #1 seller and the mighty QC ships around it such as Carriage and Teton are laying at the bottom of the sea.Edited by: atom ant
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #36

Jlandon: I'm nowhere near Tucson I'm in East Texas. Thank you though for the information, I will store it in case I ever am in that area.

DonMac: You are absolutely right things should be done correctly in the first place. It is costly and inconvenient to have to take a brand new rig in ateveryturn for repairs.The fact that these are some issues thatother people are having does make me wonder why something hasn't been done already. I mean why send out a product that you are aware has problems. That's unacceptable.
P.S. The sinking shipcomments made me smile. I hope I don't have to grab my oxygen tank and wetsuit.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #37
Site Team

Ashley, When Redwood called you a couple of days ago, what was the plan of attack for fixing your coach?
Old 02-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #38

Blenhardt: They didn't have one at all. They asked me to send them the email again to a different person and said that they would contact me and wanted to resolve these issues. That's the last I heard from them. So I'm still pretty angry. I'm trying really hard to not get in super mad mode. I told them exactly how I feel about the way I've been done and strung along all this time and all they had to say was "we're sorry to hear that and we thank you for giving us the chance to work with you". As I said they haven't contacted me even once since then to say anything about my issues, what the email said, how they plan to move forward, how long this may take, see where I currently am to help me find a dealer, etc. etc. So I'm sorry to those people who are extreme Redwood backers but as you can see they just are not at the top of my list right now for good reason.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #39

Ashley, why don't you try to contact Tom Montague directly. The buck stops there.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #40

I'm a Calgary Alberta born and raised guy... Canada's version of a pissed off Texan.

If I had the kind of issues Ashley and Lillyputz had for over a year, I might be inclined to show up with my rig and drive it thru their showroom window to see if that got anyone's attention...

Perhaps showing up at a big RV show to discuss your concerns with the factory reps while 10-15 potential buyers are around would get things rolling!