Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2018, 04:28 PM   #1

Why redwood?

Buying my first 5er, willing to spend a little more for better quality but just can’t figure out what’s better. I for sure want one about two years old. Can anybody give me advice. I want to full time and I will be towing a lot. I liked the cedar creek & grand design but I’m thinking maybe I should spend a little more and upgrade to a nice redwood. I guess I just don’t know where the difference is in the redwood. Thanks for any help you may have.
Macs sports bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macs sports bar View Post
Buying my first 5er, willing to spend a little more for better quality but just can’t figure out what’s better. I for sure want one about two years old. Can anybody give me advice. I want to full time and I will be towing a lot. I liked the cedar creek & grand design but I’m thinking maybe I should spend a little more and upgrade to a nice redwood. I guess I just don’t know where the difference is in the redwood. Thanks for any help you may have.
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...-renew-listing

Have a look at mine that's for sale.

I think youll find, particularly in the 2012 to 2014-15 range, seem to be a bit better in build quality.
The Cedar Creek would be the closest to the RW quality, but in my opinion the Grand Design are more of an entry level rv.
Most that are a couple years old are in 2 categories in my opinion, #1 is where I believe I fall, we want to downsize due to lifestyle changes & offering a well maintained with most all of the bugs worked out & several recent upgrades or #2 they've had so many problems they needed to get rid of it.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:03 AM   #3

Grand Design

I just was at that point....And I will agree with Danny about the Grand Design...I read so many great reviews....but a walk thru proved that they are nothing special....look like all the rest....I told the salesman that and he was quite offended....but it is what it is....and the "assembly line" feel of the trailer is quite obvious to me....and at an upper price point with this entry level trailer....not worth it in my eyes..
Wes
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:45 AM   #4

We also looked at Grand Designs. We liked the Solitudes when they first came out, but the dark wood turns us off. The dark wood they keep putting in rv's now makes them look like a dungeon. This past summer/fall when we were shopping for a fifth wheel, we looked at them again. Personally we think since Winnebago bought them, they got cheaper. We also saw a bit of vinyl over particle board cabinet stiles where they used to be solid wood. The whole picture turned us off on Solitudes. We thought the Jayco Pinnacle was a better buy. Kept coming back to Redwood though.
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:50 PM   #5

We didn't see anything at the recent Tampa Super Show that impressed us, Even the new Redwoods didn't do anything for us, so I guess we'll stick with our current '16 39MB as the floor plan is perfect for our use (7 to 9 months a year).
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:23 PM   #6

I was recently at a RV show in Oregon and looked at many different brands nothing Wow'ed us. Went home and had to go in the trailer to get somethings and I still after 4 years get that wow feeling walking in. Plus the added knowledge that I know this trailer and have worked out the bugs. Thinking of adding solar this spring and still contemplating the IS but most likely that will be in another year when we semi retire and start heading south more. #stillloveourredwood
Old 02-06-2019, 11:28 PM   #7

Redwood is a fairly well built midgrade 5th wheel. Its Not a Excell or New horizon price . its what we could afford used
Old 02-06-2019, 11:40 PM   #8

Mid Grade....Agreed

standard with heavy axles(#8000).....more material on the frame....thicker sidewalls....a better design / build on the sealed underbelly...upgrade wheels / tires....Things I believe our Redwood would need to move it up to the next level (and price point).....but we are very happy with our unit and were not prepared to move up to a mobile suites or similar...
Denise and Wes & Madi (our GSP).....2015 38RL....Loaded
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:42 AM   #9

Same here, our Redwood has overall been a good solid unit, we have not seen a 5th Wheel that feel more like home than our Redwood.
Mobile Suites and Luxe are nice units but at a much higher price point and Redwood.
We moved up to our Redwood from a Jayco Pinnacle, our Jayco was a good, solid, reliable unit but it was no Redwood
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:43 PM   #10

When my wife and I were looking for our 1st 5th wheel, we went to a dealer in Ft Worth initially to look at a used RW he had in stock. While we were checking out this RW I asked him to show us an alternative so he took us over to a Grand Design. Both units had been sitting in the sun all day, doors closed and no AC obviously. My wife and I both noticed immediately the temperature increase going from the RW to the GD, it felt like it was 8 dgrs at least warmer in the GD. That was enough for us to go back to the RW and eventually buy a very nice used 36FB.
bbusbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:38 AM   #11

well.....

We purchased our first Redwood in July of 2015... had very little issues with it, To date was our favorite RV... Two weeks ago it was totaled by our neighbors tree, needless to say we were and still are devastated..

We made a deal, thanks to the help from Redwood on a 2020 Redwood 3991RD, only time will tell if we love it as much as the first.

They are telling me they improved on some prior points of concern, we shall see...

At the end of the day, our Redwood is by far our favorite RV so far...

Like stated, for it's price point, nothing compares in my eyes... We walked in a few Landmarks 365 a week and half ago, and neither of us were impressed at all...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:16 PM   #12

We have a 2015 36RL. it has a generator, IS, G Tires, washer and dryer, new micro, we will be selling soon, moving up to a Tiffin Phaeton 40AH. We will be selling the 2017 Ram 3500DRW Larime Longhorn as well.
Cliff & Julie Hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff & Julie Hammond View Post
We have a 2015 36RL. it has a generator, IS, G Tires, washer and dryer, new micro, we will be selling soon, moving up to a Tiffin Phaeton 40AH. We will be selling the 2017 Ram 3500DRW Larime Longhorn as well.
Congrats! Welcome to the dark side
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:34 PM   #14

We bought a 2015 39 MB new and have full timed in it since Nov 15 of 2015, it has traveled to the west coast and back, and we now reside in Titusville FL, we are very happy with the overall performance of this unit, it has given us minor trouble, though I must say the best day was when it went out of Mngf warranty and I could fix or do as I wanted with unit.
Installed IS system disc brakes and put Timnken bearings and H rated tires, all on the advice of folks on this site, and could not be happier with the ride.
We just came back from running from Hurricane and aside from greasing the chassis and IS system my F350 pulled it like there was nothing behind and what a pleasure it is to look in your mirrors and see your RV riding perfectly true and straight behind you.
Have a problem with brushes in Power Cord reel that is being addressed, but even with that going on, it is still one great RV.
If we have one thing we are not thrilled about it is that I insisted on the bath and a half, and the only thing we use it for is storage, thinking about pulling the toilet out and converting it to a pantry as it would get more use that way, but that another day. Any one ever done something like that, your comments would be appreciated.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:30 PM   #15

We didn't modify our '16 MB, but we didn't want the Half Bath so we ordered the Butler's Pantry and would be lost without that additional storage space.
I'm sure the half bath could be converted, biggest thing would be closing off all the plumbing.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:43 AM   #16

Seem to be a lot of happy feedback and folks here re their Redwoods. This is exactly why I joined this particular group for the feedback and opinions .. Cheers Greg S
fatenhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:50 AM   #17

We still regularly get people stop and tell us how beautiful our RW is. It IS beautiful, I have never seen a fiver that was better looking (subjective, obviously!) Everyone thinks it is new, and it is NOT... it is well traveled and we love her. I will never say that we don't spend all of our time putting it back together, but that's just RVing in general. The RV does not exist that isn't always trying to fall apart. If you are looking for that, I don't think you will find it. It's home for us, and we love it.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:56 AM   #18

Its long ago I realized life is not perfect and guessing neither would be any RV ... Appreciate your advice ..
fatenhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:21 PM   #19
Site Team

As a good friend, and long time RV owner said to me “ if you don’t own a set of tolls and know what to do with them, then if you buy an RV you better have a bunch of $$$ and patience”. True words and the brand doesn’t matter
Old 12-29-2019, 09:48 PM   #20

If you can manage to make fixing the RV a "hobby" using mind games, then you will be happier. LOL. It's almost always little stuff... but stay on top of it, because it snowballs quick. It helps us full timers to remember what we are NOT doing... moving lawns, cleaning gutters... it helps a lot.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote