Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #1

Its been a long day but finally got the new Redwood to the house. Enjoying so far but came in minus a few options, hitch place installed wrong hitch, and walk through was really bad. One the good notes excellent price, excellent salesman, and great product. My only question is to all the slider hitches seem to have that much slack and popping noise?
pipeliner798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #2

what wasnt on that you expected. Is there anything on the inspection I should look out for?
Old 08-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #3

Pipeliner, if you got the Reese slider, they do bang a bunch
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #4

Add Firestone Ride Rites airbads to your truck. Will eliminate much of that. Also recommed the onboard compressor.Edited by: Adamsvr
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #5

Yep it was a Reese, guy didn't know much and wanted to be done in 1.5 hours, this is my first Rv.I learned much more watching you rube videos and that's no lie. It was bad but after he left my salesman went back out with me again. Dang good guy, not to mention 20 thousand dollars for exact same options n trailer where I also got quote at. Also they gave me two deep cycle batteries.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #6

On board compressor?
Old 08-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #7

I installed a set of Timbren SES bumpers on my buddys Chevy dually and he said that it made a great ammount of difference in the ride. So I ordered a set for mine. sitting in the back seat waiting to be installed when I get to Florida. Took all of 20 minutes to remove old and install new ones.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #8

I got the led in awning but left off the awning guard
Old 08-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #9

The on board compressor allows you to set your airbags to whatever pressure you need and then reduce it to so you can unhook and make a smooth ride. It's controlled by a remote.

Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipeliner798
I got the led in awning but left off the awning guard
Was it not compatible or did you just decide not to use the unigard?
Old 08-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #11

I wanted it , it was on order paperwork but didn't come.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #12

Question, regarding your coach delivery and missing options. We are about a month away from our 38FL rolling off the assembly line. Your story of missing options is not the first I have read on this site. Do you attribute the missing options to your dealer not completing or staying on top of the order process or is it the factory missing items on the build sheet? My dealer is some 7hrs from my home and I want to be sure everything we ordered is on the coach before driving 7hrs to take delivery of a unit that isn't complete. If you had to do this again, would you or could you of avoid some of the issues.

Please Advise

Darrell
JellyStonePark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #13

I would contact the dealer again and have them verify the order specs. He can send you the factory options to verify. I wouldn't say this was the dealer fault or factory fault hard to point the finger without all the facts. Just glad it was an option I could live without. Of course I was the one that caught the missing guard. But they made it right so I am still very happy. I keep hearing some getting just one transport battery and I got two deep cycle that helped
Old 08-24-2013, 04:45 AM   #14

When we ordered our 38gk, the salesmen (actually sales manager who we worked with) emailed the exact printed factory order and he sent it again when the vin was assigned ...

So if it's on the order sheet and doesn't arrive with it, it's on the factory -
and, like you, I am concerned by some of the things posted here recently
regarding top 2 execs leaving...
issues with brand new rv's....
doesn't bode well for future sales and my peace of mind with the new rv...

While we'd like the RW sooner than later, we'll take our time with the pdi to ensure everything is there...
we still have a nice 35' trade in so it's not like we'll miss out on rv trips :-}
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:42 AM   #15

Not only did my dealer give me a copy of the order, but when it arrived he took pictures throughout the unit and the outside and emailed them to me. The one option I didn't get was a king bed, and this was obvious in the photos. When I called the dealer after I received the photos he said that he was going to call me as his service manager had spoken with Redwood and they were over-nighting the parts to rebuild the bed. Anything - wall panels, etc. -that might have screw holes was being replaced.

One disappointment was the microwave in the unit is a discontinued model. Not what I expected from Redwood.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo
When we ordered our 38gk, the salesmen (actually sales manager who we worked with) emailed the exact printed factory order and he sent it again when the vin was assigned ...

While we'd like the RW sooner than later, we'll take our time with the pdi to ensure everything is there...
we still have a nice 35' trade in so it's not like we'll miss out on rv trips :-}
I understand your concerns but Redwood still has the best floor plans out there with the GK being one of them. Having the top ( and start-up)guys being shown the door isn't good but it's not the death of the product either.

In my opinion Redwood has 2 main problems and if they fix these it will go real far in producing a better product.

#1 Either eliminate the Quality Control person that has been sleeping on the job or teach a whole bunch of people real fast how to care about their work.

#2 Loose the "Falcon Fit" idea and get better suspension systems or else more options. As in all industries, they have to get the best supplier instead of only using the "Thor" step children.

#3 Buy back some of the older trailers that have been well used and maintained, take them apart and see where they wore the worst. Fix those problem areas on the new trailers and do this all over again in 2 years.

Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 08-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #17

We too were concerned that all of our options were installed, as it was 2 states away. Our Dealer was great and sent us the order sheet to confirm options before it even got there, then they checked when it came in. Everything was exactly as ordered.

We can specify options, but not brands, so my Dealer even sent pics of the unit the day it arrived to make sure it had a Norcold fridge and Goodyear tires.Edited by: atom ant
Old 08-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #18

X2 Brad, my unit came in exactly as ordered. Even the few changes I made after the initial order were included.
On the assembly line, a copy of your order & change orders travel in a folder with your unit & are checked at each "station". This is one part of the order process that Redwood has down pat.

From what I have seen, I would speculate that most every issue with missing options, etc. can be traced back to the dealer omissions or not re-confirming your order with the dealer.Edited by: 5th_Time
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #19
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo

I understand your concerns but Redwood still has the best floor plans out there with the GK being one of them. Having the top ( and start-up)guys being shown the door isn't good but it's not the death of the product either.

In my opinion Redwood has 2 main problems and if they fix these it will go real far in producing a better product.

#1 Either eliminate the Quality Control person that has been sleeping on the job or teach a whole bunch of people real fast how to care about their work.

#2 Loose the "Falcon Fit" idea and get better suspension systems or else more options. As in all industries, they have to get the best supplier instead of only using the "Thor" step children.

#3 Buy back some of the older trailers that have been well used and maintained, take them apart and see where they wore the worst. Fix those problem areas on the new trailers and do this all over again in 2 years.

Dave

I do agree with 1, 2 and 3 I am beginning to wonder if the top 2 got canned due to the poor quality control? It must be costing Redwood a sh*t load of money doing all these warranty repairs. They have 2 choices either fix the the quality control or start denying some of the warranty repairs in order to cut some of these costs. I hope its not the later

Dan

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #20

I don't know if Redwoods quality control is any different than many of the others. In 2002 we bought a Montana Big Sky, in 2006 a Carriage Carri-lite, our Redwood in 2012. We have actually had fewer problems with the Redwood than the other two. I think they all have problems. Anything except structural is really the problem of the component manufacturer and not directly related to Redwood. I think one of the problems with them all is that the pencil pushers and money counters are interested in the bottom line. Their push is to get the product out so the workers are forced to put more into quantity than quality.