Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #1

We want to buy a full time RV and are in love with the Redwood, but my brother insists that I take a look at the DRV Mobile Suites and Mobile Estates first. I won't go into detail as to why he didn't particularly like the Redwood, but there are several concerns. Mobile Suites has more bling in their homes and are heavier with steel construction and all come standard with dishwasher, disposal and residential fridges, of which we would not get. Does anyone have any thoughts about if they have compared and what would be the better RV? Much thanks for your input. Len and DeeJay

deejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #2

Yes, buy a New Horizon "Majestic" if money is no object.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay
We want to buy a full time RV and are in love with the Redwood, but my brother insists that I take a look at the DRV Mobile Suites and Mobile Estates first. I won't go into detail as to why he didn't particularly like the Redwood, but there are several concerns. Mobile Suites has more bling in their homes and are heavier with steel construction and all come standard with dishwasher, disposal and residential fridges, of which we would not get. Does anyone have any thoughts about if they have compared and what would be the better RV? Much thanks for your input. Len and DeeJay
I'm not going to bash the "Mobile Suites" because they're a good unit. Thankfully, there are several good full time units on the market right now. I've talked with people that have them and some love them and others not so much. I was at a campground last spring and one guy was bashing the Redwood because of the "Lippert" frame but his buddy who also has a "Mobile Suite" said that his "Mobile Suite" had the same"Lippert frame as the Redwood (I'm not sure which one was right).

All the RVs are going to have problems because they're rolling earth quakes. I love my Redwood but I'm looking forward to seeing the Carriage. As Buddy has said, "New Horrizon" is the "Mercedies" of the RV's but be prepared to pull something heavy and bring a big check book.

Buy whats right for you. Thankfully the RV industry is changing by the day for the better.

Happy Trails!
Old 07-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay
We want to buy a full time RV and are in love with the Redwood, but my brother insists that I take a look at the DRV Mobile Suites and Mobile Estates first.Â* I won't go into detail as to why he didn't particularly like the Redwood, but there are several concerns. Mobile Suites has more bling in their homes and are heavier with steel construction and all come standard with dishwasher, disposal and residential fridges, of which we would not get. Â* Does anyone have any thoughts about if they have compared and what would be the better RV?Â* Much thanks for your input.Â* Len and DeeJay
I'm not going to bash the "Mobile Suites" because they're a good unit.Â* Thankfully, there are several good full time units on the market right now.Â* I've talked with people that have them and some love them and others not so much.Â* I was at a campground last spring and one guy was bashing the Redwood because of the "Lippert" frame but his buddy who also has a "Mobile Suite" said that his "Mobile Suite" had the same"Lippert frame as the Redwood (I'm not sure which one was right).

All the RVs are going to have problems because they're rolling earth quakes.Â* I love my Redwood but I'm looking forward to seeing the Carriage.Â* As Buddy has said, "New Horrizon" is the "Mercedies" of the RV's but be prepared to pull something heavy and bring a big check book.

Buy whats right for you.Â* Thankfully the RV industry is changing by the day for the better.

Happy Trails!
You said it better, I would probable get a freightliner to pull it and I have a Ford F-450. I'm well satisfied, this is my 1st RV ever, I didn't even have a pup tent before her. I too am interest in seeing the Carriage, maybe they will give us a good trade in when it comes time to buy again.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #5

Our Dealer sells both - and they both spend some time in the shop. Nature of the beast.

DRV uses a 15" Lippert frame and 8K axles with 17.5" wheels. As a result of that and other things - they are heavy.

They will also be higher in cost.

By all means, check them. The only ones you need to keep happy are yourselves.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
Site Team

This last May I was at a campground in Florida that was owned by a big RV dealer that sold both Redwood and Mobile Suites. I looked around a couple of the Mobile Suites and I didn't see anything I liked over the Redwood but maybe I wasn't looking at the right ones.

Either way, as long as there's good competition between RV manufactures, the end consumer wins. Let the fun begin
Old 07-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #7

First of all, thanks for the replies. Yes they are heavy, heavy, heavy. They have a little more bling like a cabinet that goes over the table like a buffet with compartments to store linens, etc that go down the sides with the tables ability to pull out is nice. But they do not have 48" showers. They are all neo angle showers and they do not have a slide in a slide. Many things to consider and they are half again as expensive as a Redwood. New Horizons cost a ton! Money is an object so we will have to make a decision. Mobile Suites have lots of floorplans in our preferred length of about 38 feet. Lots to choose from. Again thanks. Len and DeeJay

Old 07-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #8

I asked our Redwood Salesman about the new Carriage Thor is coming out with. Our salesman said that Thor is trying to put a Carriage on a Redwood Frame and he said he wouldn't buy a Carriage. Just a thought. I would have no idea about it. Len and DeeJay
Old 07-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #9

I've heard don't hold your breath on the carriage line coming ANY time soon....

so not a fair comparison.... let them focus on building my 38gk first
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #10

I'd say your salesman is making things up. Usually if their lips are moving, they are making things up.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #11

Carriage owned by Redwood is the trailer that is to go head to head with DRV and the like. This was said by Tom Montague whom is Redwood's CEO. Redwood purchased the rights to Carriage in February of 2013. They sent a public press release stating that they have purchased them and will manufacture them with an introduction date of September 2013.

They will have an 18,000 lb. GVWR and will be larger than the Redwood with a higher end interior. Tom's words not mine.

My opinion and just a wild guess: I believe that Redwood moved their Redwood brand to be manufactured at Crossroads facility so that the Carriage brand could be manufactured at the old Redwood facility. If they built the Carriage at the same place as the Redwood you people that live or travel around there would be prematurely checking them out and posting pictures.

Can't wait to see the Carriage.

Dave from Maine
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
Site Team

I have it on a very reliable source, Tom, that Redwoods are still being built at the Redwood facility in Syracuse.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenhardt
I have it on a very reliable source, Tom, that Redwoods are still being built at the Redwood facility in Syracuse.
You are correct... still being built in Syracuse along with two other brands of RV's. When I was at the Crossroads Service Center, I asked how the Carriage was coming. The reply was that they hadn't even finalized on a design yet.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #14
Site Team

I was hoping that they'd have one to show us at the rally but I guess that's a lost hope right now.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:33 AM   #15

I too thought the same. That the Rally would be a great time to show off the new line or at least see what folks thought. As usual got caught thinking again.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsvr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenhardt
You are correct... still being built in Syracuse along with two other brands of RV's. When I was at the Crossroads Service Center, I asked how the Carriage was coming. The reply was that they hadn't even finalized on a design yet.
What are the other two brands?

Dave from Maine
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #17

I'm not sure, why don't you all ask at the rally?
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #18

One of the other brands is the Crossroads Toy Hauler - Elevation. They are also listed on the RW Website

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:59 AM   #19

Just traded my Redwood for a DRV

I just traded my 31SL in for a DRV Elite Suite. It was sad, but I felt like I had no choice. I have had countless issues with my redwood. Months of time in service within the year I have owned it and thousands of dollars in additional repairs.

I'm not going to tell you Redwoods stink, because they don't, but like any trailer manufacturer sometimes a lemon gets out the door. The problems for me personally have been so significant, with no real satisfaction from Redwood or Crossroads. As their final solution was to bring it to their factory repair facility. I live full time in my unit and I'm a travelling therapist. Which I informed them and I also said I couldn't afford more time in service. As of this date I have over two months in different repair facilities. I bought the unit June 30 last year. My problems are well documented and I requested the lemoned this trailer out and allowed me to pay the difference into a model for this year. They were not willing to go that route.

So it shook my confidence in the Product and the support after sale. Which is a shame because I really loved the 39MB model for 2014.

Oh well, I wish all of you great luck with your Redwoods and may you enjoy them for a good long time.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSkwerl View Post
I just traded my 31SL in for a DRV Elite Suite. It was sad, but I felt like I had no choice. I have had countless issues with my redwood. Months of time in service within the year I have owned it and thousands of dollars in additional repairs.

I'm not going to tell you Redwoods stink, because they don't, but like any trailer manufacturer sometimes a lemon gets out the door. The problems for me personally have been so significant, with no real satisfaction from Redwood or Crossroads. As their final solution was to bring it to their factory repair facility. I live full time in my unit and I'm a travelling therapist. Which I informed them and I also said I couldn't afford more time in service. As of this date I have over two months in different repair facilities. I bought the unit June 30 last year. My problems are well documented and I requested the lemoned this trailer out and allowed me to pay the difference into a model for this year. They were not willing to go that route.

So it shook my confidence in the Product and the support after sale. Which is a shame because I really loved the 39MB model for 2014.

Oh well, I wish all of you great luck with your Redwoods and may you enjoy them for a good long time.
They come with H rated tires as well as Mor/ryde IS. They also have there own leveling sytems. Where did you purchase and did they come off the MSRP?