Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2015, 03:16 PM   #1

Newbie, Maybe

Hello all,
We're looking at a 2012 RL to replace our damaged Montana. If we can make the money work, we should own a Redwood by this time next week. In order to feel like I've done my due diligence, I'm looking into the Owners Groups to gather my intel

Thanx,

Jim

Remember, it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
j_a_wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:01 PM   #2

We bought a used 36RL last October and living in it full time since the first of April. Make sure it has the options you will need for how you are going to use it. If traveling a lot make sure it has the tire upgrade to Goodyear G's and disc brakes. Heat pump on the ac is good for the milder winters.
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:41 PM   #3

I would also suggest that you look closely at your tow vehicle. Many opinions abound on this and the other forum about this truck or that, but I'm one of the few who have towed our 36RL with both single rear wheel 1 ton and dual rear wheel 1 ton. I can't emphasize enough how much more stable the dually is as well as up in the comfort zone of pin weight. A single rear wheel 1 ton just doesn't have the cargo carrying capacity to handle the RL in my opinion. One of my fears was either getting stopped by law enforcement (not too likely) or getting into or causing an accident investigated by law enforcement or insurance companies. If you are overloading your tv, you could be denied coverage by your insurance carrier. Just some things to think about.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:12 PM   #4
Site Team

Welcome to our group !! Plus 2 with Jim , I towed ours with a ;350 SRW and lets just say someone got a very nice 8 month old truck when I went to a Dually. Especially with the RL, as it has a heavy pin weight. Tows great because of it but is heavy.
As others have said, if you're going to be traveling G tires and wheels and Disc brakes are must haves.

Get a good extended warranty in with the deal and you should be good to go. You might also consider having a NRVIA certified inspector do a pre-purchase inspection if there is one near the coach.

You'll love the RL. We have towed ours more than 15k miles in a little over 2 years and it will see another 4-5k this year. Planning on full time next winter if all goes well.