Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #1

For those that have had a Redwood for over a year now, how are they holding up? Are the systems(AC, heat, plumbing) still performing well? Are the counters, carpet, furnature, cabinets, showers, beddingwithstanding the normal wear and tear, or not? Is the paint on the outside still shiny, or fading? How much have you used the rig, a few weekends or fulltime. We are very interested in the Redwood, maybe even going to order one, just trying to find out how they are doing after some usage.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingman
For those that have had a Redwood for over a year now, how are they holding up? Are the systems(AC, heat, plumbing) still performing well? Are the counters, carpet, furnature, cabinets, showers, beddingÂ*withstanding the normal wear and tear, or not? Is the paint on the outside still shiny, or fading? How much have you used the rig, a few weekends or fulltime. We are very interested in the Redwood, maybe even going to order one, just trying to find out how they are doing after some usage.
Have not used ours to speak of. It spends all of it's time in the repair shop.

Lillyputz
Old 04-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #3

Not withstanding Lillyputz's problems, our 36RL is holding up relatively well - knock on wood. Yes, we've had our share of problems, but overall we are extremely pleased with it. We've had our unit since 11/11/11 and are full-timers moving across the nation and back as the weather chases us. We are going back to the Crossroads Service Center to have some warranty work done in July. As with any RV and manufacturer, there will be problems. Just take care of them as they arise. BTW, the paint is holding up extremely well with normal washings and semiannual waxing.

Edited by: Adamsvr
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #4

We've had our 36RL with full paint for 14 months now. No major manufacturing issues. We don't full time yet but use it as often as we possibly can. We have about 3500 miles on the unit. The paint has seen a few chips thanks to road rocks and debris but it's easy to touch it up. We didn't order the disc brakes and have had several seals pop on the drum brakes. They have been repaired promptly. If I were ordering a new unit again, I'd get the discs. The back large window was replaced due to warping in the frame. Now it's working fine. Our roof was accidently ripped by the service people we use. It was replaced and is doing it's job.

We've done several of the modifications to it including the exit valve on the sewer connection to gain more gray water storage. Added two make shift night stands to the king bed. The washer/dryer, dishwasher, and sat dish work as they should. We opted for vinyl flooring in the living area but the carpet in the rest of the unit is holding up well. No leaks in the shower or skylight over the shower.

This is our third RV experience and have been happy with the support that we've received from our service people and the factory. We are very high on the Redwood product and would recommend you do as much research as you can on Redwood andcomparable units. That's what we did and Redwood came out on top every time.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #5

I would not by another RW. PM me your contact number and I will tell you all the problems I have haf
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #6

Andrew,

Sorry to hear you would not order another Redwood. Some folks have had major issues and most of us quite a few minor issues. If there was ever an industry that needed an ISO quality program it is the RV industry. I must say a lot of bad press Redwood gets is from dealers failing to do the right thing for the owners. I have been told that the factory does not allow enough labor to fix some of the problems. The truth is the dealer probably does not have qualified personnel to do the job in the time alotted. Find a good dealer and you might just change your mind about Redwood.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #7

We have had our 36RL 5 months now and full time. The main issue I have is the door latches good sometimes and not so good others. Part of it is the level of the pad and part is I don't think the farme is square to the opening. Microwave/Covection oven glass broke a seal needs to be repaired and the bedroom slide motors have gone out of sync (to be repaired). Other wise it's been great and would by another. Make sure to get disc breaks and G tires.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #8

Our 36RL will be a year old at the end of the month. We're not full timers, but have spent all but 99 days in the RW since picking it up. We've put approx 10,000 miles so far and experienced very few problems and have not been anywhere for service. We do have an appointment at a Dealer near where we're at presently for our yearly inspection and have a jack replaced that is leaking ever so slightly. We traded in a 2010 Montana for our RW, and the RW is head and shoulders above the Montana. Can't tell you about the mattress as put our SleepNumber from the Montana into the RW. Everything works as intended and gets plenty of use in our day to day living.
If you were to order an RW some must have options would be: Disc Brakes, "G" Rated tires, Tri-Glide Pin Box, Dual ACs (onejust willnot do the trick in 90 degree temps, neither did a single unit in the Montana).
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #9

I've had my 36RL since July of last year and have been very pleased with this unit. I am a full timer and spent the past winter in Minnesota in temps down to -22 degrees (not including wind chill). The coach held up nicely. I've only had minor issues with the coach, and those were all repaired to my satisfaction on the first visit back to the dealership after my original purchase. Would I purchase another one.....yup.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
Site Team

We too have only had our Redwood five months and have only had a couple of very minor problems. We love it anddefinitely would buy another one.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #11

We've ad our 36RL since October 2012 and have been full timing since the beginning of November. Had a few minor issues, RW has stood behind their product and worked well with our dealer to be sure they were fixed to our satisfaction. We looked at many other rv's before buying our RW. Nothing at the same price point could even begin to compare. We'd buy another in a heartbeat!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
I would not by another RW. PM me your contact number and I will tell you all the problems I have haf
Just spit it out - shouldn't need to be private
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #13
Site Team

I've had my RL for one year now and the company has treated me very fairly. Yes I've had some problems as you do with all RVs but the main thing is the manufacture is standing behind their product. I've never had to explain how something broke, they simply fix it.

I'm not full time but I pull my trailer all over the country in all conditions (roughly 18000 miles so far). Everything on my Redwood is first class and holding up well.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #14

We moved into our Redwood 36RL mid April last year. We are
full-timers....we have had a few minor things happen over the months but
nothing that was major that sent us to the service dept. We are
constantly moving around the state of Texas as we train....so our unit
has gotten a workout. I love my Redwood and will continue to be the
good ambassador for the company!

My Choice.... Redwood!!

Lady E Cooper

TXRVProfessor&LadyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:12 AM   #15

We bought our RW36FL IN SEPT 2011, paperwork says it is a 2012, found out RW has about 6 versions of the 2012. They could list 2012-Sept11. Who knows. We added a 3rd a/c living in Texas., ADDITIONAL CEILING FAN, NIGHT CURTAINs (we sleep late). Taking a month in August and many 3 days as possible, due to issues we are 1+ year late hitting the road. Anyone know a great park in New Mexico? Or Az?
Old 04-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #16

We have had our 36FL for 13 months and have put over 35K miles on it. We had a tire issue which created other issues but our insurance company subrogated against Goodyear and won. We have had issues but Redwood and their authorized repair facilities have done an outstanding job with service and we could not be more pleased. Fortunately for us we have a service department 6 miles from our home. Some of our issues were with components (dishwasher, front door shock, release handle on grey tank, AC vibration) but no structural issues. We had our axels checked for alignment using a laser alignment process and all were within normal manufacturing specifications. We are going to upgrade our pinbox and add air bags to our truck. I refinished our kitchen table (dog thought it was his play stand to look out the window!!) and two end tables in the living room for the same reason. If we are able we may wait a couple of years and purchase the newest model of the 36FL or we may just buy upgrades a few at a time. We are real happy with our Redwood
Old 04-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingman
For those that have had a Redwood for over a year now, how are they holding up? Are the systems(AC, heat, plumbing) still performing well? Are the counters, carpet, furnature, cabinets, showers, beddingwithstanding the normal wear and tear, or not? Is the paint on the outside still shiny, or fading? How much have you used the rig, a few weekends or fulltime. We are very interested in the Redwood, maybe even going to order one, just trying to find out how they are doing after some usage.

We have owned our 36Rl since September 2011. Thiswas ourfirst 5th wheel or travel trailerafter beingpop-up campers for 35 years. I researched 5th wheels for 3 1/2 years before deciding on our Redwood. We have only had minor issues which I either fixed myself or had done at the dealer and/or factory service department.Some of the issues (like proper connections of entertainment center wiring) could have been easily correctable during construction with better quality control checks (make sure all the systems work correctly during the build process).

I have done a fair amount of reading post on other forums and have come to believe that the RV industry in general lags behind other industries in quality control,but, I believe that Redwood does as good of job if not better than most.

We have not been able to spend as much time in our RW as we would have liked over the past 1 1/2 years due to my wifes health. But, she is doing well now and we are planning 5 weeks to Coloradothis summer (didn't get to take the trip last summer).

Number 1, make sure you research dealers that have excellant service departments. Make sure the dealer is actually knowledgeable about the Redwood product and the published or unpublished factory options that are availble. At the time we ordered, I had to ask the factory rep if I could get disk brakes......the dealer did not know anything about it and they were supposedly a very good dealer

Number 2, do a factory tour if at all possible......that is what sold me.

Number 3, don't be afraid to ask every question you can think of directly to the factory rep in your area.

We are veryhappy we bought our Redwood, 2012, 36RL when we did and are looking forward to many years with it in the future.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #18

As of June 1 we will have had our Redwood for one year. Numerous problems leaking shower,washer hose leak,ceiling fell down,5 ceiling joint cover straps fell off,paneling seperating from wall,heater duct to bedroom fell off,water leaks ect,ect. We have been full timing for 16 years and have had more problems with thiis 5er than other units put togeather in 15 years. Yes everyone should be happy that Redwood stands behind it's product and repairs all broken items instead of building them right in the first place. Many other anoying problems but just fix them myself so I don't have to go to the repair shop. If you just go to the search on this forum and put in any item to see if there is a problem in that area you will get your answer. There are to many problems I have fixed and continue to fix to list. Front door not sealed properly,tv wires miss routed,one AC not wired on properly.popping jacks,replaced DVD player twice, large gap under slide alowing water and dust to enter when driving. Most items repaired are the same as others. I did not buy a fixer up or a tow back for repair..I bought it new. You can say that the RV industry is rife with problems but I blame the consumer. We buy things that have to be taken back time and time again for repairs and smile because we have nothing better do do with our lives and bend over to pick up that pretty rock. I for one am disappointed with the quality of construction. Make any excuse you want but I have had to fix or have had to have fixed to many things on this unit. When I sell it it will be in better condition than when I bought it. The longer you have it and the more time you spend in it you will see my point. Three new jacks put on and now another is leaking. Nice.
DonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:07 PM   #19

We have had OUR FL just over 17 months, used 5 times, several issues, mostly POOR QC by dealer, ALL ISSUES MINOR. Private msg for issues.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:41 PM   #20

We left Tuscon, AZ for Wilcox, AZ to camp with our Tucson's Sunny Sams group. When setting up in Wilcox I noticed a highwhiningsound from the fridge. It sounded like a bearing was going out with the fan in the fridge. I borrowed a ladder, removed the top access panel to determine where the noise was coming from. To my surprise I found a piece of duct tape had fallen and stuck to the fan housing. Just enough of the fan blade was touching the tape to cause the high pitched sound. BTW the tape is there because instead of overlapping materials theyunder-lappedthem. To keep moisture out Redwood put duct tape over theunder-lappedjoint. Any guesses on how long duct tape will stick in an RV application? Another item on my list for Lazy Days to fix.