Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #41

I think we had a little different take on some options when we ordered:

G614 tires - now standard on all models
2nd AC - absolutely agree mandatory
12cf fridge - agree because it will run off propane when dry camping as well as draws less power

---
Heat pumps - I think this is a very nice to have. When needed if there is shore power saves propane
ice maker - opt'd out for more freezer space plus turns out draws less power with out ice maker
8k axles - this maybe an option but opt'd out because they (the springs actually) makes the ride rougher and doesn't add to the GVWR
Disk brakes - opt'd for this, thought it would be a safety thing. maybe a waste of $$, don't know
dual pane windows - totally opt'd for this to make it more of a 4 season coach
basement TV - didn't get this, can add later but generally don't watch TV outside
paint - total waste of money, standard paint was pretty nice we thought
tri-glide pin box - got this to help smooth the ride
dishwasher - absolutely necessary, it was get this or I would be doing the dishes
W/D - prefer to have our own W/D rather then fuss w/ a laundry mat
generator - got generator prep. Working on a plan with large battery stack, solar + backup generator in the TV
roof satellite - will get this installed at dealer before we take delivery. Didn't know RW could do that at the factory
second awning - not an option on the 38FL
unigard awning covers - just went with standard owning, didn't need the LED lights
water filter - will add my own w/ softener
Convection microwave - must have an oven
Central vac - got it because my wife liked the idea
Fireplace - opt'd out to get more cabinets plus wouldn't have used it
King bed - went for queen bed so we could have the night tables
Max fan bath - its a small space with no window, seemed to be a good idea
Max fan kitchen - what can I say other than my cooking and a smoke detector
ceiling fan - not for us, personal preference
40 lb LP tanks - went with standard 30s and may get a 3rd for backup and have it in the TV. 40s also weigh more

--
Slide toppers - We got them to avoid issues with leaves jamming in the slide
Quartz counter - no longer available and wouldn't have wanted them because of weight and possible cracking
slide in slide - not available on 38FL

It's great to be able to get exactly what you want.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #42

What's different about the residential appliances?
Sammie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:38 PM   #43

22 cu ft Samsung SS 3 door fridge w/ ice maker and the Micro is SS Convection. With the big fridge you get a 3rd battery and a power invertor. And, as noted, a slightly smaller island. But it's still big enough for the Dishwasher which for us was a must have.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:52 AM   #44

Ken,
Just a few notes -

The 8K axles did raise the GVWR to 17,500, but they are not available anymore as I understand.

The factory would not put the satellite antenna on the roof when we asked. Not sure why.

Dishwasher - It was that very item, and nothing else that I am aware of, that raised the DW eyebrows and I knew we would have a Redwood and not one of the others we were looking at.....
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:56 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie1 View Post
What's different about the residential appliances?
The residential fridge is like a home refrigerator, runs on 110VAC only (no propane) and because of the compact compressor underneath and the lack of need for a combustion chamber in the back, they have a lot more depth and consequently more volume than an RV fridge. Tom make them operate down the road, they use an inverter off the batteries and include larger or more batteries (I haven't ever really heard how they decided to do it as standard, as I think there are several versions out there).
Old 03-03-2014, 03:01 AM   #46

We are full timers, some of the items omitted by Atom Ant were critical to us, here are our choices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaltman View Post
I think we had a little different take on some options when we ordered:

G614 tires - we ordered these, VERY glad we did based on the Marathon history!!
2nd AC - we ordered it, if you plan to camp in warm climates I would to not have it, you simply can't provide enough cooling with the single unit.
12cf fridge - mandatory, we have a hard time fitting all we need in the 12cf fridge, anything smaller would be impossible

---
Heat pumps - ordered the HP's, we use them if the nighttime lows will be above 50º, otherwise we use the furnace as the HP just can't keep up at that point.
ice maker - I don't like having to use ice trays, we ordered the ice maker!
8k axles - we ordered these, we wanted the extra GVWR, we're rated at 17,500
Disk brakes - didn't order these based on dealer recommendation... still not sure whether we made the right choice but we haven't had any problems without them.
dual pane windows - we ordered them, along with the second A/C they help to keep the coach cooled/heated.
basement TV - didn't get this, we have a 19" LCD we keep boxed in the basement for the occasion when we might want to watch TV outside.
tri-glide pin box - a MUST for us, so glad we ordered it, combined with the air bags on the truck we get a very smooth ride.
dishwasher - didn't order it...I'm the dishwasher, no regrets and glad to have the extra storage.
W/D - we ordered the stackables, so glad we did
generator - got generator prep. have a portable 2K Honda for if I absolutely have to have some 110V.
roof satellite - had it installed by the dealer, very glad we did
second awning - we ordered it, it helps keep the LR cool and gives is extra covered area outside.
unigard awning covers - ordered it but not convinced we needed it
water filter - was standard when we ordered our coach
Convection microwave - we opted to eliminate the gas oven and the standard microwave/convection oven. Instead we opted for the GE Advantium a microwave/convection and radiant heat oven which fits in the space where the microwave goes. We can do anything it it you can do with a conventional oven
Central vac - ordered it and love it!!
Fireplace - got it and use it to supplement the heat, we even use it sometimes without the heat for effect.
King bed - we have two cats that sleep in the bed, the king was mandatory!!
Max fan bath - we have a standard vent in the water closet, we added MAXX fans in the bath/bedroom
Max fan kitchen - ordered it, glad we did
ceiling fan - I don't remember this being a option, if it was I think it was a waste, it is so inefficient, barely puts any air out.
40 lb LP tanks - we went with the 40's, nice to have the extra capacity

--
Slide toppers - we didn't get them
Quartz counter - we got them, they are nice BUT very heavy. So far no problems
slide in slide - not available on 36FB. One reason we chose the FB instead of the 38GK...we wanted king bed and at the time the slide-in-slide could only accommodate a queen bed.

It's great to be able to get exactly what you want.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:11 AM   #47

Don't get me wrong - we got ALL items listed as frivolous. The only thing we didn't get were the last three stated ruled out.