Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #1

Wife and I are upgrading from a Cougar 325 SRX toyhauler and I'm really impressed with the Redwood, but I have a few questions:
a) Is there as big a difference between the Redwood and Blackwood in quality as there is in price?
b) I'm looking at some 2012 models, has there been much change in the new 2013 models?
c) Our tow rig is a 2002 Chev 3500 DRW 8.1L V8 with Allison transmission. Being this old, can it tow a Redwood or Blackwood?
d) A dealer in Elkhart, IN seems to have some pretty good prices and several available, any experience here?
e)We recently toured the Excel and New Horizon plants in KS, how does RW compare?
The message board appears to be very friendly and satisfied. I look forward to more info, thanks in advance.
Pigdoc

pigdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:53 AM   #2

Pigdoc, we can give you some question help. (a) there is a difference between the Redwood and Blackwood. The craftmanship is the similar but to us one is a very nice camper and one is a nice home with a more upgraded look. You have to see both next to each other. (b) As everything in the world today it changes on a daily basis. We have a 2013 rl and you see that they are upgrading the later models as they come off the line and going into the new year. (all for the good) Hower 2012 and our coach look very similar. (c) I don't have a truck yet because we use our rig as a cottage for the time being. We will be purchasing a GMC or Chev diesel dually next year. (Fiscal cliff stuff) (d) No experience in the Elkhart area other than the first motorhome we purchased from there. (and a majority of the other RV's constructed there) (e) Well you saw the best of the best in KS. But so are there prices, rightfully so. You have to make that decision as to how much you want to invest on a vehicle that looses value quicker than anything other than electronics. (My point of view) We bought our with that in mind and have never looked back. Good luck on making your decision.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:44 AM   #3

Pigdoc, Jay pretty much hit the nail on the head. In this forum there was a 2012 36RE for sale (Lzbt is forum name 410-610-6296) and Undrpsi posted on 5 Sep a comparison of Redwood and excel. Hope this helps
Old 12-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #4

Since you're moving up from a Cougar it will
be a major change. We went from a Montana to our Redwood and everything about
the Redwood is head and shoulders above the Montana. If you're every looked at
a Montana then looked at a Mountaineer you could get an idea of the difference
between a Blackwood and Redwood. I think the Blackwood would make a good unit,
but in our opinion just isn't anywhere near as upscale. I assume the Dealer you're referencing in Elkhart is Tiara. We checked prices with them, but ended up ordering through Lazy Days in Tampa (we were in Florida at the time). Your TV will probably be marginal, mainly because of it's age. GM has made many changes and improvements and the 2011 and new are great towing machines. Redwoods are heavy, we're running at or slightly over it gross and putting 3900 Lbs Pin weight on the TV. Best wishes and good luck</span>

2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #5

Not to beat a dead horse but we had a Montana that we were completly happy with, had no intentions of trading.....until we saw the RW. Stopped in at the dealer for a new water filter before we left Wy. and the rest is history. We are in our second year of fulltiming and are extra heavy becuse we still have too much stuff but the RW pulls really well and the Duramax is great. Would do it again in a heartbeat!
2013 Redwood 36RL Full paint D/W W/D 2 A/C's and all the other stuff.
jrgkfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

Do some research on the Blackwood A dealer here in TX told me the Blackwood is already on it's way out
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replies, it is good to hear positive discussion. I saw a used 2012 RW36RL, and he said the Blackwood was being discontinued. I've seen the Redwood's and really like the upscale appearance and furnishings. But I also have to be comfortable with the construction. I've also looked at Artic Fox 32-5M, but there are no dealers close to Iowa. Perhaps I should tour the plant, as I did with Excel and New Horizon, to better understand the construction. Our plan would be to use the 5er for up to a month of living/traveling, but not FT. Again, thanks to all.
Pigdoc

pigdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #8

Pigdoc,

Webster City RV in Webster City, Iowa is where I bought my 2013 36RL. I HIGHLY recommend looking at this dealership if you are consider buying a Redwood. In fact, talk with Nick Smith, I know he will take care of you. Tell him Dave C. sent you. I do not get any from of commission from him. I just like to return the favor for all his efforts and time he spent with me when ordering my coach. The service dept. is top notch as well. I also looked at the New Horizon and they are extremely nice, but they are extremely heavy and my previous 1 ton single rear wheel and now my new dual rear wheel would not handle the weight of one. Happy shopping...

Old 12-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #9

Just got back from a night at our RL. Anyway, you said you will use your camper for only one month. We stay in ours almost full time for seven months. Love the space but time goes on and values drop. If you want the best and don't use it you're throwing you money away. If you would use it for at least six months you could almost justify the price difference. Plus as mentioned here the new dw trucks have been manufactured to pull the Redwoods. The upscale heavier units require a bigger tv. This blog has mentioned many times that the initial pulling is the easy part, it's the stopping that really counts. Just me.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #10
Site Team

We also bought our Redwood from Webster City Rv and higly recommend them.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #11

Pigdoc - we just purchased a Redwood 36FL. At the dealer we compared the RW to a Montana &amp; Mountaineer. Although similar floor plans the Montana was significantly better than the Mountaineer and the RWfar superiorthan the Montana.Our dealer didn't have any Blackwoods, but I assume the difference would be consistent with the differences between the Montana &amp; Mountaineer.
We also looked at 2012's, butthe price difference was negligible and the newer units are being continuously improved. Purchasing from a local dealerwas worth the small premium for ajust out the factory 2013.
Don't know the GMC specs, but would think a 3500 dually can handle the pin weight.Your manual should include the specs for max towing weight of the trailer and gross combinedweight of the truck &amp; trailer.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #12

Talking to the salesman at the dealership this afternoon, he mentioned they have already ceased production ofthe Blackwood,or will be shortly.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote