Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2016, 04:04 AM   #1

Dark Lines on Ceiling

We have a 2012 36RL and almost 2 years ago we started noticing dark lines going across the ceiling throughout the coach, even on the slide out ceilings. As time goes by, they're getting darker and it's really looking bad. Did call the factory about a month ago and sent them a couple of pictures, but they had no idea what could be causing it and never heard about that happening. It looks like it could be cause by the rafters, maybe from condensation?? But we're only guessing at this point. Wondering if any of you have had this problem and if so, can anything be done about it. HELP!!!:blush
'12 Ford F350 SD Fx4
fdmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdmckee View Post
We have a 2012 36RL and almost 2 years ago we started noticing dark lines going across the ceiling throughout the coach, even on the slide out ceilings. As time goes by, they're getting darker and it's really looking bad. Did call the factory about a month ago and sent them a couple of pictures, but they had no idea what could be causing it and never heard about that happening. It looks like it could be cause by the rafters, maybe from condensation?? But we're only guessing at this point. Wondering if any of you have had this problem and if so, can anything be done about it. HELP!!!:blush
Are the stains washable? Do you live in high humidity area? Refineries, mines or anything near by. I worked outside a refinery for many years and soot would collect in odd places. Do you transport the unit with the windows open and the Maxxfan running. BBQ smoke will do the same thing.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:07 PM   #3

We live in Vancouver, WA. We do have lots of rain here, but no refineries or factories nearby. Lines look like they're coming through from something between the ceiling and the roof, like it's penetration off of the rafters.
'12 Ford F350 SD Fx4
Old 08-31-2016, 07:32 PM   #4

See if you can pull one of the lights out of the ceiling near one of the rafters and take a clean white napkin and wipe the wood ceiling and see if it's the same color on the napkin as what's coming through your ceiling. If that makes sense.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:37 PM   #5

do you burn candles or heat with a propane heater like one of those "Buddy Heater"
Old 08-31-2016, 07:58 PM   #6

You can Google "ghosting on interior walls" this should give you great information as to what is s going on. If nothing else makes for great reading material shortly after a nice stout cup of coffee in the morning.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:23 PM   #7

No propane heat, but DW does light a candle every once in a while. Don't think it could be that cause the lines are fairly dark and go straight across the ceiling about every 12 to 16 inches, even on the slide out ceilings and in the bedroom and bathroom too. I will try to take off one of the lights and check and will also google about ghosting. Wonder if I'm the only one with this problem.
Thanks so much Tom for your help. Really appreciate it!!
Fred
'12 Ford F350 SD Fx4
Old 08-31-2016, 10:06 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Have you checked to see if you have attic vents it could be condensation build up where the metal rafters touch the roof line and over time is leaching through the ceiling board. As said above hopefully you have a light or vent in the roof close to one of the lines to check it out from above
Old 08-31-2016, 10:30 PM   #9

Thanks Shane! I'll see if I can check that out too.
'12 Ford F350 SD Fx4
Old 08-31-2016, 10:33 PM   #10

I had some of this on my old RV. It wound up being the glue used on the headlining after doing a repair attracting dust. It did not wash off....
Old 09-01-2016, 01:58 AM   #11

This is what I'm afraid of. It doesn't look like something that will wash off. It looks like it's coming from the outside in. Maybe there's not enough insulation or air flow up there. The lines are evenly spaced, even on the slide out ceiling, like where the rafters would be. Worries me how no one else has this problem and don't even know if it can be taken care of.
'12 Ford F350 SD Fx4
Old 09-01-2016, 02:57 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
This is what I'm afraid of. It doesn't look like something that will wash off. It looks like it's coming from the outside in. Maybe there's not enough insulation or air flow up there. The lines are evenly spaced, even on the slide out ceiling, like where the rafters would be. Worries me how no one else has this problem and don't even know if it can be taken care of.

Fred,

We have a 2012 36RL also; it was built in Aug/Sept 2011 and we took ownership in Sept. 2011. This is not going to help you any, but, I don't see any sign of a similar kind of issue on our ceilings. We have well over 20K miles on the coach and have stayed in Florida the past 3 winters where it is very humid. And of course the summers in Indiana can be very humid also.

The only thing I can suggest is to get a mobile RV service to take a look and see if they can help.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:52 PM   #13

Thanks Guy! We already had our mobile tech look at it the last time he was out here and he wasn't sure what was causing it either. We did have to replace our a/c seal and when we first got the coach, the front cap had pulled apart from the roof due to screws being stripped during installation. Maybe one of these things caused moisture to get in. Can't think of anything else that could have caused this. It's just very disheartening to know there's probably nothing we can do about it.
'12 Ford F350 SD Fx4
Old 09-01-2016, 08:48 PM   #14

My 2012 36RL was also built in September of 2011. Mine is fine as well. Could you paint the ceiling?
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:56 PM   #15

We thought about doing that, but when I read the articles on "ghosting on ceiling", it said that painting would not solve the problem and it would just keep coming back.
'12 Ford F350 SD Fx4
Old 09-01-2016, 09:48 PM   #16

Quote:
We live in Vancouver, WA. We do have lots of rain here, but no refineries or factories nearby. Lines look like they're coming through from something between the ceiling and the roof, like it's penetration off of the rafters.
I live in Long beach Wa. @ Sunrise Resorts . We are about 200 yards from the ocean and have no problem with moisture in our rig . A friend of mine here at the park has a cloth celling and has the same issue as you do . He found that the lines were coming from in between the seems of the sheeting that was installed before the material was glued to the celling.
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote