Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #1

I was eastbound on Colorado route 160 and saw a FBP Redwood heading west. I saw them a few miles west of Durango. If it's someone from here... Hello!!

btw... How'd ya like going over Wolf Creek Pass??
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinAnderson
I was eastbound on Colorado route 160 and saw a FBP Redwood heading west. I saw them a few miles west of Durango. If it's someone from here... Hello!!

You going to Durango/Pagosa Springs?
Old 05-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:

Steve...........I would like to hear from you about how the roads are out in Colorado. We are headed that way in late June and early July.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #4

Buddy, We went through Durango/Pagosa Springs and then through Alamosa on our way to Colorado Springs.

Hoosier Guy, The roads were clear and dry in southern Colorado although we did hit some light flurries at 10,000 feet. It was brief and nothing to worry about.
We will be making our way toward Vail in a week or so and I can give you an update then.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #5
Site Team

Steve...........we are planning to arrive in Gunnison on June 28 and stay there for about 12 days then work our way down to Mesa Verde for a few days. I hear that US-550 is nearly impassable with an RV between Ouray and Durango. So, I guess we will have to backtrack east to US-285, or to I-25 to get down to US-160 and go back west to Mesa Verde.

Thanks. Guy

Old 05-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #6

From what I could determine the main concern when taking 550 is Red Mountain Pass. If you go to www.irv2.com and search colorado 550 or red mountain pass you will get information from other RVers that have taken that route. The route seems passable for both RVs and big rigs depending on your experience and comfort level when mountain driving. I'm a flat-lander like you so anything over a 6% grade gets my attention.
Here's a Youtube video of a motorcycle going over the pass. You'll notice a tractor/trailer coming from the opposite direction so that's encouraging.

I read on irv2.com that 550 has quite a few pull offs where you can take in the gorgeous views and give your nerves, brakes and engine an opportunity to cool down and to get some color back in your knuckles...

Mesa Verde - We stayed at La Mesa Rv Park in Cortez. They aren't big but are big rig friendly and take Passport America from Sunday to Thursday. If you stay in Cortez and like Mexican food, I recommend La Fiesta by the Days Inn motel.... yum. You can buy their delicious salsa too. Good Stuff..

If your going to spend a lot of time in the mountains get the
Mountain Directory,www.</span><b style="color: rgb0, 153, 51; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 16px; white-space: nowrap;">mountaindirectory[/b].com/ . </span>You can download it to your computer for easy reference.</span>
Old 05-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
From what I could determine the main concern when taking 550 is Red Mountain Pass. If you go to www.irv2.com and search colorado 550 or red mountain pass you will get information from other RVers that have taken that route. The route seems passable for both RVs and big rigs depending on your experience and comfort level when mountain driving. I'm a flat-lander like you so anything over a 6% grade gets my attention.

Here's a Youtube video of a motorcycle going over the pass. You'll notice a tractor/trailer coming from the opposite direction so that's encouraging.

I read on irv2.com that 550 has quite a few pull offs where you can take in the gorgeous views and give your nerves, brakes and engine an opportunity to cool down and to get some color back in your knuckles...

Mesa Verde - We stayed at La Mesa Rv Park in Cortez. They aren't big but are big rig friendly and take Passport America from Sunday to Thursday. If you stay in Cortez and like Mexican food, I recommend La Fiesta by the Days Inn motel.... yum. You can buy their delicious salsa too. Good Stuff..

If your going to spend a lot of time in the mountains get the

Mountain Directory,www.<B style="FONT-SIZE: 14px; LINE-HEIGHT: 16px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">mountaindirectory[/B].com/ . You can download it to your computer for easy reference.

Steve,

Thanks for the information. In the past, I have traveled out west in the mountains extensively but this will be my first time pulling a 5th wheel.

We already have reservations for 4 days in Mancos at Mesa Verde RV Resort. We will check out La Fiestaresturant. Thanks for the recommendations.

Guy