Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #1

In keeping true to this being a place for new members such as ourselves to formally introduce ourselves to the rest of the group, I'm finally getting around to it so here goes:

I currently own and operate a small (one truck LOL) trucking business with my wife. We service the air passenger and air cargo industry throughout the United States. Together with our Boston Terrier Abby we travel all over the country on a daily basis in our 2007 custom built Kenworth T-600 tractor pulling our custom built 48' stepdeck trailer equipped with an automatic tarp system. Our tractor has a custom sleeper [ARI] that provides us 14.5' of living space behind the driver's cab and has all the luxuries of an RV (shower/toilet/ full kitchen/etc).

We exclusively haul jet engines, jet engine cowlings and thrust reverser, landing gear, and large control surfaces such as slats, flaps, rudders, elevators, etc. Most of the time we load and offload parked right next to the cargo jets at the airport, thus high security clearance required. If you fly or have flown on a passenger jet in the past years, we may have hauled one of the above that was mounted on your plane. Sometimes we even haul the whole plane, that is disassembled for transport. Of course these would be your smaller private craft.

In deciding to semi retire at a younger age (mid to late fifties) and enjoy the RV lifestyle while we can still get around physically, we bought our first Fiver in January, 2013 with the plan of paying it off the day we finally retired. But, being a late model used unit we did not learn until after the fact that it had had a major structural failure and had to be all but rebuilt (frame, cage, interior/exterior surfaces, etc) prior to coming into our ownership. Oh, and of course the dealership knew nothing about its past history when they sold it to us, or so the story goes. So we got rid of the potential money pit on wheels and bought our brand new (I'll never buy a used RV again!) Redwood 36FB and couldn't be happier! We'll we would be if we could just go ahead and shut down and sell the trucking business so we could enjoy our Redwood everyday!

I'm working on that as we speak. Already joined Workkampers Of America and after reading the different RV forums online regarding working while RVing fulltime, writing books is what I have chosen to supplement the early retirement pension. My first book is currently complete and in the final publishing stages with a tentative release date of Oct/Sept, 2013. It is a fiction suspense/thriller. There are already two more books in the writing process for release early to mid 2014. I am hopeful and looking forward to the good life of normalcy (something not afforded in the trucking industry) sitting at my desk in the Redwood with my wife and dog as I write my novels and children's books.

That's how I want to go out in this life!

Edited by: GHage
Old 08-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #2

Welcome to the Redwood family.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #3

Welcome! Be sure to let us know when that book comes out!!!
Old 08-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #4

Congrats !! Had two B.T's growing up --- they were SOMETHING else !!

Named Spike and Sparkle (guess which one I named )
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #5

Congrats, and that Tractor will make one heck of TV!!!!
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #6

Congratulations on purchasing a Redwood and welcome to the forum. We also travel with pets - German Shepherd, Labrador and a cat.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #7

Congrats & welcome. I retired in 2002 at age of 54, we sold the house, moved into RV in June and hit the road. Had put together a 2001 FL60 hauler and pulled with that until a couple years ago. Now use 1T Chev. This is a great lifestyle and I think you will love it.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #8

Ok folks, here's my first attempt at downloading some photos on this forum for you to see. Lets see if I can screw this up!

<center>
</center>

Seriously, I think it worked!!! The home base at Grand Lake RV and Golf Resort with the tractor parked next to the Redwood. Plus our work trailer hooked to the tractor and two jet engines ( the same model as was on the US Airways flight that Sully Sullenberger set down in the Hudson River.

Only thing that would make these photos better is a Smart Car parked on a deck behind the sleeper and the Redwood hitched to the tractor. Now that's sweet!!!

Edited by: GHage
Old 08-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
Site Team

Welcome to the forum and the Redwood family.