Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2015, 06:45 AM   #1

New Redwood 38 GK owner hello to all.

Just purchased a new 38 GK. Very beautiful coach. Love it so far.

Mark
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the Redwood world !! May you have many great trips and memories with it. Never hesitate to ask any question, the depth and wealth of knowledge on this board is amazing.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:28 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
welcome to the group
Old 05-08-2015, 01:28 PM   #4
Site Team

Congratulations on joining the Redwood group. Enjoy and if you have questions the forum is a great place to get help.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #5

Welcome to the family. I also have a 38gk . Unit is close to two years old. No problems with it over all, except with air flow which this group helped me resolve yesterday. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Happy travels. Tom
Old 05-08-2015, 05:04 PM   #6

Welcome to the RW family! We just bought our 38RL in February. Love it, too. This forum is an amazing wealth of knowledge, chiseled from experience. As I see it, we're going to need it! LOL!

Kent & Mindy
Isabelle & Elliebelle Miniature Schnauzers
2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2015 RW 38RL
4happyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingmitchells View Post
Welcome to the family. I also have a 38gk . Unit is close to two years old. No problems with it over all, except with air flow which this group helped me resolve yesterday. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Happy travels. Tom
Talk to me about airflow. That is the one concern I had while looking at it. The salesmen assured me they had no issues so far. But being a former AC repair man i didnt like the design. Help me out with the thread link.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:50 AM   #8

Mark,
Welcome to the club. We love our 38GK. Lots of room, and just fits us. Just got back from a week long road trip and all we could talk about was where we will go next.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:53 PM   #9

Welcome from the Hardins out in Colorado. We have lived full time in our 38 GK for about a year. Love the camper and did well through the winter. Hope you enjoy many trips in yours.
jhardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:55 PM   #10

Welcome, 38gk owner as well....

One thing about the air flow I learned...
for a quick cool, open the 'dump louvers'
then close them as it cools off for the distributed ducted air. Click the pic below to blow up (may NOT be the same panel, but u get the idea)

(Since the ceiling is so high in the 38gk, I use the 'custom' made 1 x 2 I made to hold the pantry drawers from pushing the door open to reach it!)

(and expect the plenums to not be connected )

good luck ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (99.6 KB, 21 views)
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post

then close them as it cools off for the distributed ducted air. Click the pic below to blow up (may NOT be the same panel, but u get the idea)

(Since the ceiling is so high in the 38gk, I use the 'custom' made 1 x 2 I made to hold the pantry drawers from pushing the door open to reach it!)

good luck ...
Did Redwood go away from the quite air and back to the "dump" like shown in post?
Old 05-10-2015, 09:31 PM   #12

it's the best of both worlds in ours... close the vents and it's distributed air through the vents...
Old 05-13-2015, 04:04 AM   #13

Welcome to the RW family, sounds like you are really pleased with your new RW. Hope the forum will be of help to you as you get acquainted with your new RV. Hope you will plan on attending the 2015 Rally.
Trip and Kay Mabry
Old 05-13-2015, 05:12 AM   #14

Airflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post

good luck ...

Hmmm I don't have anything that looks like that in my AC system.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #15

We had the "Quick Dump" feature on both of the A/C units on our last SOB 5th Wheel but we have nothing like that on our Redwood.
I will have to say, with the mods I made to our A/C system, it cools pretty quick upon arrival and setup at a CG.
We arrived in Lake Worth FL mid afternoon yesterday and it was 92 degrees inside the coach, within 30 minutes or so we had the inside temp down to 78 degrees.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:43 AM   #16

Sorry, didn't have an exact picture of the inside ceiling unit from the RW, that pics just an example

I liked the feature in that when we first got setup I would open the louvers and cool the air INSIDE the coach first and not cool the ducting and roof line before the air inside

have had something similar on 3 different rv's so thought it was pretty standard to have louvers on the inside ceiling unit...

Apologies if I misled you. maybe someone else has a better pic of the redwood inside unit on the Airxcel...
Old 05-13-2015, 12:06 PM   #17

Welcome. We love ours. Have lived fulltime for seven months. After the shake out we love it. Just went thru bad storms in Texas and she held her ground. Hope you enjoy your new home.
Hairfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:18 PM   #18

Johnnyboy, seriously they don't use that anymore. The return air is ducted as well as the supply air. There is nothing close to what you show in your picture on a Redwood.

The Redwood return air inlets are distributed down both sides near the outer walls. The only thing they have is a filter, not adjustments whatsoever.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:19 PM   #19

AC airflow/return

Being a former AC man, I was concerned with the design of the front air t-stat. Normally you place your return close to the t-stat location. The returns on my RW is at the rear of the living room. T-Stats are up in the front of the kitchen and one up in the bedroom. I will know in a about another month. Louisiana heat will but it to the test! LOL
Old 05-13-2015, 09:48 PM   #20

Will get a pic tonight as mine's at the storage lot and
haven't been in it since we got the new rv.