Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2015, 04:42 PM   #1

Smile Hello to ALL

Today is my first day on this site as a communicator. I have been reading posts for a while. My name is Tom, wife's name is Donna. We have been RVing for 25+ years and full timing for 6+ years. We own a 2013 RW 38GK (purchased in 13) towed by a 2014 Ram 3500 dually with the Cummings HO and Aisen transmission. This truck is the first non GM product I've had and have fallen in love with it. The RW has not traveled as much as our last unit, however still has a place in heart as home. I do have a question though, is there anyone who experienced air flow problems with their air conditioners, and if so, what did you find and how did you resolve it? Look forward to being a participating member. Tom
Old 05-06-2015, 05:44 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Tom and welcome to posting !
A couple of things you might check ~ a number of us have found that the vents in the ceiling have a collar that is high enough that it partially blocks the ductwork. While you're in there, also check the forward duct work in the bedroom to see if the factory closed it off.

The fix for this is to pop the vents off (take a thin hard plastic scraper and pry off the outer ring and then the vent is held in by 4 screws). Then measure and see how much of the collar you can cut off with a hacksaw. I did this to mine this year and it improved the flow tremendously. I also took a piece of 2" foam and closed the bedroom ductwork just past the vents.

The other thing that has been found is that the return air and forced air in the plenum in the AC units can be mixing. The ductwork seal didn't hold separating the two. This gets more involved as you have to go on the roof and pull the forward part of the AC off to get to it. If you search, there should be athread on this as I remember pictures being posted.

HTH, Vaughan
Old 05-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #3

Piper Guy, Thanks for the welcome. We have checked the air and return boxes and did minor repairs to both. We have just started to play with the air dams on the vents by notching them or just removing them. Not much luck so far, however, will try cutting them a little bit shorter to see if that helps. Air flow seems to be to the sides of the ducts instead of presurized. Will post resolution if found. Thanks again Tom
Old 05-06-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
Site Team

You might want to call out to the Service Center and ask Randy to call you with ideas when he has a chance (he's the Foreman and never stops moving LOL A great guy)
Try 260-593-3850. You may have to leave a message for him but he'll call you soon as he can.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:09 PM   #5

Thank you again. Will be trying a couple more things. Just got off the phone with tec. Thankd Tom
Old 05-07-2015, 12:15 AM   #6
Site Team

Tom and Donna, welcome to the forum. I have not had any problems with my AC so can't add to Vaughn's answer.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:44 AM   #7

Blenhardt, thanks for the welcome. I have a few this to look st and tty. Hopefully we will find it. I think with some diligence we will. Tom
roamingmitchells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:43 AM   #8

We had problems with our A/C
I cut down the air duct collars and that improved air flow but did not help the cooling.
I removed the top of the A/C units and found both units had the foam filler between the intake and supply chamber had been sucked into the intake chamber. This caused the air to just go around in a circle and blow a lot of the cold air right back into the intake.
Put the foam back in the divider and taped / sealed the foam in place.
Big difference in cooling, we are good now.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:47 AM   #9

Hello Tom and Donna. Welcome to the Redwood family. Hopefully you get to enjoy yours as much as we do ours. We haven't had A/C problems so we can't help you with that.

Chris & Maria
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #10
Site Team

Rob, did you happen to take any pictures of what has to be removed to gain access to the intake ?
Old 05-08-2015, 02:01 AM   #11

Remove the plastic shroud, then remove the top cover of the front housing, this will expose the intake plenum chamber.

Once the cover is removed, you will see the intake plenum and cooling coils, the foam strip separates the intake and supply chambers.

The foam strip sticking up in the picture should be in the space below the yellow label in the picture.

17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:12 AM   #12

To All, thank you for all the suggestions. I figured out a solution. The problem was that my four middle vents did not have air coming out of them when one air conditioner was running. When both ran two of the vents would have some air. Upon more investigation I figured out that the the major air flow in the ducts were to the right side on the right duct and the left side on the left duct. My vents were installed on the opposite site of the ducts. So the air was passing by the vents. I trimmed about a third of the vent rings about a 1/2" shorter and made sure this notch was pointed toward the air flow side of the duct. This produced a little air but still not what it should be. So I cut two spare rings in half. I took the halves and placed them in the duct between the rear air conditioner and the first problem air vent, about an inch from the vent, with the cut end of the half ring against the duct wall where the major flow was. (The half ring was just the right height to fit snug in the duct). Now the air flow in the ducts was in the middle to other side of the ducts and sudden great air circulation occurred. I did the same to the vents between the front air conditioner and got the same results. Now I have an even flow of air in all vents. I hope this is good information for others. Again thanks for the suggestions. Tom
Old 05-08-2015, 03:22 PM   #13

Hello all. I have resolved my problem by deverting the air flow in the ducting at the problem vrnts. Wanted to say Thank you all for the suggestions. I had posted the process of resolution, but don't know where it went. Struggling to learn how to use this site. Tom
Old 05-08-2015, 07:47 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingmitchells View Post
Hello all. I have resolved my problem by deverting the air flow in the ducting at the problem vrnts. Wanted to say Thank you all for the suggestions. I had posted the process of resolution, but don't know where it went. Struggling to learn how to use this site. Tom
Tom
It would be great if you have any pics that you could post to help others out
Thanks