Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #21

G tires are 16" wheels, and H are 17.5" wheels, even though the overall diameter is nearly the same.

As far as 8K axles - I've included them in our package just because of the hassles I have always had with axles, and for unit (36RL)that dry weights at 13,400 lbs andGVWR 16,000 lbs, that isonly a 2,600lb payload. Too little for that size ofrig - as I already have a larger payload than that with our rig now and the extra water load Redwood has would push me over the maximum GVWR before I even got started.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant

G tires are 16" wheels, and H are 17.5" wheels, even though the overall diameter is nearly the same.Â*
Â*
As far as 8K axles - I've included them in our package just because of the hassles I have always had with axles, and for unit (36RL)Â*that dry weights at 13,400 lbs andÂ*GVWR 16,000 lbs, that isÂ*only a 2,600lb payload.Â* Too little for that size ofÂ*rig - as I already have a larger payload than that with our rig now and the extra water load Redwood has would push me over the maximum GVWR before I even got started.Â*
Lifestyle rv has the Goodyear H 17.5 with the Mor IS 8k system as a option.

Lillyputz
lillyputz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #23

They seem to be a nice unit - and I was a little shocked to see they are underpricing Redwood
Old 02-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant

G tires are 16" wheels, and H are 17.5" wheels, even though the overall diameter is nearly the same.

As far as 8K axles - I've included them in our package just because of the hassles I have always had with axles, and for unit (36RL)that dry weights at 13,400 lbs andGVWR 16,000 lbs, that isonly a 2,600lb payload. Too little for that size ofrig - as I already have a larger payload than that with our rig now and the extra water load Redwood has would push me over the maximum GVWR before I even got started.
I can't blame you for wanting the 8k axles, if I was to reorder a Redwood I'd do the same thing. By adding the G rated tires they raise the GVW to 16,500. My RL is pretty much fully loaded and I still have a carrying capacity of 2570.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #25

I didn't realize the tire change would take it up to 16,500. That sheds a bit of a different light on things. I also didn't know the wheels were different. Thanks Dave.

on edit - the 8K still don't add up to much as an option.
Edited by: atom ant
Old 02-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #26

what part oj central jersey ???
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:18 AM   #27

Hopewell.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #28

Thinking of ordering a RW36RL but the 11,000 paint job astonished me. With the exception of aesthetics, is there anything else that $11000 paint job do for you? Is there only one Awning on the 36RL? are there slide toppers?
dnghz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #29

Yes, with full paint you do not have to worry about the decals pealing off down the road. And, yes you can order a second awning, awning covers, and slide toppers for additional $.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #30

I'm trying to rationalize the cost of the paint job by hoping that it will increase resale value. The 36FL has one awning and no toppers on any of the slide-outs. I was concerned about this since my Arctic Fox has toppers. Honestly though, I can do without the toppers since they were difficult to clean and rain water which collected never drained naturally. I had a long handled broom specifically for pushing off the water.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #31

The 36rl comes with one awning. A second awning is available as an option. Slide toppers are also an option. As far as the paint job (and all other options) goes, remember that $11000 is the list price -- you'll "only" payabout 60% of list. That said, we opted toskip the custom paint job and put that money into creature comforts inside. It's an individual preference -- different things are important to different people!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #32

Not just retail on the paint, but I'm hoping it eliminates UV yellowing on the plastic parts such as the range vent and trim, and it should eliminate the problem with peeling graphics (because there are none). On the other side, maybe it will create new problems, who knows.

We did the 2nd awning because I would want to add one later anyway. Slide toppers we have never had any use for. I watch too many people spending camp time trying to make them stop flapping in the wind.

Play the math - some of the options are excellent values and some not. For example, if you like the Tri-glide, it's only about a $320 add at the factory, but $1200 later. W/D is about the same either way because they have it marked pretty high. G tires, not a good factory price, but if the wheels need changed to do it later, maybe its a break even and less hassle from the factory. 8k axles - disc brakes, probably about the same either way but what a hassle to do it later.

We just got a call about whether we wanted a 2nd heat pump - of course yes, because I would probably always miss it, but would never go to the expense to add it later.Edited by: atom ant
Old 03-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #33

I can let you know the price for changing to Goodyear G614's (5), steel rims, valves, balancing and install as our dealer is currently pricing for me. Should have a number by end of the week.

Their regular supplier initially quoted $1350 for 5 tires, valves and balancing. The supplier recommended using the existing rims. I declined and specified the Goodyears c/w steel rims.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperguy
I agree with John.Â* Until you actually take delivery and pay the rest of the balance, you're still in the negotiating seat.Â* Definitely put the "G"s on it.Â*Â* You're gonna love the coach, we bought ours with the same reaction when we walked in.
Â*
When you get it, if you're headed south a bit, let us know and we can have a couple of Redwoods at a campground.Â* We're headed to the Outer Banks probably 2nd weekend in March if anyone wants to go .
I don't think G rated are enough, I have been looking at Michelin J rated that will handle 6K to 8K pounds, this way if you do have a flat the other tire can handle the max weight by itself.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #35

Technically, the G's are perfectly adequate 3,750# X 4 = 15,000# Considering pin weight in excess of 3,000# and you'll be fine with G rated tires. On the other hand, you can't beat the peace of mind that you'll have with the J's.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #36

The J's would have been a nice option with the 8K axles. Unfortunately redwood derates the 8K axle option to the 15,000 lbs limit of theLRG tires.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:55 AM   #37

When we bought our brand new 2013 36FB back in July, 2013, it was a lot spec model at LazyDays in Tampa. With the options it had including full body paint and a MSRP of just over $118K we were quite pleased to purchase it at a clearance price of less than 70K ( tax/tag/dealer prep/etc included). The one important thing it did not have was the 8K Mor/ryde IS with hydraulic disc brakes ( a must for me if I'm going to travel a lot), plus the heavier rims and G-rated tires. To get these options we would have had to:
1. Order the same FP and have it built to these specs thus loosing the good clearance price offered on the spec model. Plus give up the full body paint due to cost.

or

2. Take advantage of the greatly reduced price, plus make a decision to sign the dotted line on a unit we've actually gotten to see the quality (or lack thereof) of the build.

We chose #2. Why? Because in our two years researching before buying, plus fallowing both the RV NADA values on used along with actual adds for late model used, we knew we were not going to be upside down in debt/value on this unit within the first 2-3 years. Plus with the savings on the original purchase price, we felt we would easily be able to add the 6-8K option at a later date and it not be financed into a 15-20 year RV loan.

We went right into the Redwood as our full time residence but currently do not travel with it. Once fully retired from our trucking business in the next 1-2years, it is then that we will have the axles and wheels upgraded so that we can travel with the unit and not worry.

I would not give up the full body paint for axles and wheels if it were me, having had the gel coated fiberglass and vinyl graphics on our first fiver. If the dealer cannot cut a deal so that you can have both upfront, consider a way to add later. The FBP is a much more expensive option and harder to add later IMO. Even after we add these option ourselves, we will feel we still got a good price, even with the added expense after the sale.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHage View Post
When we bought our brand new 2013 36FB back in July, 2013, it was a lot spec model at LazyDays in Tampa. With the options it had including full body paint and a MSRP of just over $118K we were quite pleased to purchase it at a clearance price of less than 70K ( tax/tag/dealer prep/etc included). The one important thing it did not have was the 8K Mor/ryde IS with hydraulic disc brakes ( a must for me if I'm going to travel a lot), plus the heavier rims and G-rated tires. To get these options we would have had to:
1. Order the same FP and have it built to these specs thus loosing the good clearance price offered on the spec model. Plus give up the full body paint due to cost.

or

2. Take advantage of the greatly reduced price, plus make a decision to sign the dotted line on a unit we've actually gotten to see the quality (or lack thereof) of the build.

We chose #2. Why? Because in our two years researching before buying, plus fallowing both the RV NADA values on used along with actual adds for late model used, we knew we were not going to be upside down in debt/value on this unit within the first 2-3 years. Plus with the savings on the original purchase price, we felt we would easily be able to add the 6-8K option at a later date and it not be financed into a 15-20 year RV loan.

We went right into the Redwood as our full time residence but currently do not travel with it. Once fully retired from our trucking business in the next 1-2years, it is then that we will have the axles and wheels upgraded so that we can travel with the unit and not worry.

I would not give up the full body paint for axles and wheels if it were me, having had the gel coated fiberglass and vinyl graphics on our first fiver. If the dealer cannot cut a deal so that you can have both upfront, consider a way to add later. The FBP is a much more expensive option and harder to add later IMO. Even after we add these option ourselves, we will feel we still got a good price, even with the added expense after the sale.
I'm still trying to figure out why they'd put cheap tires on such a nice unit. I'm considering a purchase of a RW, but this makes me wonder what else they might be cheapening in areas I'm not thinking about or seeing. It's my understanding the Goodyear G's are standard now though, so they must have had a change "since" you bought yours.
cofiverdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:41 PM   #39
Site Team

G tires were made standard for the 2014 model year. My personal opinion is that Redwood really didn't expect most of these to be towed the amount of miles that a lot of us are towing them.. A lot of the big Diesel Pushers don't see anywhere near the mileage some of us put on our RW. Mine got towed 6000 miles the first year and has already gone more than 2500 since January this year with much more to come.

I'm planning on doing the MorRyde IS and Kodiak Disc brakes before the summer hopefully.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:10 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofiverdiver View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why they'd put cheap tires on such a nice unit. I'm considering a purchase of a RW, but this makes me wonder what else they might be cheapening in areas I'm not thinking about or seeing. It's my understanding the Goodyear G's are standard now though, so they must have had a change "since" you bought yours.
I don't think Redwood was much different than some of the other higher end manufacturers of fivers before the 2014s came onto the market. I can remember while doing our two years of researching before purchasing our first fiver in Jan, 2013, looking at brand new DRVs with E-rated tires standard on them with the Gs being an upgrade. These were 100K plus units. Why would this and other manufacturers do the same as Redwood then?

As manufacturers constantly look for ways to cut down on production cost, yet keep the quality of the structure/interior/exterior of the units up, one place to save is on the running gear along with rims and tires. Let the customer upgrade at their expense. The market knows many buyers, especially first timers may not see or understand the benefits of having the higher cost option, and until all manufacturers are no standard with the upgrades rather than making them an option, they are not on an even playing field.