Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
Site Team

We just found the Redwood forum this week. We are new owners of a 2012 RW36RL.

After 3 1/2 years of research,we thoughtwe would go the way of a semi-custom coach from another manufacturer. But, the past two years, the price kept going up faster than our budget could handle, so, we had to make the decision that it just was not going to work work for us. We have been pop-up campers for over 30 years and moving up to a 5th wheel was no small decision. I did a factory tour where the production coaches were built for the semi-custom units and frankly was not all that impressed. As a Electronics Technician andElectrical Engineer, I have some knowledge of manufacturing facilities. I also built my own house over 30 years ago and know something of quality construction techniques.

InJune 2011, my wife and I visited Tiara RV Sales in Elkhart, IN for the purpose of looking at some Cameo models built by Carriage. The Cameo's were nice units but none of them really impressed my wife and I as much as we had hoped for. While at the dealer, we also noticed two Redwood models and asked to walk through them. We were both very impressed. On the way home from the dealer, my wife was looking through the literature and pointed out the the 36RL floorplan as being very nice. The following week I requested a plant tour be set up for us which we did and that sealed the deal for me. We were able to view 10 to 12 coaches in various stages of construction including the 36RL modeland was very impressed with the quality of workmanship. Themanufacturing plant was very clean and well organized.Most of my questions were answered to my satisfaction.

We returned to the dealer on July 8, 2011to place an order. We took delivery on September 12. The first week of October, we went on first outing to Cadillac, Michigan to view the fall colors.

While were traveling, we had several very nice compliments on the Redwood..........at Camping World in Grand Rapids, MI.........at the campground where we stayed..........at a rest stop and even while were parked in Meijer's parking lot someone came up to us to compliment how nice the "rig" looked.

Relative to our new coach, I have had a lot of new things to learn........remember we are new this 5th wheel thing. The only issue that I have run into was related to the automatic leveling system. It worked great for the first seven times that I used it. But, after returning home and when I was getting ready to put the coach away for the winter, I tried to power up the leveling control to raise the coach to hook up to my truck and the control would not power up. Strange......it had worked when I last used it to level the coach. So, I checked all of the DC fuses and AC circuit breakers that I knew about and all were okay. So,it was time for a call to the dealership's service manager. Long story short here, Ifinally started following all of the cables for the leveling control system and discovered an in line 10 Amp DC fuse that was blown. It was tucked behing the cables and you could see it, but, I was able to find it by feel while runing my hands along the cables. So, I now know that I need to learn how to operate the hydraulic pump manually in case I ever run into a situation more serious than a blown fuse.

I know this has been a long story. We love our Redwood so far and are looking forward to some extended vacation time next summer after we retire.

hoosierguy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #2

Congratulations on the purchase of your Redwood. Like you we also have done the plant tour and we were very impressed with Redwood.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #3

<DIV =PMmsg>

Hi<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><?: PREFIX = O /><O:P></O:P>
I just became a new member. My wife and I just bought a 2012 Redwood RL in December from a dealer in Richmond. We have not gone camping yet, but have stayed in it about 5 nights. So far have not found any problems.<O:P></O:P>
The dealer had a nice older man go over the unit with us. He was very good overall, be this dealer has only sold a few of these units. I had a friend with us when we went to pick the unit up. We had a list of things to go over. Most of the questions he was able to answer. One he had a tec come out and help us answer. Ipull will be getting his unit ( Redwood RE) in Feburary. I hope to go with him to pick up his unit. We have gone over my unit and now know what to look for in his.His wife has named your units Redwood 1 and Redwood 2. We try to go camping as a group. Sometimes as many as 15 capmers.

This will make the number 6 5th wheel I have owned. We have been camping for about 10 years.

One question I have is about spraying to jacks legs. The dealer did not say anthing about this.<O:P></O:P>
Thanks for any help.<O:P></O:P>H2oman

h2oman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #4

The dealer where I purchased my 36RE told me that I should spray a silicon lubricant onto a clean rag and wipe down the leveling legs periodically and anytime I have them down for more than several days.

If you go the to the website forLippert Components (see the email link below), they say the following:

PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE PROCEDURES
1. Remove dirt and road debris from jacks (and stabilizer struts if equipped) as needed.
2. If jacks are down for extended periods, it is recommended to spray exposed leveling jack tubes
with a spray lubricant every 3 months for protection. If your coach is located in a salty
environment, it is recommended to spray the rods every month.

http://www.lci1.com/images/Flyers/Owners_Manuals/Leveling/om-GroundControl-6-pointWeb.pdf
Old 04-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #5

Can you sent a picture of the fuse location.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #6

Herb, if you're having a problem with at fuse, there is a fix to stop blowing the fuse. It involves disconnecting the power lead from it's present location and connecting directly to the lower power buss.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifRaff
Can you sent a picture of the fuse location.

I posted a detailed explanation of how to find the fuse early in 2012.

Briefly, on my 2012 36RL which was built in July to August 2011, there is a bundle of electrical wires coming down over the hydraulic pump area. The 10 Amp inline fuse holder wasbehind that bundle of wires and was not visible from the front. I found it by running my hand down the bundle of wires.

I have read on the forum that Redwood implemented a fix for the issue around the middle of 2012 by changing to a resettable fuse or re-wiring changes for the hydraulic pump.

Hope this helps.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote