Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2015, 07:56 AM   #1

Used 2013 36RL - Thoughts?

Greetings one and All,

My wife and I have been bunk house rv folks with 8 kids and are finally down to 2 that go regularly. We are looking to exit the bunk house world and get more living space and build quality. Since we are both full time realtors we never go far so we can always work, but prefer the comfort of extended stay/long term RV's.

We happened upon a loaded up 2013 RW 36RL with Parks Package, FT Living Package, convection, 12cubic fridge, 5100 BTU fireplace, hide a bed, quartz counters, 30000 BTU with heat pump on AC, water filtration, and dual pane windows. Condition and tread wear appears excellent although I noted a few minor items that the dealer would take care of.

That's the product. Now for our assessment and questions:

We are NOT full timers, only travel about 5 times a year for very short distances and then maybe one long trip a season which is about 500 miles one way. We have long admired the RW and we know we could easily keep this for many years as our family is not getting bigger.

But, I know I'm going to be pushing weight since I currently tow with a 2500HD diesel Crew LTZ with tow prep running a Bully Dog tow tune. We travel light but kids and dogs make up for lack of long term clothing, no generator, and no W/D.

Just not sure it's worth the risk. The other products we like are new, and for example, also come with a 16k GVWR (solitude 305 or 375 by Grand Design) and also push nearly 80k when this Redwood is not.

At 59k the redwood seems well priced. But am I going to be buying a DRW within a year when my truck is almost paid off?

I am also thinking of waiting until Dec/Jan/Feb to buy and hope to find similar quality around 60k...is it worth waiting for new in the fall or keep looking for RW's until I can get the DRW long box (which I've regretted not buying since day one but I stupidly let myself get talked out of it (I use the box all the time helping people move, etc).

Any feedback on price, timing of purchase, Grand Design, weight, towing truck, is all much appreciated. We have a great deal of respect for Redwood and find many features similar to modern homes.

WarrenR
WarrenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:05 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenR View Post
Greetings one and All,

My wife and I have been bunk house rv folks with 8 kids and are finally down to 2 that go regularly. We are looking to exit the bunk house world and get more living space and build quality. Since we are both full time realtors we never go far so we can always work, but prefer the comfort of extended stay/long term RV's.

We happened upon a loaded up 2013 RW 36RL with Parks Package, FT Living Package, convection, 12cubic fridge, 5100 BTU fireplace, hide a bed, quartz counters, 30000 BTU with heat pump on AC, water filtration, and dual pane windows. Condition and tread wear appears excellent although I noted a few minor items that the dealer would take care of.

That's the product. Now for our assessment and questions:

We are NOT full timers, only travel about 5 times a year for very short distances and then maybe one long trip a season which is about 500 miles one way. We have long admired the RW and we know we could easily keep this for many years as our family is not getting bigger.

But, I know I'm going to be pushing weight since I currently tow with a 2500HD diesel Crew LTZ with tow prep running a Bully Dog tow tune. We travel light but kids and dogs make up for lack of long term clothing, no generator, and no W/D.

Just not sure it's worth the risk. The other products we like are new, and for example, also come with a 16k GVWR (solitude 305 or 375 by Grand Design) and also push nearly 80k when this Redwood is not.

At 59k the redwood seems well priced. But am I going to be buying a DRW within a year when my truck is almost paid off?

I am also thinking of waiting until Dec/Jan/Feb to buy and hope to find similar quality around 60k...is it worth waiting for new in the fall or keep looking for RW's until I can get the DRW long box (which I've regretted not buying since day one but I stupidly let myself get talked out of it (I use the box all the time helping people move, etc).

Any feedback on price, timing of purchase, Grand Design, weight, towing truck, is all much appreciated. We have a great deal of respect for Redwood and find many features similar to modern homes.

WarrenR
Warren
Any of the trailers you mention that are 16k gvw more than likely should have a drw pulling them. Unless you find one that has a really light pin weight.. The 36rl has an empty pin weight of around 3200lbs. Your 2500 has the same differential engine and transmission that is used in the 1 ton your limitations are you tires and rims that will be overloaded. Your truck will pull it and stop it ok. A drw is more stable when towing these big trailers as well as legal. If you are only towing short distances and take it easy you could get by until you can get a new truck
Old 07-19-2015, 03:45 PM   #3

Warren, simply put, that's not enough truck. The 36RL is a nose heavy rig, (not all Redwoods are such as the FL) and no matter how you try to justify it, the numbers don't match.

Within a month of bringing home our wonderful 36RL, we found that even our 1-ton was overloaded, and had to go get another truck that I hadn't planned. When I say overloaded, I mean we even exceeded the maximum tire rating on the truck.

You should probably consider a bigger truck if you are looking to move forward in that lifestyle.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote