Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #21

I'm not all that old but I do get called grumpy because my Soft Skills never developed properly after 10 yrs in the Canadian Reserve and 8 years in the oil patch in Alberta.

We all get what we pay for... first the crappy cars sold to us made in the good ol US or Canada in the 70's and now the crap with the old name we remember like RCA that is built in some 3rd world country. You have probably heard the stories about the Wal-mart super ship that brings a boatload of crap over from China and sails back empty and they still make money. We did that!

Now we need to stand up and demand quality now that stuff is being built in the US and Canada again.

I can fix the small stuff but I expect and get very good service from my dealer. If some of you are not, I suggest you find another one. Elevate concerns about Redwood response to your dealer to Tom to fix. Maybe even write a letter to Good Sam Highways magazine of the RV mags to get the point across.

QC like Safety is cheaper in the long run than not doing it. I hope Redwood picks things up a notch before they move on to pushing their new line.

I watch my unit very carefully but feel for those of you that assumed full time living actually meant full time living with little or no issues.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #22

Well said Brad and Dave. And I am a Grumpy Old Man but I have no issues with my Rig. But my ISO GMC. Truck caused me to miss last years Rally. Oops built I n the good old US of A. Every thing is not perfect, you gotta make the best of it and smile and get on with life. Just remember one thing. Life is not a dress rehearsal, make the best of every day and hope you wake up tomorrow. My 2 cents any way
Old 04-25-2013, 12:03 AM   #23

Dave and Brad - great comments.
While retired, I don't consider myself "old", but grumpy?? - the wife & kids would probably agree with that one. At least I come by it honestlywith 25+ years in command of passenger vessels. While now Canadian, I originate fromthe country that is renowned world wide for being thrifty and expecting value for money -Scotland. Therefore, I expectvalue for moneycoupled with exemplary after sales customer service.
We are new to RV'ing and to date we believe we got good value at time of purchase and are extremely satisfied with the service to date from RW and our dealer. However,I find the issues being aired on this forum somewhat of a concern. RW have goals of expanding, lately announcing they picked up the Toy Haulers from Crossroads and will shortly introduce higher end 5'erswith the Carriage name.
Prior to expansion, I suggest they need to introduce a Quality Management System built on the ISO 9000 series incorporating effective QA/QC. This however will not guarantee the coach arrives on the dealers lot inperfect condition.Our coach had already completeda shake down cruise during the 2,500 mile deliveryto the dealer, before we drive it off the lot. This requires an effective dealer network to address issuesarising during the delivery. I remember a recent comment that compared driving on the motorway comparable to a 7.0 earthquake. How many stix & brix will survive a 7.0 earthquake.

We are looking forward to our first RV adventure next month, regardless of the challenges that may arise. We expect some issues and while I don't mind mentioning them on a public forum, if asked.We will resolve them privately with our dealer and RW. Remember, is the glass half empty or half full and life is short and not always perfect, so enjoy each day that we have
However, if Redwood and the greater RV industry don't adapt and introduce QMS, the huge box boats currently being built in China will be shipping Chinese built RV's toCanada & United States within a few years.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:38 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyputz
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant
So how do we take that first stand?

Not trying to belittle anybody's woes or issues, but I hear this over and over with every RV forum. My idea of taking stand is not taking it back to the Dealer for every loose screw, because that costs me more money than it does them.
I took my stand and I've heard of others, doing the same as me.

Lillyputz
Yes - and I can see how that's working out for you. I can't do that to myself. Too much stuff of my bucket list to take on a cause now.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMac

RifRaff....It's not a lemon..its typical of a Redwood product. Add to yours. Second AC not wired correctly,big air leaks around front door,big air leak under dinner table slide 2" gap when closed,all ceiling joint cover straps have fallen down,air leaks on all slides,washer hose came off and flooded RV,lots of inside heat on stove side of refrig due to lack of insulation,three leaking jacks replaced,bedroom heater duct fell off connection,leaking water lines,excess heat in bedroom closet due to lack of insulation,dvd player replaced three times, paneling over dining table fell down and had to be reglued,paneling under back window were joined came unglued like it did over the table,jacks popping at temp change. There have been more things repaired on this rig that my last rig (Everest) that I had for 9years. I am a full timer and have been for years. I feel no confidence having this Redwood. Everyone is very happy that redwood will repair stuff but do not seem to think it should be built right in the first place. If one is a full timer one does not want to spend time in a repair shop waiting for the OK from redwood for a repair. Some think it is just the way all RV's are built. Then there are those that get their jollies from taking ther rig in for repair. I cannot give a thumbs up to anyone who asks about my redwood. Sure it's pretty,Â*but functional ? So far I have not had to get people to help me push in my slide that won't work properly but I am waiting. I am actually supprised at the people that have had so many issues with their rigs that just seem to shout redwood from the top of a mountain. I guess we Americans have become quite use to badly made products. Thats not a political statement is it?s
I have a friend that has had more problems in 4 months since he had his 2012 Redwood RL than he did with the 7 years he had his Montana and said that Keystone has 10 times more service locations. He lives here in Louisiana and don't have the option of the main office and he is a full-timer.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #26

You know, I've read all the comments both positive and negative. We have owned RV's since the 1990's. We've had 5ers and a motor coach. We have owned our 2013 Redwood 36RL for almost a year. We are not full time yet, but we do use it often. We have had to have it in for some small expected repairs.After all we are pulling it down the road and hitting pot holes and whatever else enters our path. Redwood and our dealer has worked with us on every issue and fixed everything to our satisfaction. It's hard for me to believe that Redwood is not dealing with everyone the same way. I think that alot of the problems are coming from the dealer level. My point is, we are very pleased with our Redwood. It is the most comfortable RV we have ever had and it pulls like a dream. We had issues with the original recliners and Redwood worked with us to get the current recliners they are using. They are very comfortable and we are very happy. They just replaced our RCA blueray with LG and there were no issues what so ever. This is justour point of view, as for today after 1 year of owneship, we are pleased.

Russ & Linda
Russ & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #27

We bought ours out of State and I've slept in it for 2 days about 3 miles from the Dealer.As planned, we left it and my TV at the Dealer and flew home to allow for any post PDI repairs, which there were a few.

Today I fly back with all my family to bring it home, but the joy has pretty much been killed by all this doom and gloom. Shame on me for reading a forum. I should realize it's about 3 or 4 representing a few hundred that seem to perpetuate the negative conversations about the product, just as they do on any other forums, but it still starts to grind on a new owner.

I'm moving on to happier places and thanks for all the help I received from the other 3 or 4 that seem to actually enjoy talking about Redwood. I'm sure I'll never see any of you at a rally, because I know now my Redwood could never actually never get very far from a Dealer and it is uninhabitable for the most part. But at least we are all in the same sinking ship, eh! Maybe I'll have nothing but trouble and I too can join in on the pity party, but I have higher hopes at this point.

I think I'll have a drink Edited by: atom ant
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #28

We have had ours for a little over a year. I hate to say anything because I didn't wantto jinx our good fortune. We have not had any, and I mean any, issues what so ever! It is a 2012 with everything you can imagine, except dishwasher and generator. We wanted to add a dishwasher, but need to install different cabinet. We will add a generator as soon as we can afford it. We use our Dishtv dish from home. We pull up to where ever I am working, call Dish, they come out and point. My slides go in and out as expected. My inside is dry, as expected. We would buy another one in a heartbeat. Everyonehas issues, it is a matter of how you deal with them. Not everyone can afford the luxury of a nice, comfortable home on wheels. Count your blessings and deal with it.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #29

It's unfortunate that the negatives speak louder than the positives on this forum. I guess it's human nature to be quiet about your good fortune. I find our groupis a great resource and will filter out entries that don't interest me.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa

It's unfortunate that the negatives speak louder than the positives on this forum. I guess it's human nature to be quiet about your good fortune. I find our groupis a great resource and will filter out entries that don't interest me.

I have found soooo much information from reading ALL the posts. Yes, it is unfortunate some have have bad experiences (its a good thing I had "short term memory" issues).

Many thanks to ALL who have contributed.
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #31
Site Team

The question from the origanal poster is- "What has your dealer fixed for you?"

Answer: Not one one thing. It has not been back to dealer because nothing is wrong. OK two things-A loose screw in light fixtue and missing grease zerk. A very minor thing. We love our Redwood. Remember- The majority of Redwood owners are not on this forum and most are happy. Forums attract people that are unhappy.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #32

Sure is depressing to read all this the day before we do our PDI. I, too, hope that there are so RW owners out there that will interject their positive experiences. I appreciate all the helpful information we have gotten from this forum. But the negativity is a real downer.

Maybe we should start a topic for complaints and use the others for exchange of info.

Just saying...

Jj
Kev n JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #33

That is why I ask what has your dealer done for you?
Old 04-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #34

It is what it is, these are real stories of problems that are happening to us. Having it in the shop 2 out of the 4 months I've had it doesn't make me happy, I keep thinking once they get the bugs out it will be okay, but I started another list. I go to the Montana Owners online and they are in California enjoying their RV's, maybe there is something to them being #1 for 11 years straight, who knows. I'll keep the Redwood until the extended warranty is over and see where they are then.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #35

like some of you I obtained my unit out of state. .It's a 2 1/2 hr drive to the dealer so i'm not quick for a fast return. When i picked up my unit the dealer spent a good 4 hrs going over systems and details i"m not new the the camping world in fact thats how I met my wife over 40 yrs ago i know tthat its a lot of money you pay out and some think there being short changed lets face it this is a throw-a-way house in ten years its down to almost nothing. I was more fussey on this unit then any other i ever had. 26 items that i needed address three i fixed myself the fest was done by the dealer and handled quite well. this form has added some insight as to problems that may arise in the future and i'm greatful for this. at work we have a saying. if your going to bitch go home thats my 2bucks worth
Old 04-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #36
par

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant
We bought ours out of State and I've slept in it for 2 days about 3 miles from the Dealer.As planned, we left it and my TV at the Dealer and flew home to allow for any post PDI repairs, which there were a few.

Today I fly back with all my family to bring it home, but the joy has pretty much been killed by all this doom and gloom. Shame on me for reading a forum. I should realize it's about 3 or 4 representing a few hundred that seem to perpetuate the negative conversations about the product, just as they do on any other forums, but it still starts to grind on a new owner.

I'm moving on to happier places and thanks for all the help I received from the other 3 or 4 that seem to actually enjoy talking about Redwood. I'm sure I'll never see any of you at a rally, because I know now my Redwood could never actually never get very far from a Dealer and it is uninhabitable for the most part. But at least we are all in the same sinking ship, eh! Maybe I'll have nothing but trouble and I too can join in on the pity party, but I have higher hopes at this point.

I think I'll have a drink
Atom Ant - my sentiments exactly!!! My unit is expected to arrive mid June and right now this forum is a kill joy.
It has been a source of information for me and would like to thank all of those who are enthusiastic about their units and who have been really helpful. Forums are open to everyone but in my case I was hoping to see dialog on issues and how they were solved, not this seemingly endless bashing of Redwood.
Over and out!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #37

Atom ant and Par. Yes. You rock!

Jj
Kev n JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #38

Mine is new too, Manufacturer date is December 27th, 2012 and I didn't get it until I think January 21, 2013. I haven't had it 4 months and got to say we hit a lot of Louisiana State Parks trying it out as the dealer requested before we travel any distance. My list has been completed by the dealer and I am pleased with that. I had a three month inspection and my next one is at five months, I didn't realize they were this often. They sold six Redwoods the same week I bought, so maybe it is just something they are staying on top of. The test will be when we go from Louisiana to Oregon/Washington. Got to say I am well covered on insurance/Warranties for the Redwood and F450.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev n JJ
Sure is depressing to read all this the day before we do our PDI. I, too, hope that there are so RW owners out there that will interject their positive experiences. I appreciate all the helpful information we have gotten from this forum. But the negativity is a real downer.

Maybe we should start a topic for complaints and use the others for exchange of info.

Just saying...

Jj

Well said.

I have had only minor complaints with my dealer and no complaints with Redwood about my coach. In fact, even my dealer felt so bad about a delay in getting a recall issue resolved that they did not charge me for any of the work that I had them do, all of which was minor.

Edited by: hoosierguy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #40

Hoosier...what was the recall and is there a central "storehouse" for recall info?
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote