Old 07-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #11
Site Team

Dave,

You just gave an excellant reason for having a generator................keeping the coach cool while traveling down the highway. Unfortunately, I don't have the generator option. I was pleasantly surprised that inside temperature was only 91 after driving through 103 temps traveling across Kansas. I fully expected over 100 degrees.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:42 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy
Dave,

You just gave an excellant reason for having a generator................keeping the coach cool while traveling down the highway. Unfortunately, I don't have the generator option. I was pleasantly surprised that inside temperature was only 91 after driving through 103 temps traveling across Kansas. I fully expected over 100 degrees.

Guy
It sounds like you have it figured out already. If your trailer is only 91 after a long drive it shouldn't take too long to cool it down. Once the heat dissipates from the walls, these Redwoods stay pretty cool.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #13

We are full timing in Austin. This is week 4 for us. Although we have had a little trouble getting the ac's regulated, we are pretty cool now. We have learned that keeping the black out shades down helps and we have a small fan in the bedroom at night that seems to work well. Last week we hit 108 and it was HOT! We had the shades down, but not the black out one. Once we put those down as well it seems to stay cool enough. Temps haven't been so bad the last couple of days since it rained, so we will see as the summer progresses.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:31 AM   #14

I had a key fob remote for the generator on my Montana. I would set the A/Cs and then about 2 hours out I would fire up the gen from the cab. The only problem was I had to be in town, otherwise I couldn't hear that quiet genny start.

I may have to put a remote on it again.
atom ant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:44 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW1117
We are full timing in Austin. This is week 4 for us. Although we have had a little trouble getting the ac's regulated, we are pretty cool now. We have learned that keeping the black out shades down helps and we have a small fan in the bedroom at night that seems to work well. Last week we hit 108 and it was HOT! We had the shades down, but not the black out one. Once we put those down as well it seems to stay cool enough. Temps haven't been so bad the last couple of days since it rained, so we will see as the summer progresses.
We like our bedroom dark so we bought some of that bubble shiny insulation from Camping world and put it over the bedroom windows. This keeps both the light and heat out.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:46 AM   #16

Dave, why don't you just pull the shades down?
Old 07-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathog99
Dave, why don't you just pull the shades down?
I do but they don't get the room dark enough because I have to old style of shades.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #18

I bought the Onan Keyfob remote start kit for my factory GenSet. It's called the EC15W (Ebay $236).

Took about an hour to put in. Now I can start my generator remotely from the house to exercise it, and to power house during a power failure - like a winter storm.

I never thought aboutrunning it while towing.Does getting a headstart with the ACs really make that much difference?
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

'12 GMC 3500HD CC 4x4, DRW, DuraMax, Allison, Reese Elite 26.5K, Titan Tank 60 gal.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #19

Been Full Timing it since March in San Antonio TX. Nope problem with keeping it comfortable inside in the heat. And were from the north. Keep the dark shades pulled, open the awning during the day to keep sun off that side helps. and we reversed the ceiling fan and that helped also. Agree with others about the oscillating fans. One for the living room, we have the 36FL and a stand oscillating fan for the bed room. No problem with the ac’s keeping up even while cooking and using the dryer during the day. Dont be afraid.... COME ON DOWN! Nice place to stay in Boerne TX about 15 miles north of San Antonio.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDRPSI
Been Full Timing it since March in San Antonio TX. Nope problem with keeping it comfortable inside in the heat. And were from the north. Keep the dark shades pulled, open the awning during the day to keep sun off that side helps. and we reversed the ceiling fan and that helped also. Agree with others about the oscillating fans. One for the living room, we have the 36FL and a stand oscillating fan for the bed room. No problem with the ac’s keeping up even while cooking and using the dryer during the day. Dont be afraid.... COME ON DOWN! Nice place to stay in Boerne TX about 15 miles north of San Antonio.

Chuck,

What about outside activities.............do you do outside activities in the mornings and stay inside in the afternoons? I have to admit that I haven't been in Texas since I was in the Air Force in 1961 having gone through Lackland AFB there in San Antonio.That was in March and it was quite cool which is more my kind of weather.

We are hoping to visit the River Walk, the Alamo and a few other sites while there.Our current plans are to stay in San Antonio for 3 days, then move on east to Hot Springs, AR for a few days, then working our way back towards Indiana.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote