Old 04-19-2018, 01:59 AM   #1

Considering a RW 3881ES

So happy to have found this list. We are seriously considering purchasing a new 2018 RW 3881ES, as we fell in love with the floorplan. However, I have searched and searched for others who have this model to see what they think about the quality, or if they are plagued with problems. I have seen so many scary stories it makes me want to just keep our old 2004 Regal, but we want a more full time-ish RV since we recently retired and now have time to go more. I saw on this forum the warranties on the new rigs are now only 1 year, but my brochure says 3 years, Industries Best structural warranty, and inside it says 2 year limited Redwood Warranty. So hoping for some sound advice. Can't afford to make what could be a costly mistake with part of lifelong savings. We would love any helpful advice. Thanks.
Txcowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:45 AM   #2

You are going to get both ends of the spectrum on this forum. We bought a brand new 2018 3901MB and we have had excellent service from it. Took it back to the dealer one time, had six or eight items fixed. I strongly recommend you look harder for dealer than you do for the Redwood. A good dealer makes all the difference in the world, mine had my coach in and out in 10 days. I got the 2 year warranty and just a few days later they went to the 3 year, oh well, but I also got a ten year extended warranty alongside a lifetime warranty on major systems from the dealer. I am willing to be patient enough to get a few break in things fixed, so for my wife and I, the Redwood is outstanding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Highcountrybarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:51 AM   #3

Hadn't seen that floorplan before. It looks really nice, especially for those still working as they have a place to work away from others. One downside I see is the W/D would have to be a combo rather than separate units.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:58 AM   #4

If you read any forum on any make or model you'll find the majority are posting complaints not praises. The great thing about this forum (the ROG forum as well), yea some post complaints also, but most are here to help as much as possible to sort through the problems with solutions instead of pile on more complaints.
Haven't seen this floor plan before, but it's a rv & WILL have problems, hopefully all minor, plus a new floor plan in the mix. So as mentioned shop the dealers service department much more closely than the sales department, they will make the difference even if it cost few more bucks.

Danny & Linda
Fulltimers since 2008
2013 Denali 3500 drw 4x4 d/a
2013 RW 36 FB black & tan
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:58 AM   #5

We just looked at the same model and very nice. AA, I think if wanted there is enough room to install separate units but you have to give up closet space. That is what we would do and add shelving above.

Only negative to me was the office. We LOVE it but to much glass on the entry. If I were working at the desk, I prefer a little more privacy instead of the action going on in the kitchen. Easy fix but didn't pull the trigger yet.

You can't go wrong with a Redwood but the dealer MAKES ALL the difference so do the research and ask questions on their service department and warrantee time frame for repairs.

Steve

2014 Redwood 36FL and 2015 GMC Denali 3500 DW Duramax
Char & Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcountrybarry View Post
You are going to get both ends of the spectrum on this forum. We bought a brand new 2018 3901MB and we have had excellent service from it. Took it back to the dealer one time, had six or eight items fixed. I strongly recommend you look harder for dealer than you do for the Redwood. A good dealer makes all the difference in the world, mine had my coach in and out in 10 days. I got the 2 year warranty and just a few days later they went to the 3 year, oh well, but I also got a ten year extended warranty alongside a lifetime warranty on major systems from the dealer. I am willing to be patient enough to get a few break in things fixed, so for my wife and I, the Redwood is outstanding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
The dealer we chose also offers the lifetime warranty. I didn't know you could get a 10 year extended, that sounds wonderful. Thanks so much for the advice. It sounds like Redwood is standing behind their products.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:57 AM   #7

We loved the layout, need a computer area, and I do many hobbies, so loved the desk and fireplace. It just had an elegant ambiance.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
If you read any forum on any make or model you'll find the majority are posting complaints not praises. The great thing about this forum (the ROG forum as well), yea some post complaints also, but most are here to help as much as possible to sort through the problems with solutions instead of pile on more complaints.
Haven't seen this floor plan before, but it's a rv & WILL have problems, hopefully all minor, plus a new floor plan in the mix. So as mentioned shop the dealers service department much more closely than the sales department, they will make the difference even if it cost few more bucks.
This seems to be the case, it's just such a big decision. My hubby is a mechanical engineer also, and has had experience with our current rv fixing things. We plan on traveling some with my sister, and her husband who are full timers. He's an electronics engineer, worked on sophisticated aircraft as contractor for the military. So I feel fairly confident they can fix many problems, but if you get one with major problems it takes the fun out of it. Such a big decision. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:07 AM   #9

Great to see fellow Texans!
Old 04-19-2018, 05:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
We just looked at the same model and very nice. AA, I think if wanted there is enough room to install separate units but you have to give up closet space. That is what we would do and add shelving above.

Only negative to me was the office. We LOVE it but to much glass on the entry. If I were working at the desk, I prefer a little more privacy instead of the action going on in the kitchen. Easy fix but didn't pull the trigger yet.

You can't go wrong with a Redwood but the dealer MAKES ALL the difference so do the research and ask questions on their service department and warrantee time frame for repairs.

Steve
It's comforting to hear from satisfied owners. We've seen good reviews about the dealer, so hopefully it will make the difference. We just bought the truck for it, a Chevy dually high country 2017, we are loving it. I see several of you who answered my question has a similar one. Gives me confidence we got the right one!