Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2015, 12:13 PM   #1

Hey all. We are Bubba and Kelly. We currently live in a 2013 Landmark San Antonia. 37 days until we pick up our 2016 39MB with the butler pantry. We are very excited. We started full timing in August 2014. We spent 7 months working in Maryland and are now in Atlanta. Just outside Denver, CO is our home base, but we don't see much of that. We make homebrewed beer in our 5'er and have a great time living in this lifestyle. After we finish our commitment here we plan on taking a year off to just roam around a see new things. I am enjoying reading through the forums to find out other opinions on different things. Thanks for letting s be a part of the group.
BubbaLove1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:23 PM   #2

Welcome, y'all! As you have read, there is a wealth of info here - use it as a reference to check things out during your PDI. Good luck with your new RW, you'll love it. That homebrew sounds great!

Kent & Mindy
Isabelle & Elliebelle Miniature Schnauzers
2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2015 RW 38RL
4happyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 03:00 PM   #3

Congratulations on that new rig!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 03:24 PM   #4

Welcome! You can count on your new "Redwood Family" to be here for you and answer your questions!

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 03:47 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Congrats on your new rig. You are going to love it. Welcome to the group. There is a great group here and years of knowledge to draw from.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:07 PM   #6

Considering a new 39MB15

Tomorrow we are heading to look at a new Redwood 39MB15. We have looked at many brochures and we have spent a little time here on the owners forum, a little confused. There are always complaints and many times you don't hear from those who are very satisfied.
We are considering going full time in a year or so and want to purchase the right unit this time. This will be our third fiver and hope to own this one for many years.
I thank those of you who will reply in advance.
Alwaysawehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:17 PM   #7

Looking to buy 39Mb15

Looks my to purchase a new redwood 39MB this week.
Love to hear what we should or should not purchase this unit.
Retired and looking to go full time soon
Thanks in advance
Old 08-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #8

Welcome to the forum Alwaysawehr!

Bottom line: I would buy a Redwood again if I was in the market for a fiver. We have owned ours about 15 months, are fulltime, including through a pretty cold winter here in the Pacific Northwest. NO COMPLAINTS AT ALL! Our experience with Redwood's warranty practices has been extremely positive.

NOW: I will qualify that with a little reality. We have not experienced the type of problem (yet) that some people are allegedly having warranty trouble with, so I cannot comment on that. Many of the negative comments on these issues are more about Lippert products (which are your Redwood's build) and this is, again, being said to trickle down to warranty claims being denied in certain situations. There are others who have experienced this first hand, and they can comment on this. We have not had this problem.

If we were to buy again, I would ABSOLUTELY beef up the suspension. There just isn't much wiggle room in your weight allowance in the standard configuration, and as a fulltimer, it is unreasonable to think that you will be able to load your Redwood appropriately, have much in your tanks, and be safe/legal. That is just a fact. We wish we had more muscle in that department. BUT, we knew when we bought it that it was what it was. Just be warned that you may have remorse if you don't upgrade that. It is our one real regret.

WE LOVE our 38RL!! LOVE. Don't regret buying it for ONE NANOSECOND! We still get compliments on it everywhere we go and sometimes we still pinch ourselves because it is so well suited to fulltime living.

I think they are as good or better than any others, even with the "bumps in the road". As you hear over and over: That is the RV industry. ALL companies have growing pains, and Redwood is no different, but I believe they intend to GROW, not cut and run. These are great coaches.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Old 08-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #9

Redwood makes a nice looking rig with many features. They are put together better than most. As you have had a few 5th wheels in your time, you know they all need continuous attention. Trying to take to the Dealer for every lose screw will drive you crazy.

What I don't like - they are just a little too intimate with Lippert (LCI) - that is what the Falcon system is - 100% Lippert. You may have your own opinions of LCI from your prior 5ers. I also don't like that some people have claimed they have to fight to get warranty, sometimes all way to the GM. I don't like Westlake tires, and I don't like that although I use mine 4 weeks a year, I'm already having to replace shackles and wet bolts, on my dime this time. At this point, I would not buy another.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:20 PM   #10

oh oh, you are going to have the PR gals after you for that one.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:28 PM   #11

Well, this forum is supposed to be for OWNERS not for Redwood's marketing agenda, and there are many times when those two cannot have the same mission. To Redwood, I would offer: If the truth hurts, change the truth. I am GLAD to see all of the different opinions, that's how I know this is not a "bought" forum (well, that's a whole OTHER topic). People should express themselves honestly, or what good is any of it? People are perfectly able to decipher a hater or a lunatic... it's easy to tell, most of us are not idiots, I think I can safely say. The other comment I would make is, nobody is WRONG when they express their opinion, obviously. I, for one, welcome the discussion and the debates. This is how we discover what each of us is looking for, which varies from person to person.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:39 PM   #12

RomanylifeI am really close to becoming a owner, and sorry for intruding on you as a owner when I am not yet a owner!!
How should u find out about the quality of a redwood if I don't ask those who own one.
Anyway I value your opinion, and appreciate your perspective.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:45 PM   #13

Haha Alwaysawehr;
Sorry you took my comment the wrong way! I was replying to the previous comment about "Redwoods marketing department". Nothing to do with you!! I did the same thing before I bought my Redwood. This forum actually helped make my decision, because there are some other nice brands out there for sure.

You absolutely should be reading this forum before you decide! AND you should ask any questions you may have as well.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:46 PM   #14

Thanks for your comments. New here and just trying to make informed high dollar decisions.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysawehr View Post
RomanylifeI am really close to becoming a owner, and sorry for intruding on you as a owner when I am not yet a owner!!
How should u find out about the quality of a redwood if I don't ask those who own one.
Anyway I value your opinion, and appreciate your perspective.
I am a new RW owner , and just graded my trailer after the first trip , you can see my other thread ... Overall , by asking owners your questions is the only way you will get the Info needed to make an educated purchase.. But be prepared to sift threw some info that may or may not be 100 % accurate , that's for you to look into further.. Opinions are like arses... Every ones got one and some are better than others !
The sky is NOT falling..... Ask away , if you don't mind sorting threw info....
I am 100% thrilled after my first trip..... That's all I can say
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:51 PM   #16

Ok here I go with another question:If the GVRW OF A 39MB IS 16,500 lbs, how can they send out a new unit with 2- 7,000 lb axles??
Is that going to lead to trouble as we travel?
The unit has only 7,000 lb axles. Reason to pass on this one?!
Old 08-09-2015, 08:54 PM   #17

Fellow FTGWhen u mentioned u upgraded your unit can u share what the upgrade was?
Old 08-09-2015, 08:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Ok here I go with another question:If the GVRW OF A 39MB IS 16,500 lbs, how can they send out a new unit with 2- 7,000 lb axles??
Is that going to lead to trouble as we travel?
The unit has only 7,000 lb axles. Reason to pass on this one?!
If your going to go full time , I suggest getting the option of the 8K axles.. Just remember that IF the trailer weighs in at 16,500# , it will probably have 3000# or more of pin weight making the axle weights 13,500# (6750# each). For the weekend warrior , that's ok , but for fulltiming it's not a lot of room...
Old 08-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Fellow FTGWhen u mentioned u upgraded your unit can u share what the upgrade was?
Not sure I am following ?? I graded my unit ( report card ) if that's what your talking about...??
Old 08-09-2015, 09:05 PM   #20

Sorry I was wondering if you had to upgrade your axles. You answered my question And thanks.