Old 06-16-2015, 07:06 PM   #1

Just Purchased 38FL

Hello all. I'm another one that wasn't looking to purchase for a few more months. Been looking for awhile. The 38FL is a bit larger than I'd been looking but the wife liked it and that's all it took. The plan was purchase now, hey it payed off before retirement. With that being said it won't get used as a full time for a few years. I'm planning on building a garage to store it in. Any pointers as to what to do for maintenance during this time would be appreciated. It's first trip may be the rally in August. Anyone in Missouri going? And last I see allot of discussion on tow vehicles. I've got a 2013 GMC 4x4 2500HD with the duramax. The 38 doesn't exceed either tow or hitch. Does anyone here have the same? Well this was more than I type in a year. Thanks and looking forward to meeting some fellow owners. P.S. I'm retired Navy, any ship mates here. Thanks again. Alan & Christene
Moland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:14 PM   #2

I forgot to say that this is my first 5th wheel and according to the wife or only one. Had been a tent in the past.
Moland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:21 PM   #3

Welcome Alan and Christene! Congratulations on your new RW!! You will be glad to know that you have a lot of friends and helpful souls here. LOTS of expertise and experience. My advice would be if you have a question, use the "Search" function of the forum first, because someone probably already asked it and it got answered and you will get your answer that much quicker!

It's a BIGGG coach, but it pulls beautifully. Just gotta get used to the length of it (and the height) It's definitely more effort than hauling a tent, I can assure you that, but it has it's rewards!

Good luck and enjoy!

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2014 RAM 3500 DRW: EGR delete, airbags and Ranchos.
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:30 PM   #4

Congrats on your new RW. I would be little worried about towing with that 2500 most of us have found that 3500 /350 DRW works much better they are heavy rigs.

Wishing you many safe travels.

2015 RL38
2018 FORD F350 SRW
RWJSIM2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:00 PM   #5

Congrats on that new rig!

When you say doesn't exceed hitch, do you mean brochure printed hitch or did you weigh it? I think the FL is lighter on the nose than the rest...I think.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:11 PM   #6

Welcome and Congrats...when I look out in the lower driveway at ours I'm amazed at how beautiful it is and how much of the driveway it takes up lol.!!!!! I'm sure your going to love it. RW's are gorgeous.(especially the FL's just saying )

Char

2014 Redwood 36FL and 2015 GMC Denali 3500 DW Duramax
Char & Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:10 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Congrats on the new purchase. I have a 36rl and pulled it with a 2500 HD and the a 3500 HD swr. They both had no problem pulling or stopping and probably would have been fine. My problem was like drinking and driving, someone runs a stop sign and causes an accident and you are hooped if drunk or overloaded. These trailers are heavy and in crosswinds they will throw your single axle around. If you are just using it as weekend warrior until you decide to travel with it and are careful your truck will work. Seriously consider a 3500 dually to haul it
Old 06-16-2015, 11:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
These trailers are heavy and in crosswinds they will throw your single axle around. If you are just using it as weekend warrior until you decide to travel with it and are careful your truck will work. Seriously consider a 3500 dually to haul it
...and rail road crossings, and bridge expansion joints, and many other unanticipated road "hazards". She's lovely, but she WILL take you for a scary ride if your truck isn't beefy enough

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2014 RAM 3500 DRW: EGR delete, airbags and Ranchos.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:59 PM   #9

"Whoop-de-doos" as I recall (as I was rolling around on the floor laughing)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:19 AM   #10

LOL yes I think I have heard that term a time or two! And they definitely sound like more fun than they are!!