Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #41

I'm sorry just frustrated and redwood isn't helping matters
Old 05-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #42

I have learned that Dave will bend over backwards to help; likewise he will defend RW just as much. I am speaking for him now that he tries to keep everything in perspective and on a even keel. I hope he forgives me for ruffling his feathers. I don't think he knew where I was coming from yet.
Full timers Oct 2014
Old 05-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Roadrunners View Post
I have learned that Dave will bend over backwards to help; likewise he will defend RW just as much. I am speaking for him now that he tries to keep everything in perspective and on a even keel. I hope he forgives me for ruffling his feathers. I don't think he knew where I was coming from yet.

I don't hold grudges so don't worry about it "Ramblin Roadrunners".

When someone spends the money on a new RV their heads are full of all the positive thoughts and dreams. But buying an RV is just like having a new baby...there are going to be a few sleepless nights. These bad times tend to stir up a lot of emotions and sometimes these emotions can get the best of us.

I appreciate all your kind words
Old 05-15-2014, 07:14 PM   #44
Traveling

I can speak from experience too. Even tho our RW isn't here yet, I am consumed with worrying about the inevitable boo-boos. I KNOW there will be some, it will just be a question of how serious. We have purchased several new RV's over the years, and I can tell you that it doesn't matter what class you are in price-wise, there is ALWAYS an immediate return to service for repairs. It's sort of the law, or the culture of RV ownership. As I said before, I will be making my service appointment when we take delivery! So, my big dreams of the new rig are severely tempered by the reality of what new RV's are notorious for... Hopefully, my worries will be worse than the reality! That's better than on our FIRST RV when it was the other way around by a long shot!!

HUGE THANKS to Dave, and ALL here who keep a good perspective, and allow that RW love to shine through, even though there have been some tears. That's what Kleenex is for.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:30 PM   #45

Good Dave, I don't hold grudges either.

I have been on these forums long enough to understand there will be problems. That is why I am ordering before I will be depending on the RV for full time living. I fully expect to make repairs myself and have the RV back to the dealer for some problems to be discovered at a future date. That is the reality of RV ownership. RW is responsible for the RV design and engineering, picking the bolt on products (hardware, appliances etc.) and doing a quality installation along with quality control.
Full timers Oct 2014
Old 05-15-2014, 07:53 PM   #46
Site Team

There are a lot of GREAT folks on this forum with a wealth of information. I'm only one of a whole bunch of people, all willing to help. It's this bunch that makes owning a Redwood fun
Old 05-15-2014, 10:41 PM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUOE150 View Post
I'm sorry just frustrated and redwood isn't helping matters
Hey, no problem. I still hope that you can work with the people at RW to start getting your problems resolved. I am disappointed that RW has not been more helpful as most of us have had a good experience with them. Give them a chance to work with you. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:22 AM   #48

I have had good luck with our Redwood, so this statement doesn't apply to it, but there have been other situations. I have found that the response you get for a problem has a lot to do with the way you attack it. If you present the problem with hay in your horns, you are starting off on the wrong foot. Chances are the person you are addressing has nothing to do with the cause of the problem. Present the problem without placing blame. Be calm and don't get argumentative. Don't knock the reasons he gives that may be the cause of the problem. If you find he can't or won't handle the problem, calmly move up the line.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:41 AM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflame View Post
I have had good luck with our Redwood, so this statement doesn't apply to it, but there have been other situations. I have found that the response you get for a problem has a lot to do with the way you attack it. If you present the problem with hay in your horns, you are starting off on the wrong foot. Chances are the person you are addressing has nothing to do with the cause of the problem. Present the problem without placing blame. Be calm and don't get argumentative. Don't knock the reasons he gives that may be the cause of the problem. If you find he can't or won't handle the problem, calmly move up the line.
Great advice rcflame. That has worked well for me even though I was steaming inside.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:30 AM   #50

Hi All,
Have my 2012 38BR at Camping In Style with 2 new issues and 1 ongoing one. The slides do not seem to close tight on all 4 corners and we had a Winter Leak last year and again this year on the Galley slide on the back corner. The dealer called today and told me they had adjusted all the slides as best they can... we will see.

The other stuff is much more troubling...
A "blister" appeared on our shower pan inside at the doorway this winter... touching it resulting in a hole the size of a nickel and about 1/4 inch deep. Dealer is trying to find a 3rd party to fix the acrylic to match.
Our unit is the 2012 two tone brown... the top of both the front and back caps have faded almost white... as a sailboat owner I thought maybe a little big of elbow grease would fix it up... no joy. Dealer needs to line up a 3rd party to repaint both caps when our camping season is over. Dealer said this is a known issue and they are booked up till mid July already.
All repairs covered by Redwood... have a 35 year old sailboat that has not faded like my Redwood. Hope this is a one off problem.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:33 AM   #51
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPAjax View Post
Hi All,
Have my 2012 38BR at Camping In Style with 2 new issues and 1 ongoing one. The slides do not seem to close tight on all 4 corners and we had a Winter Leak last year and again this year on the Galley slide on the back corner. The dealer called today and told me they had adjusted all the slides as best they can... we will see.

A "blister" appeared on our shower pan inside at the doorway this winter... touching it resulting in a hole the size of a nickel and about 1/4 inch deep. Dealer is trying to find a 3rd party to fix the acrylic to match.
Our unit is the 2012 two tone brown... the top of both the front and back caps have faded almost white... as a sailboat owner I thought maybe a little big of elbow grease would fix it up... no joy. Dealer needs to line up a 3rd party to repaint both caps when our camping season is over. Dealer said this is a known issue and they are booked up till mid July already.
All repairs covered by Redwood... have a 35 year old sailboat that has not faded like my Redwood. Hope this is a one off problem.
Sorry to hear about your shower! I hope they get get it fixed to your satisfaction. The fiberglass fading seems to be an industry wide problem because several of the manufactures with the tented fiberglass have had the same issue. I guess they should have consulted the boat people.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:39 AM   #52

BradPAjax - my 2012 is currently at my dealer in CA getting the front and rear caps repainted. If you are coming up on your warranty end date, you may want to contact Redwood/CrossRoads and request that they place a note in your file that you have reported the fading issue and it will be repaired under warranty. I did this on my unit because I was work camping and living in it full time, so it was not possible to get it into the dealers before my warranty official ran out. RW is very aware of the paint fading issue on earlier units.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:40 AM   #53

Rcflame that's how it started out now it's almost a year later and still dealing with them. after all they claim to rectify and stand behind their products and that's great, if they did . This is second time in shop and they have had it two months waiting on parts I was at the repair facility when talking to mark Quinn even talked to him and he promised parts they have been waiting for at the repair shop sent their driver to pick them up and they had none, not one. 2014 38GK
Old 05-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPAjax View Post
Hi All,

You were on the right track regarding the front and rear caps. The tan color is actually the color of the Gelcoat all the way through. To remove the oxidation, use an orbital buffer with rubbing compound and then rewax it. Should be good to go.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #55

We took delivery of our 2014 38 GK in December of 2013. It was a unit on the lot, and had most of the things we wanted. The microwave has been recalled on this unit and Crossroads said that Fridgidaire will come to our location for repairs. I'm waiting for a call from them to come and fix it. The handle on the rear escape window broke off and the facility in Fort Worth wants us to bring it in because they want to replace the window. We are full-timers and have everything we own in our unit as well as our pets. We have nowhere to go while the unit is being repaired, so this places a hardship on us. Our dealership doesn't offer overnight camping. I don't understand why the window can't be ordered BEFORE we bring it in so the time it has to be in the shop would be minimal. The black water tank leaks constantly so any time we drained it, we got the "shower of shame". We went to an RV store and got a gate valve to stop this, and I hope that works. Our living room slide didn't fit and the fender flair was blowing out in the wind and tore. Our dealer fixed it as good as they could but told us that it was a design flaw that Redwood can't do anything about. Our slide-outs are leaving grease on our carpets that won't come out. I've had a coach before but this is our first fifth wheel. There were numerous small water leaks under the sinks and around the kitchen sink that we've repaired ourselves. These are mostly small repairs except for the slide-outs and the window. I understand the frustration because when you spend over $100,000 for something it should not have the problems we have had. I blame the dealer for poor customer service. Over all however, we love our Redwood and hope that for future owners the major issues can be worked out.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:23 PM   #56

The handle on the window broke off? How, I ask because sometimes parts are just easier to order from the part manufacturer. Last year a guy with a weed wacker broke a window on our camper. The dealer six weeks later ordered the wrong window, another six weeks and he forgot to order it. I called Kinro got a window in a week at at 1/3 the cost I was quoted by the dealer. Sometimes if the fix isn't to costly it pays to do it yorself. I waited 12 weeks for the dealer and fixed it myself in a week for $100.00.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #57
Traveling

We definitely do a lot of our own repairs. There is also a very real cost to us just to GET the rig TO the dealer in both time and fuel. Sometimes it doesnt pencil out to have them fix something.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:42 PM   #58

I also fixed a lot of stuff already, but carpet window and the new storage compartment door is above and beyond what I'm willing to do.the sliders toar up carpet in living room slide out has to come out
Old 05-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #59
Traveling

Absolutely agree there are many repairs that we would never attempt! for those of us who are full time it is a huge inconvenience and expense to have the rig in the shop for extended periods of time. I need to check my full timers insurance to see if there is allowances for the expenses that come up because of this. I think there is. I know they are limited, but at least its something.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:33 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnandDeb View Post
We took delivery of our 2014 38 GK in December of 2013. It was a unit on the lot, and had most of the things we wanted. The microwave has been recalled on this unit and Crossroads said that Fridgidaire will come to our location for repairs. I'm waiting for a call from them to come and fix it. The handle on the rear escape window broke off and the facility in Fort Worth wants us to bring it in because they want to replace the window. We are full-timers and have everything we own in our unit as well as our pets. We have nowhere to go while the unit is being repaired, so this places a hardship on us. Our dealership doesn't offer overnight camping. I don't understand why the window can't be ordered BEFORE we bring it in so the time it has to be in the shop would be minimal. The black water tank leaks constantly so any time we drained it, we got the "shower of shame". We went to an RV store and got a gate valve to stop this, and I hope that works. Our living room slide didn't fit and the fender flair was blowing out in the wind and tore. Our dealer fixed it as good as they could but told us that it was a design flaw that Redwood can't do anything about. Our slide-outs are leaving grease on our carpets that won't come out. I've had a coach before but this is our first fifth wheel. There were numerous small water leaks under the sinks and around the kitchen sink that we've repaired ourselves. These are mostly small repairs except for the slide-outs and the window. I understand the frustration because when you spend over $100,000 for something it should not have the problems we have had. I blame the dealer for poor customer service. Over all however, we love our Redwood and hope that for future owners the major issues can be worked out.
Check some of the older posts on this or the other forum, as some owners have installed additional braces in the fenders and reported good results.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Closed Thread