Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2014, 12:16 AM   #21

Sounds great with the rallye!
BasilFawlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:04 AM   #22
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLPalmore View Post
Welcome aboard, we have both the Apple And we should be receiving our RW 38RL the end of this month or first part of March. I am pretty sure I will like the RW a lot better than the Apple, still use the PC when I want to work on spreadsheet, anyway good luck and welcome aboard.
just curious if you have an Apple why would you use a PC when you use a spreadsheet??
We dropped PC's long ago and did the same at work or should I say former work
No virus
No blue screen of death
very very cheap software upgrades
No IE
If you have a MAC or laptop it will run in PC mode better than a PC
no all the other problems

People say too expensive well just configure a PC with the same capabilities as a MAC and you will find the MAC cheaper

Sorry to rant
Dan

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:07 AM   #23

When we get into the mac & pc thing, it's just like getting into the Chevy, Ford, Dodge thing, single or dual wheels, Redwood, Holiday Rambler, Carriage (gone), Teton (gone), democrat or republican, and much more. We all have our opinion, and the reason for forming them. Some are legit, and some are because we don't want to admit our opinions might not be as good as we thought.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:47 AM   #24

My fault. The reason why I mentioned Apple to start with is that I like what they have done and I love the quality of their products. I get the same feeling with Redwood. Not the cheapest but superour in details and smart likable solutions.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:54 AM   #25

I am looking forward to hear and share experiences from you all about great places you have visited and what makes them great. Reading through a lot of forums to learn and find the tools for fulltime living. Read a few books but a bit to obvious info. Trying to dig in to feedbacks others have from not anymore what FW to buy but more how to find good areas to visit, understanding and avioding to do the same mistakes as all of you already have done. To know what memberships sre good and works, how to find the gems of rv parks to stay at etc A new world of possiblilities and hopefully a lot to lesrn and explore!
Old 02-28-2014, 11:19 PM   #26

Congratulations and welcome to the family! We are MAC users, too!
Old 02-28-2014, 11:24 PM   #27

Thanks! Just Found out what communication equipment to buy. Lots of things to think about!

Both Verizon 4G Booster and WiFi Extender/antenna. A jungle but finally found out what was best with help from forums, books, and professionals!
Old 03-01-2014, 03:35 PM   #28
Site Team

Could you share what you found out on the boosters and extenders ?
Old 03-01-2014, 03:41 PM   #29

Yes please share.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:48 PM   #30

It feels strange to give you the information since I am not able to test it yet but I still will!

Took me a week of research both in the US and Sweden.

1. Network
Since bot me and my wife are (as you might know now!) Apple fans we decided to set up our own network inside and outside the RV ourselves using a Apple Time Capsule with built in router (able to communicate in the faster 802.11 N and AC. We can then use our Apple TV inside our own network, do back ups and use our remotes.

2. WiFi
There is a bazillion of solutions out on the market. many of them just too complicated and hard to configure and even hard to understand. I came to the conclusion to keep it simple.
Many of the RV Parks have a) Slow connection b) Bad coverage
The connection is nothing I can do anything about. If 30 people are sharing a 5Mb line it is enough if only one or two decide to stream i.e. Netflix then the rest 28 will get excessively slow connection. No boosters or amplifiers in the world can take care of that problem. What can be improved though is to try to catch whatever weak signal there is and amplify it. My thinking after listening to many people and reading a lot of information is: Get a large antenna, get a good radio at least 0,5Watts, DONT let the radio do anything else than just catch and amplify the WiFi signal. There are omni directional antennas and directional. not sure what works best yet - ordered both. I decided to go with Ubiquiti Platinum HP2 made for marine use. Better insulation than the old plastic one. You connect it direct to the antenna, then to a box inside the RV that receives the amplified signal and gives it power.

It has NO built in radio that has to broadcast the signal secondary to the computer/iPad etc. Signal comes out in a ethernet cable that connects to the AppleAirport/Time capsule.

So every unit, antenna, amplifier, airport does its own job and what it is made for. Seems clean and easy to understand. There are two bands - 2 and 5 mHz. If the RV Parks transmitter/access point is broadcasting 2mHz the signal will travel MUCH longer than if it is set for 5mHz. I understand that 5mHz is more used inside houses to be able to provide a faster speed and more secure connection. The equipment I bought is based up on the fact that RV Parks is using 2mHz and my experience so far it has been used as of 100% of the time. And again, it does not really matter if your equipment can handle 4, 8, 30, 54 or 300 mb/s. All public spots including RV parks most likely has maybe 25-50 to share. And if ten people/computers/iPads are using it at the same time speed is not an issue.

3. Cellular

Have been looking at several systems - think that Wilsons new (not out yet) is going to be the best. It amplifies the signal (ALL carriers INCLUDING 4G/LTE!) outside via an outdoor antenna, then repeats/broadcasts it inside the RV via a small antenna that has to be placed away from the outdoor one to avoid feedback) the RV.

Depending of the signal you start with you get 2-5 bars. The area it covers is depending on the actual starting signal. If no signal no use. But I have very often seen 1x on my Verizon, useless speed but still a signal. And if I can turn that in to at least a usable 3G it will be ok for me. Negative thing is that here in the US it is hard to buy unlimited cell data. The only one that offers that is as far as my research shows, Sprint. But they are also known for being excessively slow very often.

Lets see what happens now when they just got a new huge investor. Sprint also don´t like when you tether your unlimited data so if you are going to follow the rules you can only use it on your phone. My choice today is Verizon based on my traveling in the US and their LTE is very often fast and reliable. ATT lets you both talk and use your iPhone as a hotspot, Verizon does not but I think I can live without it.

Thats where I am now, I will post more info in this forum when I know how things work out.

It is interesting to see how big difference there are between different providers of hardware, some just seems to know everything while others are more honest and just gives you the facts so you can use your own brain to decide. When it comes to money I must say I don´t really care if something costs 200 or 400. If I am going to live full time in a small box, I would like to have the latest and greatest in technology - good or bad - others have to judge ;-))
Old 03-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #31

So I am wondering about the ordering a new one experience. Do you get the same good discount pricing as one on the lot or do you have to pay msrp? Can you make personal changes or are you limited to what you can do?
Sammie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #32

Realistically, many on the lots can be a bit outdated (even in the same year) so they get discounted a bit more I would think. Check the build date on the left front sticker.

We were looking at 2013s originally, and some on the lots had build dates dating back to as early as 05/2012 but showing as 2013, which explained to us why some had this shade, some had that, some had this TV, some had that, Some had these chairs, some had that, etc. The RV industry doesn't follow a model year change schedule, they pretty much phase in changes whenever they want based on new design, existing inventory of parts, etc, so two units built in the same month can be vastly different. For instance I just saw a 2014 with the new basic outside solid brown colors, but the old front and rear fiberglass clip (the one without the LED lights). Nothing wrong with the dated ones on the lot at all, but just know what you are buying.

Another thing is the Dealer typically does not order his inventory units with tons of hidden options such as disk brakes, heat pumps, etc because it makes the price higher than what the competitors are showing. Again, if it has everything you want, there is nothing wrong with the inventory units and the price should be better on the inventory unit because of build date and lot expense.

We have ordered the last few, and its fun. Pick all the stuff you want (I didn't say need ) and see what comes up. You should be able to negotiate a substantial discount off MSRP. If you want to check yourself, try several dealers and shop on the internet. Typically the large discount units are closer to the actual price.

You can expect some custom work - but like ordering a burger without pickles at McDonalds, it can kick your order to the back of the line making delivery a bit longer when they are busy. Ours was grabbed from some early ones in production and was completed within 4 weeks, but as a consequence, some of the little "favors" we asked for didn't happen such as changing the bedroom décor and a factory dryer vent.

Hope that helps, Enjoy shopping!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:15 PM   #33
Site Team

I think you can get a better deal when custom ordering a unit just the way you want it. The dealer doesn't have to worry about the unit sitting on their lot so you end up getting a better deal. Many folks on here have ordered and received 30-35% discounts off of MSRP.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:58 PM   #34

My experience so far ordering a unit has been very positive. I received about 25% off MSRP and will be able to go to the factory while its on the line and see it being built.

Bottom line is I get exactly what I wanted but have to wait for it. In the end I expect to receive the unit about 10-12 weeks after ordering it.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #35

So what kinds of things are needed, as opposed to wanted. For instances do you need a heat pump and two air conditioners?
Sammie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:36 PM   #36

That's really a subjective topic - as I really didn't need an RV - but I sure wanted it

For us personally using it as a vacation vehicle - I would classify them as follows:

Mandatory -
G614 tires
2nd AC
12cf fridge

Frivolous -
Heat pumps - (we actually have two)
ice maker
8k axles
Disk brakes
dual pane windows
basement TV
paint
tri-glide pin box
dishwasher
W/D
generator
roof satellite
second awning
unigard awning covers
water filter
Convection microwave
Central vac
Fireplace
King bed
Max fan bath
Max fan kitchen
ceiling fan
40 lb LP tanks

Ruled out -
Slide toppers - didn't want them (personal preference)
Quartz counter - didn't want them (concerned of weight - no longer available)
slide in slide - got voted out in favor of the King bed (now available with both)

We could have gotten by with the top 3 items realistically. The rest is fun stuff, be we aren't full timing. These were based on our original order sheet, I realize things have changed.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #37

We also ordered so we could get exactly what we wanted. Wait time is about 10 weeks right now.

Get the disc brakes for sure and the 2nd AC. The Trail-Air Tri-Glide Pin Box for better towing. The Residential Appliance Package gets you a much bigger fridge, but a slightly smaller island with no plate divider drawer (always a trade-off somewhere).

We also got about 25% off MSRP. The RV Show Specials were priced about what we paid but not equipped anywhere like what we ordered (everything except Slide Awnings, Hide a Bed Sofa and Exterior TV), so I believe ordering got us a better price.

We ordered a 38GK and asked about the bedroom vanity being replaced with a 2nd armoire like in the RL & RE, but was told no.

Go for safety and comfort, then add the fun stuff!
Old 03-02-2014, 06:53 PM   #38

Interesting - we did the same priorities as you (S&L)! Almost no dealers have the Residential appliances and disc brakes on the units in stock. But often full paint. Suppose it sells better with that you see. Hard to see disc brakes easier to sell an outdoor tv when the price difference is several thousands.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:25 PM   #39

One dealer didn't even know he had one with disk brakes. I happen to see the servo in the front cabinet. He said they never order them that way.

But he also said Redwood did not put in sleeper sofas because they take pride in only using "residential furniture". I lifted the cushion and he laughed when he saw the bed. I think that was the first few they changed their mind and did start offering the hide a bed and air bed.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:41 PM   #40

If we were ordering today the mandatory items are the safety issues - disk brakes, Trail-Air hitch. After that it is the comfort and appearance items, which for us is basically all the options except W/D & generator.

On the 36FL we use the W/D cupboard for additional storage and the generator cabinet is for tools. If we were ordering from the factory the only one I'm on the fence is the slide toppers.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote