Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2015, 12:40 AM   #1

New 38RL

We are hopefully the new , proud owners of a 2016 38RL... What are some of the things I need to watch for?? Been RV'ing for close to 30 years , and in a 40' fifth wheel now... What's Redwood specific I should look for?

Joe
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:32 AM   #2

Congratulations on your <hopefully> purchase! We have been fulltiming in our 2015 38RL for just over a year and could not be happier. You will find the Redwood family a welcoming, helpful bunch and we have a lot of extremely helpful, knowledgeable folks on these forums to help you and answer your questions! Welcome to the family!

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:37 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Welcome
This is a great group of very helpful people
We have been full time in ours for 9 myths and are happy with it.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:43 AM   #4

Thanks to the 2 of you... Has there been any issues that seem to be widespread with the Redwoods.? I have been reading but not finding a ton...
Old 07-01-2015, 01:53 AM   #5

How about the ride height? When I got into my present fiver ( 2008 Montego Bay) it was really nose high! I had to do a lot of work , and ended up building a subframe..I am pulling it with a stock 2015 f-350 4x4 short box with the 6.7..the weights on paper are almost identical between the new and the old , with that said , I am under on all my weights now.. Some closer than others :-) ..but under
Old 07-01-2015, 03:45 AM   #6
Site Team

Watch your suspension closely. Make sure all the bolts stay tight and don't forget to put few pumps of grease in the hubs every couple thousand miles but don't over do it. Regular maintenance and a watchful eye will make your new baby last a long time.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:57 AM   #7

Unless they have changed grease seal suppliers, DO NOT PUMP GREASE IN THE HUBS, after about 1-2k miles you may want to pull one & check to be sure brakes aren't contaminated with grease. Check shower door caulking, be sure vac bag in place, & water filter in housing. All these items have been occuring since day one.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Watch your suspension closely. Make sure all the bolts stay tight and don't forget to put few pumps of grease in the hubs every couple thousand miles but don't over do it. Regular maintenance and a watchful eye will make your new baby last a long time.
Thanks Dave,,No stranger to grease fittings !! Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-01-2015, 12:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Unless they have changed grease seal suppliers, DO NOT PUMP GREASE IN THE HUBS, after about 1-2k miles you may want to pull one & check to be sure brakes aren't contaminated with grease. Check shower door caulking, be sure vac bag in place, & water filter in housing. All these items have been occuring since day one.
I had the same issue with my Montego Bay , the shower door caulk was skimped , and it took me some time to figure out why the floor was moist after showering.. The vac bag and water filter are something I would just assume is good , glad you told me..
Old 07-01-2015, 12:53 PM   #10
Site Team

With an RL, make sure you weigh the rig and especially check truck rear axle weight. The RL is pin heavy and even more so with a lot of water in the fresh tank or a generator or W/D. When I had my SRW, I was 250 lbs over what the tires were rated for with no water or gen. Just a caution, last thing you want to do is blow a rear tire on a SRW. Don't go by book weights.

That was why someone in Nebraska got a very nice 8 month old SRW F350 .........
Old 07-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
With an RL, make sure you weigh the rig and especially check truck rear axle weight. The RL is pin heavy and even more so with a lot of water in the fresh tank or a generator or W/D. When I had my SRW, I was 250 lbs over what the tires were rated for with no water or gen. Just a caution, last thing you want to do is blow a rear tire on a SRW. Don't go by book weights.

That was why someone in Nebraska got a very nice 8 month old SRW F350 .........
Thanks Piper Guy ,

We only dry camp twice a year at the Richmond Nascar Weekend.. and when we do , we get the water for $40.00 once set up on the spot.. and I use 2 Honda eu2000's those 2 weekends , so the extra weight wont be there.. My trailer now is running around 3200# give or take depending on the trip , pin and my last weigh in I was good on my weights , including the tires...
Old 07-01-2015, 04:18 PM   #12

We have had good luck with our 38RL only Minor Issues since new. Few things that you will want to add before you start towing. Make sure you Fridge if you have the residential Fridge. The blocks that keep it from tipping have been know to be missing. you will want to make some type of lock for the pantry slide drawers. I put a piece of wood in the frame with some Velcro that keeps the drawers from hitting the door in travel. But we love or RW so far only minor issues.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJSIM2003 View Post
We have had good luck with our 38RL only Minor Issues since new. Few things that you will want to add before you start towing. Make sure you Fridge if you have the residential Fridge. The blocks that keep it from tipping have been know to be missing. you will want to make some type of lock for the pantry slide drawers. I put a piece of wood in the frame with some Velcro that keeps the drawers from hitting the door in travel. But we love or RW so far only minor issues.
Thanks , It will /does have the residential fridge , missing blocks ?? Will I be looking behind the fridge , below the fridge ??
Old 07-01-2015, 04:48 PM   #14

Sorry the blocks are on top of the fridge so it cannot tip forward. They go between the top cabinet and the fridge lock it into place
Old 07-01-2015, 04:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJSIM2003 View Post
Sorry the blocks are on top of the fridge so it cannot tip forward. They go between the top cabinet and the fridge lock it into place
AHHHH.... that make perfect sense.!! Thanks for that tip ..
Old 07-02-2015, 01:04 PM   #16

Congratulations and welcome. Two other common issues - something with the bolts in the awning and the AC vents. Vaughan - can you elaborate? (Sorry, I defer to the DH on most mechanical issues, but I still get to hear about them.)
Piper Guy's Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:04 PM   #17
Site Team

Awning - back out one of the screws holding the awning on and see if it is in fact lag bolts. If it's just a sheet metal or wood screw, go out and get 1/4 lag screws per the install manual from Carefree.

You can improve the airflow measurably by taking out the registers in the ceiling, measuring how long they actually need to be to get into the duct and then cutting off the excess. I found mine sticking way up into the duct to the point that there was only about 1/2-3/4 of an inch of space above the collar.

Noticeably better airflow after the mod.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:35 PM   #18

Vaughan and Tracy:
Do you know what model Carefree Awning RW is using?
2015 38RL with MORryde IS, residential fridge, DW, washer and dryer, generator, and slide in slide. 2 A/C, 1 HP and a fireplace. Added 17.5 inch wheels. Follows a 2013 Ram dually diesel with 8' bed and Reese 20K.
RW Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:51 PM   #19

Redwood uses the TRAVEL'R
Old 07-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #20

Here it is,,!! the trailer hit the dealers lot Friday , we go Saturday to pick it up but I am not so sure I can wait !!!