Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #1

I've been negotiating with my local Redwood dealer and also got a quote from a dealer in Indiana. The quote in Indiana was really good, and my local dealer is getting close to the one in Indiana, but still a few thousand off. However, the local salesman told me that they 'could not do any warranty work' if I bought the Redwood in Indiana. Do any of you know if this is true? I know that this is not the case with Keystone products. I'd like to deal locally, and will give a couple of thousand to do so, but I did not like the 'threat' on warranty work. Any info would be appreciated.
Pigdoc

pigdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #2

I believe a few others on the Forum have run into that problem. Not sure if they can totally refuse to do warranty work, but you will be put on the bottom of the priority list. Ran into a similar problem with a Chevy, broke down 50 miles for the selling dealer, dealer I went to flat out told me to take it back where I bought it if I wanted it fixed. If you're full timers, sometimes you can sweet talk them and explain the circumstances and maybe get them to fix you in, maybe. Good luck and hope you become an RW owner soon.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

pigdoc
Let someone at RW know what your local dealer has said regarding the warranty work...They should have shown you on their customer wall a contract with RW that says no matter where you buy they will takke good care of you
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #4

It's my understanding from the factory that any crossroads dealer is authorized to do warranty work.We purchased our 2013 40KB from CW in new York at the Hershey show.After initial maiden voyage in October we found ourselves needing warranty work.As there is no RW dealer close to me here in Baltimore,I called the factory and they told me any crossroads dealer,fortunately right up the street,so that's where it is now.That said they said you can call the twenty four hour hotline and they can make sure for you that where you want to get service is an authorized service center because not all selling dealers can do service,which I found interesting.So you just need to look at the crossroads we bite or call the hotline.Good Luck.So far RW has stood right by my issues.
CampingCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:56 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigdoc
I've been negotiating with my local Redwood dealer and also got a quote from a dealer in Indiana. The quote in Indiana was really good, and my local dealer is getting close to the one in Indiana, but still a few thousand off. However, the local salesman told me that they 'could not do any warranty work' if I bought the Redwood in Indiana. Do any of you know if this is true? I know that this is not the case with Keystone products. I'd like to deal locally, and will give a couple of thousand to do so, but I did not like the 'threat' on warranty work. Any info would be appreciated.
Pigdoc

That's the dumb leverage that a dealer will use to try to force people to buy from them. If only the dealer that sells you your RV is going to service it.....what happens when you're on the road? If a dealer says that they only service RVs that they sell while you're negotiating a deal.... RUN to the door and don't look back. I bought my trailer just outside of Kansas City and I haven't been back since. Don't get me wrong, I'm a business owner and therefore I want to keep money local as much as possible BUT ...there's a limit to my generosity.

It's up to you how far you'll drive for a good deal but I figured on 8 hour drive. So I drew a circle on a map that I could cover in 8 hours and those are the dealers I worked with. I tried to work with the closest which was 3 hours away but it just didn't work.

I ended up buying my "RL" at "Lifestyles RV" in Grain Valley MO (Richard) and they treated me pretty good. Unfortunately they already shot me a price for a "BR" and I'm going to shop around some more but I still think they're good folks.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #6

I used to live in Iowa and bought my Redwood from Webster City RV. I traded in my Montana fifth wheel that I had prior to moving to Iowa when I bought the Redwood. Webster City RV serviced my Montana for six years prior to my purchasing the new coach and they never once, denied me any form of service or warranty work. In fact, I cannot recall a time in which I waited over 2 days to get my coach into their shop. I no longer live in Iowa and they are not the closest Redwood dealer to my current location, but I still went back and bought from them as they have always provided me with top notch service and make me feel like I am their only customer each and every time I go there or call with a question. It is of my opinion that any dealer that uses the "we wont work on it if you buy somewhere else" should NOT get your hard earned money. I'd buy across the state or region before I would allow threats to persuade my decision/buying abilities. In my 14 years of RV ownership, I've never had a dealer deny my service because of where I bought my coach. I guess it must be a sign of the times and the current economy.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
Site Team

Thanks for the information Enroute.....I'll call "Webster City RV" and see what price they'll offer on a BR as I shop around and see if they want a 2012 trade-in.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #8

We are full timers and travel throughout this great country. Our RL came with a Route 66 service package. It is a network of RV service centers across the US. Whenever we need service we look for one of those dealers and are put on the top of their priority list, often bumping people who already had their RV's in for service. Haven't been disappointed yet.

Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #9

I agree with the statements above. Any dealer that refuses service because you purchased from someone else is not worth your business. These scare tactics will not endear anyone to the dealer. You vote with your dollars so give them to the best dealers that really want your business.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #10

Thanks for all your inputs, I've sent this question to Redwood and I'm waiting their clarification. As to Webster City RV, this is the dealer whose salesman we have been negotiating with, and who threatened to not service the unit if we purchased from 'out east', but who we have had excellent service from in the past, on a Keystone unit that we purchased from a dealer in MN (since Webster City did not have the model available). So I'm not sure if the salesman was just frustrated knowing he could not match the out of state price, or if this is truly their attitude towards Redwood RV's bought elsewhere. The young man I was dealing with was a pleasure to deal with, until I asked him to 'get close' to the out of state price. Hopefully I can continue to deal with this dealership, but I'll have see what their true attitude is, and if they are obligated to do warranty service on a Redwood purchased from out of state. I hope to join ya'll as Redwood owners, but we'll see. Thanks again for your inputs.
Pigdoc

pigdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #11
Site Team

Pigdoc,

When I was at the factory for service I found out that the dealership make out pretty good on what they charge the factory for warranty work. I find it hard to believe that they would refuse to make money when they have the opportunity.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #12

I cant believe people are so out of it....

A dealer does NOT have to service anything!

Would you if you owned a dealership and your customer bought 12 hours away to save $3000??

Lets talk the sale . ( 1 )Dealers take care of their customers first even if it cost them money ! It happened to me and lots of you. Dont lie. ( 2 ) 12 hours away equals $1500 more in freight

( 3 ) Warranty does not pay to cover the costs...ask your dealer.

So a " non " customer comes in and wants his water heater fixed...It takes 2.5 hours..the Factory pays 1.3 hours...guess what ..THEY LOOSE MONEY!

That is why dealers Cant afford to work on units they dont sell.

OHH , now you all get it.

Its not that they are mad..they simply cant afford to.

Shame on you all for not supporting your local city and schools and churches and roads ...just because you are all a bunch of cheap wads.

I shopped the "Wholesale" dealers and i could save $4000 , i spent $3000 more because freight was more and the Local service was important to me.

When i had my ceiling panels fall down out of warrenty , my dealer did it for free..Yes ..he took care of me because i bought from him and he made a profit off me, so he treats me like family . I love it!

You all keep going out of state to save money, then complain when the service sucks....i am going to enjoy my camping....service and all !

beuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #13

What's that yellow stuff in your Corn Flakes?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #14

Thanks Grandpa, i laughed ....just sick of people complaining that there local dealer cant afford to work on units purchased elsewhere. Why cant they understand?

If i owned a dealership and my own brother bought elsewhere, i would dis own him ......Oh well....im supporting my community..
beuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #15
Site Team

Sounds like another dealer
Old 02-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #16

I don't know if any of you are familiar with Cobalt Boats out of Kansas, but they build a nice boat. However, when I tried to look at one in Idaho at a boat show about 5 years ago, I was quickly told that they could show it to me, but that I had to buy at the Denver Dealer!!!. Not only that, If it broke down on the road, the purchasing Dealer had first rights to the repair, even if it meant towing it across state (paid by warranty of course). The only way the local Dealer could work on it was if they had permission from the selling Dealer.

I complained to Cobalt about how crummy we were treated at the show, and the vice president wrote back and quickly came to the defense of the Dealer and said that was in fact their policy. It is their way of ensuring all of the Dealers stay busy, and that one Dealer can't outbid the other. He then offered to introduce me to the Denver dealers...

I don't think I will ever own a Cobalt for that reason, and I sure hope that policy never spreads into 5ers.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #17

Good Luck with your paying more philosophy, I'm sure your dealer loves you, and would do anything to get your biz. Just one question do you by chance drive all american owned and operated vehicles? that would also help

Old 02-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wright
Good Luck with your paying more philosophy, I'm sure your dealer loves you, and would do anything to get your biz.Â* Just one question do you by chance drive all american owned and operated vehicles?Â* that would also help

I've spent several years in the auto industry hauling car parts to factories. ....there's no such thing as an American made car or truck
Old 02-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #19

The dealer is starving... I don't think so.

Dealers sign an agreement with Redwood not to trun away any warranty work from any owners. That's the price they may pay for the right to makes sales occasionally at huge margins from unsuspecting buyers.They are well compensated for their service work - in or out of warranty. It's just another sales tactic. What's next... "show your papers" when you have a failure traveling on a trip? Besides, isyour Ford, GM or Chrysler dealer turning away work from customers who purchased from other dealers? I think not. They're happy to get an additional paying customer.

This forum lists many occasions where dealer procrastination or inexperience has tied up their unit for weeks during prime travel season. Customers switch dealers for a number of reasons.

Everyone in the sales cycle has the opportunity to profit. Dealers have the opportunity during the sale, and then again on the work after the sale. You don't...

Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #20

When we were shopping for our RW (living then in VT), we got prices from the dealer in our home state, one in MA (who we'd bought our prior 5er from) and several others up and down the east coast. The dealer in MA gave us the "If you don't buy it here, we won't service it" routine.He wanted $15,000 more for the rig than we finally ended up paying and refused to budge. On top of all that, he told me a bunch of lies about what I would and wouldn't get from any out of area dealer I foundon the web. I would NEVER go back there and will NEVER recommendthis dealer (well, maybe to someone I really hated). The one in VT was about $6,000 more than the final price we negotiated and very nicely said he just didn't have any more room to play, but bring it there for service no matter where we bought. We ended up buying at Lazydays in FL, have had it back for service (we're on the road and just happened to be in their area). They gave us an unbelievable price, treated us like royalty, and scheduled us right away for our warraty work. I'd buy there again in a heartbeat.