Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2018, 08:06 PM   #41

<As much of a hardship as it is for us to uproot the 5er and haul it from central Florida to the Crossroads/Redwood factory in Indiana for repairs, I will do it every time>

When I called Redwood after the Keystone takeover I was told that we can no longer bring our RW to the factory in Indiana. For any problems, we have to use our dealer. If they can't fix it, and if Keystone approves they will send a truck and pick up our RW and take it to their factory. In our case (we live in Calif) that would be to their Oregon facility.

As far as RV owners needing to be able to fix their own rigs, for miner things I agree. But when there are major issues, like a flooded underbelly (in our case 3 times for 3 different areas of leakage) and right now we have a problem that will require a slide to come out. Not many have the knowledge and/or equipment and IMO shouldn't have to on an RV under warranty. We love our RW when we're able to use it and things work. We've had too many major issues to list here but others have had much worse than we have. When people have many major problems, even the little do it yourself type things are amplified. Unless we're in their shoes we can't know how we'd react. After 45 years of owning and 15 plus RVs we've had more problems with our RW than all the others put together. That IMO isn't ok.
NewRW Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:09 PM   #42

Interesting - I actually had Keystone schedule a trailer to come pick up my Montana and take it to the factory to fix the frame. Told them I could bring it, but they insisted. In the end, we just left it at the Dealer and traded for another so we could enjoy the summer.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:16 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Interesting - I actually had Keystone schedule a trailer to come pick up my Montana and take it to the factory to fix the frame. Told them I could bring it, but they insisted. In the end, we just left it at the Dealer and traded for another so we could enjoy the summer.
That sounds like exactly what I was told.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:29 PM   #44

Thanks for the info on taking our Redwood directly to the factory for future repairs that are beyond my capability, or that of our service tech that does house calls. It is a bit disheartening to me to learn that door has been shut since the Keystone takeover. One of the very things I was afraid of! When we had our warranty repairs to be done, Redwood was wonderful in the time they took speaking with me prior to the repairs being made, during the time I was at the factory getting the repairs done, and shortly thereafter. They truly made you feel that Crossroads/Redwood cared about the customer, and stood behind their product to the fullest extent. Then I noticed the people that were key in talking with me before, and then arranging an appointment time for me to bring our unit up (not some paid RV service who's driver may or may not care about carefully hauling my 5er) to them so they could fix it and make it right. I will never forget the extra items they fixed and improved while they had it there at the factory. Why do so many good RV manufacturers seem to follow the same curve on the chart of going out of their way to build a quality produce so that they can get their foot inside the door of the RV marketplace, (along with the other many RV available today) and make the customer feel like they are all about customer satisfaction, only to reach their peak for a short time before sliding downhill in almost every aspect. One would think that if they want to be on or near the top of the industry, they would not change, rather they would always strive to be the best and make the customer feel like they are there for our needs when we have a mojor issue with their product. I do not relish the thought of if and when the time comes to have to replace our 2013 Redwood. Sad thing is, we can't even replace it with the same floorplan, as it is no longer available. I'm not liking what I'm seeing that's out there in other brands, with maybe the exception of DRV's Mobile Suite. Personally, I prefer the Redwood.
Eaton Fuller Super 10-speed Transmission
ET Senior Fifthwheel Hitch,articulating air ride pin box
Resident Lead Host @ Ross Prairie Trailhead & Campground
Gary Hage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:39 AM   #45

How times change.... Some of you new owners won't have a clue what I am talking about but some of us that have been here for a bit will know.

Remember the days when Christian (from RW) was on both sites willing to help and talk through our problems?? She was a pleasure to have here and if ONLY RW would post on the sites and possibly resolve a few problems or questions it would be much appreciated!

Guess those days are long gone but was nice wile it lasted.

Steve
Old 08-03-2018, 01:29 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
How times change.... Some of you new owners won't have a clue what I am talking about but some of us that have been here for a bit will know.

Remember the days when Christian (from RW) was on both sites willing to help and talk through our problems?? She was a pleasure to have here and if ONLY RW would post on the sites and possibly resolve a few problems or questions it would be much appreciated!

Guess those days are long gone but was nice wile it lasted.

Steve
I'm happy for those of you that had that level of customer care. One thing we took comfort in was what we thought would be the ability to drive (all the way from Calif) to the RW facility in Indiana for repairs if we kept having major problems. From what others on these forums have said the care their RW got there was beyond spectacular. Hopefully we can get the problems fixed that we and others have without having to almost totally remaking the whole trailer.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:52 AM   #47

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Things change inall industry's. Everything is done to either hold or increase profit margin. The rv industry as a whole has blown wide open, skilled people are no where to be found and the demand for new trailers has totally surpassed the production lines. Get used to it. Like I have said before if you are not handy with a screwdriver or any other tool you will have a life of misery owning an rv,boat etc. Bitching about it will not change anything
QUIT BUYING THEM AND MAYBE THEN THE INDUSTRY WILL GO BACK TO QUALITY
Old 08-03-2018, 02:28 PM   #48

I remember Christian! She was the GM's daughter, and when he left, she left. I think that was when Thor brought in a Keystone travel trailer manager to run things.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:23 PM   #49

Quote:
I remember Christian! She was the GM's daughter, and when he left, she left. I think that was when Thor brought in a Keystone travel trailer manager to run things.
Too bad they both left RW. Do you know where the GM went or did he just retire?
Old 08-03-2018, 08:23 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRW Owner View Post
Too bad they both left RW. Do you know where the GM went or did he just retire?
Oh he didn't retire! I am not sure where he (Jim Lazzarino) landed, but I know the President Andy Cripe resigned and went to a pontoon boat company.

When we took delivery of our Redwood, Tom Montague had left a few months earlier as GM. I always felt he was the visionary for Redwood and he took that with him to Heartland where he is now the GM. I always felt that our Redwood was a true Tom Montague unit.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:57 PM   #51

Quote:
Oh he didn't retire! I am not sure where he (Jim Lazzarino) landed, but I know the President Andy Cripe resigned and went to a pontoon boat company.

When we took delivery of our Redwood, Tom Montague had left a few months earlier as GM. I always felt he was the visionary for Redwood and he took that with him to Heartland where he is now the GM. I always felt that our Redwood was a true Tom Montague unit.
Thanks for the info. This morning I got back on the RVnet forums, concentrating on 5ers. Hadn't checked on them since shortly after buying our RW last April .. Interesting reading. Wonder which pontoon company Andy went to. We have one that we bought in 2003. Haven't had a single problem with it.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:13 PM   #52

I agree Brad, the Tom Montague RWs were the best year models, maybe because we have one. The Landmark 365s are Tom's Heartland creation & I honestly believe it's where the RWs were heading before him & Crossroads got crossways.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:33 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
I agree Brad, the Tom Montague RWs were the best year models, maybe because we have one. The Landmark 365s are Tom's Heartland creation & I honestly believe it's where the RWs were heading before him & Crossroads got crossways.
I agree, that Landmark is a nice unit!
Old 07-09-2019, 10:51 PM   #54

I agree. Our 2017 38RE is nothing but problems. This is our 4th 5th wheel and wanted this fulltime residential for 6 month winter trips south. Everything inside and outside was broken. nobody can fix. Even the slider fell out.
Trailer1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:15 AM   #55

Ours totally the same. This past weekend our fullsized Whirlpool fridge slid or bounced forward. Also now the roof is covered in air pockets. End to end. Can't wait to ditch it. Worse than our first 30 foot Rockwood travel trailer by far. I want my Cameo back.
wekirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:32 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post

I agree with you Danny. Like you, I believe our 2013 36FB which was built in December of 2012 (Pin #3103) was also one of Tom's builds, even though it says Redwood by Thor on the logos. Ours blew the same model year Mobile Suites out of the water when it came to the quality of the interior and exterior finish work, and is ultimately what changed our mind from buying the brand new 2014 Mobile Suite we originally had gone to Lazydays to purchase and instead bought the Redwood new and saved about 10K on the MRSP price. We did not buy it at that price, but rather a model year clearance sale which gave us a heck of a deal. We have loved our choice ever since, and have had very few issues with it. And when we did, Crossroads/Redwood stepped up to the plate and backed their warranty with immediate action to correct the issue, along with other upgrades we weren't even aware were out there!

I don't know what we will do for a replacement if anything ever happens to our 36FB and we have to replace it. If Tom is still at Heartland's Landmark division when we do, (and God I hope we don't) we will have to look at the Landmark 365s, and maybe give them another chance at our business. Our first experience with a Landmark was a 2008 Mount Rushmore that was a disaster!!! It had been wrecked and quietly rebuilt at the Heartland factory in 2011-2012, and placed back out on the road when it probably should have been used solely for salvage. Lesson learned: What looked good on the skin may be very well hiding something disastrous beneath it!
Eaton Fuller Super 10-speed Transmission
ET Senior Fifthwheel Hitch,articulating air ride pin box
Resident Lead Host @ Ross Prairie Trailhead & Campground
Gary Hage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:39 AM   #57

Quote:
I agree, that Landmark is a nice unit!

When our *16* Redwood went to splinters, we really thought that the Landmark would be our next fiver...

We spent a day at the local Landmark dealer and was not impressed at all... They look good from the outside, but once inside,,,, no

they spent all this money on a beautiful paint job and clear coat only to place a vinyl lions head sticker on the side OVER the clear coat ???

The inside felt cheap, we walked up the steps and my wife almost missed a step and leaned on the wall to get her balance and she thought the wall was collapsing.

There was a bunch of stuff that we really didnt like once we st in them for a while...

NOW - - These are just OUR opinions.....

I do know that 2 folks that I follow and follow me on instagram got out of their late model Landmarks for other units... 1 went onto a Riverstone, and the other ???
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:37 AM   #58

I had the 12 month warranty. They fixed a few things but didn’t cover much. Our list was about 30 items in2017. The $4,000 extended warranty covered about $3,000 in2018 and I spent $8,000 on repairs. In 2019 I spent another $3,000 out of pocket. Am so disappointed. Still cannot find desk drawer sliders that bent when desk fell out of pocket while traveling. Dealer will not fix. Cable TV is snowy and cannot find the splitter. 38RE.
Trailer1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:38 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer1234 View Post
I had the 12 month warranty. They fixed a few things but didn’t cover much. Our list was about 30 items in2017. The $4,000 extended warranty covered about $3,000 in2018 and I spent $8,000 on repairs. In 2019 I spent another $3,000 out of pocket. Am so disappointed. Still cannot find desk drawer sliders that bent when desk fell out of pocket while traveling. Dealer will not fix. Cable TV is snowy and cannot find the splitter. 38RE.
Drawer slides should be available at any home improvement store or online.
Cable splitter is most likely in the bedroom ceiling, access by removing one of the ceiling light fixtures.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #60

Measure your slider, look at your local hardware store, if an odd size for them to carry go on Amazon, you will find it there.

Have replaced a couple of mine with no problems and cheaper than a dealer, better also I took my time.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote