Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #1

Hello:

I'm a new owner of a 2013 Redwood 36RL, and I'm very pleased with the unit. This our 5th 5ver, we moved up from a Titanium for more comfort and storage space. We are "half timers", we spend about half of each year in the trailer.

We just got back from a month and a half trip through Northern Ontario and Manitoba, we had just enough time to pack the Redwood before taking off on the trip, now that the Redwood is back in the driveway some repacking and adjustments are being made so the trailer works better for us.

A couple of comments and questions:

The trailer handles well and is smoother going over bridge approaches and road undulations and the addition fresh water and waste capacity is great for provincial campgrounds here with only electricity. I can feel the fresh water load when hauling with a full load, those extra thousand pounds or so make a difference!

The trailer was relatively trouble free although it will be going back to the dealer for a couple of adjustments and to have a washer/dryer installed.

One thing that my wife first noticed is that there are no towel racks in the bathroom, any suggestions for installing a couple of them?

I noticed that the rear sofa tended to move a bit on those northern Ontario roads, it loosened the trim around the bottom of the window. I've placed a 2X4 spacer on the floor between the sofa and the wall, hopefully this will keep it away from the window.

The basement floor seems to be quite slippery, stuff moves around in there as well, I hope that some "Armor-all" stuff wasn't put on the floor to make it shiny! I will scuff it up or put down a carpet of some sort to stop the movement. Any other suggestions?

The most serious issue I found when I brought it home from the dealer was that the bedroom slide only opened half way and the head of the bed itself started to pull away from the wall. We are a distance from our dealer so I removed the bed and frame to expose the stuff under the bed. Redwood had installed a plywood spacer (supporting the clamp that holds the washer/dryer drain pipe in place before it goes through the floor) too close to the side of the bed "box" that moves, the spacer locked to the bed box, stopping the slide movement and partially pulling the head of the box from the wall.

I shortened the spacer and put the bed assembly back together, when we got back from the trip I went in again and rebuilt the head of the bed's wood frame, replacing the stapes that had given way with glue and screws. In defence of our dealer, the slide had worked well numerous times before the RV got into our driveway, I assume some slight movement of the bed brought the interference mentioned above.

I look forward to our future trips in the Redwood!

Edited by: almcc
Old 07-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #2

Welcome to the family, I have a 2013 36 FB and the washer and dryer is on the opposite wall and not on the slide at all, but there has been problems and a few entry's on solutions to the same problem your having. I have a 2013 Ford F450 as well and it does what I bought it to do very well.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #3

Welcome to our growing family! You will enjoy your new Redwood. We too have a 36RL and love it.

Regarding a towel rack. We opted for an over the door towel rack. Several models are available at Camping World or larger RV dealerships.

You sound like a hands on guy. Good luck with your fixes. Vic

Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by almcc
Hello:

I'm a new owner of a 2013 Redwood 36RL, and I'm very pleased with the unit. This our 5th 5ver, we moved up from a Titanium for more comfort and storage space. We are "half timers", we spend about half of each year in the trailer.

We just got back from a month and a half trip through Northern Ontario and Manitoba, we had just enough time to pack the Redwood before taking off on the trip, now that the Redwood is back in the driveway some repacking and adjustments are being made so the trailer works better for us.

A couple of comments and questions:

The trailer handles well and is smoother going over bridge approaches and road undulations and the addition fresh water and waste capacity is great for provincial campgrounds here with only electricity. I can feel the fresh water load when hauling with a full load, those extra thousand pounds or so make a difference!

The trailer was relatively trouble free although it will be going back to the dealer for a couple of adjustments and to have a washer/dryer installed.

One thing that my wife first noticed is that there are no towel racks in the bathroom, any suggestions for installing a couple of them?

I noticed that the rear sofa tended to move a bit on those northern Ontario roads, it loosened the trim around the bottom of the window. I've placed a 2X4 spacer on the floor between the sofa and the wall, hopefully this will keep it away from the window.

The basement floor seems to be quite slippery, stuff moves around in there as well, I hope that some "Armor-all" stuff wasn't put on the floor to make it shiny! I will scuff it up or put down a carpet of some sort to stop the movement. Any other suggestions?

The most serious issue I found when I brought it home from the dealer was that the bedroom slide only opened half way and the head of the bed itself started to pull away from the wall. We are a distance from our dealer so I removed the bed and frame to expose the stuff under the bed. Redwood had installed a plywood spacer (supporting the clamp that holds the washer/dryer drain pipe in place before it goes through the floor) too close to the side of the bed "box" that moves, the spacer locked to the bed box, stopping the slide movement and partially pulling the head of the box from the wall.

I shortened the spacer and put the bed assembly back together, when we got back from the trip I went in again and rebuilt the head of the bed's wood frame, replacing the stapes that had given way with glue and screws. In defence of our dealer, the slide had worked well numerous times before the RV got into our driveway, I assume some slight movement of the bed brought the interference mentioned above.

I look forward to our future trips in the Redwood!

Welcome and congratulations on your new purchase!!

We also have a 36RL. We found with regards to the trim issue, wetake our couch cushions off before traveling as they tend to"grab" the slide 2nd to movement during travels. Haven't had any bedroom slid issues.

All in all, we love ours and spend about 4-6 months per year in it too.

Happy travels.
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #5

Thanks for the information folks!

Steve, our sofa is the optional sofa bed with the hard back, I don't think that I can remove the back cushions. It the back of the sofa that's interfering with the back window trim. I do remove the "seat" cushions to prevent the fouling with the curbside slide.

Al

Old 07-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #6

I see on the 36RE and the 36RL that the washer/dryer are on the bedroom slide and the lines as well. It looks like they would have set it up the same way as the 36FB, all else is the same. My king size bed is the only thing on my bedroom slide and it is smaller and lighter.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
Site Team

Welcome to the forum and the Redwood family. A lot of good folks here that are always willing to help. Enjoy the new coach.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #8

Welcome, we have a 12 36RL. I mounted a towel rack on the left hand wall above the sink for a hand towel. Just make sure the screws aren't too long so they interfere with the sliding door. The bath towels we just hang over the shower. As to the basement, I don't have a problem with things sliding around, but you could get some of the cheap black floor runner from Home Depot or similar place and put it down.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
Site Team

We do use some cheap floor runner in the basement to keep things from moving around.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #10

Towels - We have a 36FB. Got a towel ring and towel bar from Home Depot. The ring is mounted on the vanity cabinet. The towel bar is mounted to the bottom of the cabinet that is over the toilet. We also got a couple of Command hooks and attached them with Gorilla Glue (the tape that comes with them didn't hold on the wall covering material). We also got a tension shower curtain rod and put it inside the shower resting on the top edges of the shower enclosure.

We have places to hang towels, bathmats, hand washing and all kinds of stuff in there now. I don't know if any of these will work in your configuration.

JJ
Kev n JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #11

Welcome ! And I've not even gotten mine yet but we too got a few items from target to organize in the shower for our current 5th ...
like the curtain rod that we ran up high in the shower so towels would drip dry in there.
Also, the wife found two bronze shower caddies that suction cup to the shower wall and hold shampoo, soap, razor, etc for each of us....

So far has traveled very'well !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #12

We went to Home Depot and purchased a hand towel ring and hooks for washcloths and glued them to the outside/inside of the shower glass (install so the fittings cover the mounting plates and hide the glue/mounting plates and make sure you use an epoxy glue). As soon as my wife picks out a towel rack we will install two of them on the shower door using the same method. We have also installed a magnetic knife rack above the range top which we glued to the wall. We have traveled approximately 30K miles and all of our installations are still in place and working well
Old 07-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #13

JJ mentioned the command hooks. Besides using the tape to hang the hooks, we use it for other things also. We have a soap, shampoo and conditioner dispenser in the shower that we have stuck to the side of the shower wall with the tape. Been there for over a year. I've used them to hold levels on the outside of the camper, wall thermometer, and numerous other things. The wall covering in the Redwood makes it a little difficult to get them to stick, but I've found that if you stick the tape to the wall and let it set for at least a day before putting whatever you want it to hold on it, it usually will hold. The thing I like about them is you can take them off without leaving any sign that they were there.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #14

Thanks again for the replies!

I should have looked at the mirror mounting on the outside wall of the pocket door, the screws they used go into the wall a half inch, so the inside wall of the pocket door should be the same. Enough grip for a towel ring.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #15

So far, I have two brushed nickel command hooks on the door for towels, and one on the wall for a hand towel, and they are still there.

I am going to have to raise our door a bit to get over a rug we put in the bathroom.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote