Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2013, 07:02 AM   #21

Not all, Jere volunteers for the Corps of Engineers (20 hours a week as a receptionist) in which we get lake front camping at Lake Waco, TX. We have been here almost 3 years - we can take off when we want and have the same spot to come back to. I work fulltime at the VA Hospital in Waco. I just did not want to wait for retirement to enjoy the lifestyle.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #22

We will be. Mary Jo retires in May and my last day will be August 31. I am going to be a long distant consultant through 12/31/2015 to guide my current staff through the transition. Early September we hit the road.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift
So, are the folks who are pulling up stakesand selling the kitchen sink all retired?
Retired - you bet, freedom 55 and itis the best job I ever had. Pulled the plug in December and no regrets. We will probably 3/4 time as we also have about 6 weeks of timeshare use per year and usually take a couple of cruises.

We are keeping the primary residence amd have our daughter and son-in-law staying and looking after the house. It is incentive to not stay home too often. We thought it was important to have a home base and somewhere to drop the dogs off when we cruise or go to one of the timeshares.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #24
Site Team

I've found a bunch of folks working remotely in their Rvs as we travel around.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #25

Been 4 years for us we are now in Florida ,last year CA and Arizona 22 months in the redwood.
Go back to our home area for the Summer both our Mothers are still living so we return home.
When we do not need to return to the Niagara Falls area we plan to do a couple of summers in Alaska
And some not her west states
So far so good
Concours12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #26

That's what the Professor and I do. Me, 52 him 57. We want to keep doing what we love and do it full-time in an RV. No roots to keep us in one spot.
TXRVProfessor&LadyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #27

So glad you Americans can move around without a home base unless you want one. Our "free" health care ties us to a primary residence for 181 day a year... so much for full timing in Canada!

Old 02-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPAjax
So glad you Americans can move around without a home base unless you want one. Our "free" health care ties us to a primary residence for 181 day a year... so much for full timing in Canada!

I found a provision in BC Medical that once every 5 years we can apply for an extended absence of up to 2 years without losing coverage. Do you have the same in Ontario?

Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #29

In Ontario, we have to physically present in Ontario for 153 days in any 12 month period and make Ontario our primary residence. We can be out of province for up to 212 consecutive days in any 12 month period and still keep our health care. For extended periods, we must physically be present in Ontario for 153 days in a 12 month period for 5 consecutive yrs before each extended absence.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #30

Wow - that's more restricted than BC, as we are required to be in BC for any 6 months each year. Technically we can leave July 1st and be gone for a year and still meet BC Medical requirements. For extended absences it states we can make an application once every 5 years.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #31

We are in the process of sell our house now. 3 more weeks and we are full timers!!!!!! Our plan is to travel to the jobs that I'll be working at. My wife is going to retire. Had enough of the hotels stays for the last 8 years. So we have been planning this for the last year. Took 8 months to sell our house and now we have 3 weeks to get ride of everything that we have accumulated over the last 30 years. Dig out and load up to head out to the next job. I was told that they would be sending me south but not sure as to where yet. Stuff inside the house is selling fast, just have the things in the garages to sell or get rid of now. Lots of trips to the dump. Waiting for our new toy to come in so we can go play on the weekends on our travels. I'm having a enclosed trailer being built now to haul it, along with a few tools and few other things that we want to take with us. My wife will be towing this behind my work truck following me and the coach.Really looking forward to hitting the road and being together full time again. Looking forward to meeting some of you folks in our travels.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #32
Site Team

Just Curious ~ what do you do ? I'm a lettering and graphics guy, have been for 26 years. Do mostly Fire Trucks and other Emergency vehicles in a seven state area. Been trying to figure out if I could put my equipment in a trailer (but then I'd have to convince Tracy to drive that .......)
Old 02-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperguy
Just Curious ~ what do you do ? I'm a lettering and graphics guy, have been for 26 years. Do mostly Fire Trucks and other Emergency vehicles in a seven state area. Been trying to figure out if I could put my equipment in a trailer (but then I'd have to convince Tracy to drive that .......)

Piper...funny you should ask that question. I'm in the commercial/industrial emergency power business. Recently I was at a fire house and ran into a guy who had just started his own fire equipment service business. I asked him for a tour of his service trailer. He likes a trailer over a service truck because he tells me he can simply drop the trailer at a customer's location at the end of the day and drive home. He says it saves on operating expenses.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #34

Im a Pipefitter. I have been working for a company out of Denver CO. that installs Pneumatic tube systems in hospitals. You know when you go to the drive up window at the banks? Well that is very similar to what I install in hospitals. We have systems for 2" up to 10" with most hospital between the 4" and 6'' range. The bigger pipe is used at air ports out to the tarmac sometimes. I have been on the road traveling for them for the last 8 years staying in hotels and getting home on weekends when I can. Now They have been sending me out even farther. So my wife and I figured that it was time for us to sell the house (we have no kids) and hit the road. I know I have to get close to cities because that is where most hospitals are, so I figure we can always find a campground with in 30 miles of a city to stay. So we hope this will work. We have looked back as to where I have worked in the past and can pull this off with no problem so were hoping the future will be the same. Are thoughts are south in the winter and west and north in the springs summer and falls. I have a enclosed trailer being built right now that will carry a side by side that we will be taking with us to use on weekends and carry a few other things. Like our Honda 6500 generator and tools and things. My wife will drive my work truck with the enclosed trailer in tow following me towing the coach. We are really looking forward to whats ahead but scared at the same time because of the unknow.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #35

Sounds like a great plan. All the best. We're wedded to our home right now, but looking forward to changing that up in the future.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #36

UNDRPSI - Great luck to you on your adventure - you picked the right place to work hospitals! I just drove by 225 and Colfax yesterday and it looks like SimCity! I couldn't even find the wing of the hospital I needed to go to because it changed so much.

I used to be an electrician and I'll save a not so funny story for youabout what I did to those pneumatic tubes at a bank when I blew a main fuse and lost phase on all of those little turbines. It had a lot to do with money stuck in tubes, smoke rolling out into the teller area, and a lot of hopping mad people at the drive up windows.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #37

My wife and I have been fulltiming for about a year and a half now, in our 36RL since March. we love it. I am in construction in the solar field. We still own our home in Coloarado and we have been in NJ for a while now but that job is finishing up. We are looking forward to see where the next job takes us. Nothing like seeing this great country and getting paid for it at the same time.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeguy
My wife and I have been fulltiming for about a year and a half now, in our 36RL since March. we love it. I am in construction in the solar field. We still own our home in Coloarado and we have been in NJ for a while now but that job is finishing up. We are looking forward to see where the next job takes us. Nothing like seeing this great country and getting paid for it at the same time.

We have 2 weeks left in the house. Were hoping that they will send us south for the rest of the winter and then west or north from there. Really looking forward to get started and settled in. We hope to meet up with some of you folks out on our travels.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #39

Based on the weather maps so far this winter DEEP South would be a good idea... Global Warming.... yaa right... Thanks Al!

Old 02-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #40

No global warming in Green Bay Wisconsin. 60+ inches of snow so far this year and more coming next Tuesday. No golf until May the way it is going. It will however be my last winter here